Speculation: Does Okposo get moved this weekend?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
What about Winnipeg? If Frolik leaves, they'll have to replace him. Just throwing this out: Okposo for Ehlers?

No more 20 year olds, IMO. You're taking two steps back.

Anyway, WPG might be losing two RWs in Stafford and Frolik. What about Okposo / Reinhart / Nielsen for Ladd / Byfuglien / pick? Probably too many moving parts.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
No more 20 year olds, IMO. You're taking two steps back.

Anyway, WPG might be losing two RWs in Stafford and Frolik. What about Okposo / Reinhart / Nielsen for Ladd / Byfuglien / pick? Probably too many moving parts.

No thanks. I like Ladd, but I am not a huge Byfuglien fan. Ladd is a winner, though...

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
The problem is that the NHL middle class no longer exists. If you're a pretty good player, like Okposo, the inflated market says he's worthy of an absurd $7M, which I don't think he should get. If he does get traded, it will be for financial reasons, and in that case, I'd say rightfully so. Needing to re-sign Tavares is not too far off, and what's the cap going to look like at that point? The younger guys like Ryan Strome, Ryan Pulock, and others will need to be re-signed within the next three years. If an asset, even if it's a draft pick can be acquired in lieu of $7M for Okposo, I think it has to be done. However, I'd much rather see Bailey go, he's overpaid right now, and when his contract is up, he'll naturally seek a raise, albeit, undeserving. If it cam down to it, I'd rather keep Okposo and lose Bailey, as it would only add $4M to the payroll.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The problem is that the NHL middle class no longer exists. If you're a pretty good player, like Okposo, the inflated market says he's worthy of an absurd $7M, which I don't think he should get.

We should get Bernie Sanders on the case.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The problem is that the NHL middle class no longer exists. If you're a pretty good player, like Okposo, the inflated market says he's worthy of an absurd $7M, which I don't think he should get. If he does get traded, it will be for financial reasons, and in that case, I'd say rightfully so. Needing to re-sign Tavares is not too far off, and what's the cap going to look like at that point? The younger guys like Ryan Strome, Ryan Pulock, and others will need to be re-signed within the next three years. If an asset, even if it's a draft pick can be acquired in lieu of $7M for Okposo, I think it has to be done. However, I'd much rather see Bailey go, he's overpaid right now, and when his contract is up, he'll naturally seek a raise, albeit, undeserving. If it cam down to it, I'd rather keep Okposo and lose Bailey, as it would only add $4M to the payroll.

Bailey is not overpaid. Stop with that narrative. It's absurd. Absurd. Who cares what Bailey might ask for when his current contract is up? If he's not performing or there are better options, you simply don't sign him. You don't make a decision on what to do with a guy because of what he might ask for in a few years...

The other portion is correct, about the lack of a middle class. The issue is that these GM's keep overpaying guys, raising the value of everyone else in the same tier. Kane and Toews getting 10.5 million just set the bar for Tavares there. Naturally Okposo, who is a tier or two below that, will likely be looking for something like 7 million. It's crazy.

I don't think Okposo will be traded at the draft, and I don't expect him to be traded at all...unless he's really firm on his $ amount being too high or his term being too long. I'd be comfortable with Okposo at 6 million for 6 years and something close to that is ultimately what I foresee happening.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Bailey is not overpaid. Stop with that narrative. It's absurd. Absurd. Who cares what Bailey might ask for when his current contract is up? If he's not performing or there are better options, you simply don't sign him. You don't make a decision on what to do with a guy because of what he might ask for in a few years...

The other portion is correct, about the lack of a middle class. The issue is that these GM's keep overpaying guys, raising the value of everyone else in the same tier. Kane and Toews getting 10.5 million just set the bar for Tavares there. Naturally Okposo, who is a tier or two below that, will likely be looking for something like 7 million. It's crazy.

I don't think Okposo will be traded at the draft, and I don't expect him to be traded at all...unless he's really firm on his $ amount being too high or his term being too long. I'd be comfortable with Okposo at 6 million for 6 years and something close to that is ultimately what I foresee happening.

We're 66% in agreement. Bailey is a marginal NHL player. I won't back down from that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We're 66% in agreement. Bailey is a marginal NHL player. I won't back down from that.

And by every metric available, other than your eye test and bias, his contract, production, and salary is fine. It's not a sweetheart deal, but he's on a fair contract for what he is.

Go compare him to other guys around the league. He's on par or better than their deals.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
KO might be on the block or not. Snow could be posturing, which i'm sure other GM's are doing as well. all the GM's are throwing out their dollar store lures, trying to catch big fish right now, so i for one, am not going to evaluate anything until it is done. if it gets done.

i still think that if Snow can turn KO into a similar value, defensive defenceman, he should do it. granted, in a few years, we will likely have a glut of defencemen, but then he should be looking to tweek things again then.

Snow should always be moving, looking, listening. dipping his toe in the water, kicking the tires, floating like a butterfly...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lucic is being shopped heavily now. I think once/if him and Sharp are moved, that will open up the interest for Okposo.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
No thanks. I like Ladd, but I am not a huge Byfuglien fan. Ladd is a winner, though...

Ladd has been a far more durable player than Okposo, although older.

60 pt left wingers are much more rare than 65-70 pt right wingers. And look at the Jets. They need a LW more desperately than NYI.

If there were to part with Ladd, they'd want to expand the deal to get back Lee or Nelson. And I don't see NYI doing that. Still, if there were an interesting team to trade with, it would be WPG. They've got such an interesting variety of prospects. Morrissey and Hellebuyck, in particular. And 2 picks in the first round. They've got a lot of ammo.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL

I take it Bailey did something to you personally, because your hate is clouding your judgement. You can not back down from it all you want, but you would still be wrong.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
And by every metric available, other than your eye test and bias, his contract, production, and salary is fine. It's not a sweetheart deal, but he's on a fair contract for what he is.

Go compare him to other guys around the league. He's on par or better than their deals.

You go to the numbers, I go to the absolute lack of enthusiasm and competitiveness.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I take it Bailey did something to you personally, because your hate is clouding your judgement. You can not back down from it all you want, but you would still be wrong.

If someone came up to me and said, "Josh Bailey is a wonderful guy." - I would absolutely believe that. This is not a personal attack on Josh Bailey, I just want him to be a better hockey player. Has nothing to do with numbers. It has to do with playing hard, and I just don't get that out of him.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

Bailey has a 5 year contract and has yet to score over 50 pts a season. He is a career -30 and gets 3.7 million dollars a year his final year will be making 4 million dollars. Once that contract is up, do you honestly believe he deserves a raise with the stats he has provided? Spare me the he has shown improvement. Josh Bailey is not a core player on this team and has done little to elevate this team to the next level. Okposo has!

I'd rather trade Bailey and use that money saved on KO or go out and spend elsewhere.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Bailey has a 5 year contract and has yet to score over 50 pts a season. He is a career -30 and gets 3.7 million dollars a year his final year will be making 4 million dollars. Once that contract is up, do you honestly believe he deserves a raise with the stats he has provided? Spare me the he has shown improvement. Josh Bailey is not a core player on this team and has done little to elevate this team to the next level. Okposo has!

I'd rather trade Bailey and use that money saved on KO or go out and spend elsewhere.

Completely agreed with this. Bailey did not deserve his contract, and really hasn't done much to prove otherwise.

I'd move him in a heartbeat.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

If I met Josh Bailey today id shake his hand and have a fun chat. I am sure he is a terrific guy but in the final minute of a game 7. I dont want him anywhere near on ice. Sorry.. He is a C- player. We need to accept it and move on. If we keep him then regulate him to his role and not put him on line 1 pretending he is an allstar

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
If I met Josh Bailey today id shake his hand and have a fun chat. I am sure he is a terrific guy but in the final minute of a game 7. I dont want him anywhere near on ice. Sorry.. He is a C- player. We need to accept it and move on. If we keep him then regulate him to his role and not put him on line 1 pretending he is an allstar

I am not going to continue this conversation past this point, since Bailey is such an inflammatory topic for some reason, but the numbers (as do the hips) don't lie. If that is your definition of a C- player, then the league is plagued with mediocrity.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-even-strength-scoring-leaders/2014/

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Josh Bailey will never make the NHL Hall of Fame, but he can be inducted into the HF Boards Hall of Fame right now. Every thread ends up being about him.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
bailey is an average player with a top 10 pick pedigree....hence why he is polarizing....nothing more nothing less

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
bailey is an average player with a top 10 pick pedigree....hence why he is polarizing....nothing more nothing less

If he was a 2nd round pick we would never be having this conversation. I agree with you 100%. That years draft was "polarizing" as well. Take a gander.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2008e.html

Besides Stamkos (1st Overall) and Stepan (51st overall) and Nyquist (121st overall) who would been the Islanders better suited to take at Forward?

Stamkos was gone and unless you pulled a magic rabbit out of you butt knowing Stepan/Nyquist would be better what else was there???? Oddly enough he is one of the highest point producers in the draft (at forward).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad