News Article: Does this analysis of the MLB trade deadline apply to the Jets?

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't finds an obvious spot for it:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/did-your-team-blow-it-at-the-trade-deadline/

It is largely a discussion on how teams should think about trading wins in the current season for wins in future seasons. What was particularly interesting, given the Jets issues with many of Chevy's non-moves at the deadlines, is that, for some teams doing nothing is exactly the worst strategy. The article makes the claim that the Jays were in precisely the position that they needed to be either buyers or sellers: standing pat was the worst possible move.

In light of past non-moves by Chevy (the Kane and Stafford trades notwithstanding) around the first few trade deadlines, the Frolik debacle (my opinion) and the growing angst around the Ladd/Buff situations, does Chevy need to be sent a link to this?

I'd be curious what some our resident analysts think and is it applicable to the Jets?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
That's an EXTREMELY analytical view of sports. Basically if you're not going to win it all you need to maximize resources. I'm not sure any fanbase would appreciate that rigid philosophy. If the Jets trade a guy like Frolik at the deadline do they make the playoffs? I'm also not sure the Jets have really been in position to sell in previous years based on who they had on the roster who might be marketable to other teams. I think when they had the opportunity they did sell with a guy like Oduya. Is it better to let a guy like Hainsey play out his contract or have a 5th round pick?

To be honest I believe that Chevy is very aware of these kind of ideas given his previous NHL gig.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Do you believe that a 4th for Hainsey would have turned the tide? Or that getting a 2nd for Jokinen would have been more helpful than the damage done by putting Slater/O'Dell/Cormier out as the 2/3/4Cs?

For me, unless the return is huge I'd almost rather they let Byfuglien play out his contract just so I can watch this place burn to the ground. Maybe what's-his-name-with-the-hashtags will even come back.

:naughty:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think getting a return for expiring UFA's has become one of the most overblown strategies around. Every situation is different.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think getting a return for expiring UFA's has become one of the most overblown strategies around. Every situation is different.

When the age to be a UFA was 31 and you got compensated for losing that person, I would agree that it wasn't a big deal. But now that it's 27 years old without compensation... you are getting players entering FA status when they are in their primes. Losing these players without assets coming back can be a big blow to a team.

And everything depends upon the value of the UFA. Ladd and Buff are valuable assets... Slater not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad