Does this work to clean hockey gear?

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Instead of drenching everything in the pool which has chlorine and other matter in it, use a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and just slowly kill away the bacteria that way.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Pyrolemur

Nov 13, 2012
Toronto
I've always hung my gear up/laid it out on the floor to dry it after each use, has worked way better than I expected when I first started doing it.

Used the same gear for years - take the hard plastic out of the pants and any other gear I can and throw them in the wash (cold wash and hang dry) about once a year. After 5-6ish years, you only notice a smell if you get almost sniffing distance to the gear.

Had it hanging in the living room (only space for the rack at that point in time) right behind someone and they didn't even notice there was ho key gear beside them.

I know someone who uses the alcohol spray some have mentioned and mixes a little bit of lemon or something for a nicer scent.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Instead of drenching everything in the pool which has chlorine and other matter in it, use a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and just slowly kill away the bacteria that way.
Does this work for the inside of gloves? I play goal and although I can get most stuff into the washing machine, cleaning my blocker and trapper has always been a problem. Do you think spraying an alcohol/water mixture into the insides and letting it dry would work?

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Does this work for the inside of gloves? I play goal and although I can get most stuff into the washing machine, cleaning my blocker and trapper has always been a problem. Do you think spraying an alcohol/water mixture into the insides and letting it dry would work?
I play goal too.

With my new set of gloves I've been airing them out after every session and then spraying some water and alcohol mix when they're dry to kill the bacteria. I can say that it prevents the worst odors for sure. It'll never get rid of the smell completely, but it's miles better than not doing it at all.

I do completely open the glove though, like the backing and all the finger straps.

Reactions: JoeCool16

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
I air out all my gear. Whatever I can wash (pants and neckguard) gets washed cold on a delicates/bulky setting. I then air dry it. Stuff that can't be washed (blocker, trapper, leg pads, knee pads) gets rubbed with rubbing alcohol. My jersey, jock, and inner gloves later get washed and put in the dryer after the pants finish.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just take your gear (minus skates and helmets) to a laundromat. $10-12 you can put all your gear in 1 massive machine (don't forget to bring laundry soap), 40 minutes later your gear is clean. Take it all home in your now clean hockey bag, air it out for a day. Voila, problem solved!

DO NOT PUT YOUR GEAR IN THE DRYER. EVER. PERIOD.

You're welcome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad