Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Why are we talking about sending Engvall down?
The guy got beat out by the youngest player of all teams in this qualifier. Then Barabanov entering the picture next season likely. Plus he has done nothing to impress management in this extended season training camp. Its not looking good for him actually. Gauthier either.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I hope he's able to sleep tonight lol. Going to need his energy. Dude must be so excited.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hope he stays healthy... small, waterbug..hope he stays out of the train tracks. Look forward to watching him. Adds another level of excitement (the opportunity to watch a young draft pick).

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hope he stays healthy... small, waterbug..hope he stays out of the train tracks. Look forward to watching him. Adds another level of excitement (the opportunity to watch a young draft pick).
Doesn't strike me as the type to get run over. He's clearly highly skilled. There's a reason the small high skilled guys never get run over, they're shifty. They've been small their whole lives, it's not new to them. I think Robertson welcomes physicality though. I don't think it'll be an issue. Looking forward to seeing him grow as the series progresses

Reactions: BayStBullies

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Doesn't strike me as the type to get run over. He's clearly highly skilled. There's a reason the small high skilled guys never get run over, they're shifty. They've been small their whole lives, it's not new to them. I think Robertson welcomes physicality though. I don't think it'll be an issue. Looking forward to seeing him grow as the series progresses
Well Robertson never tries to avoid contact so I don't think it's as ingrained in him as small shifty forwards like Gaudreau or Marner. He just has to play and learn what he can get away with at the NHL level

Reactions: Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Well Robertson never tries to avoid contact so I don't think it's as ingrained in him as small shifty forwards like Gaudreau or Marner. He just has to play and learn what he can get away with at the NHL level
Agreed. That's why I added in that I think he welcomes it. Certainly more than the above players mentioned. You're exactly right, it'll be the learning curve of what he can and can't do at this level and pace. But I think he's pretty hard nosed for his size and will get it figured out sooner than later

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The guy got beat out by the youngest player of all teams in this qualifier. Then Barabanov entering the picture next season likely. Plus he has done nothing to impress management in this extended season training camp. Its not looking good for him actually. Gauthier either.

Still worth keeping. We utilised LTIR space the whole year, it's good to have capable NHL depth when injuries inevitably occur.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

Neither Barabanov or Robertson are centres, so Gauthier's spot is fine.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Couple good shifts and shots today.
Not exactly tearing it up every shift but at least the effort is there every shift. Drew a penalty or 2 I think. Speedy.

so far so good

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Couple good shifts and shots today.
Not exactly tearing it up every shift but at least the effort is there every shift. Drew a penalty or 2 I think. Speedy.

so far so good

Yea i’ve seen him win races to the puck that i expected CBJ to get to first. he’s gotta keep that up and maybe make sure he’s got an eye on the cross pass to matthews if it opens up. Think he missed an opportunity to slide it across to matthews when he was ready for a one-timer.

Reactions: The Cobra

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's a mad man out there. Watching him cut Foligno off and make a play and then get drilled into the boards was pretty scary, but it is impressive how fearless he is. He also loves to shoot from everywhere. He does have to clean some things up but it's easy to see how he made the team and it was the right decision

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Robertson works really hard. That keeps him up to speed positionally and defensively and he has jump all over pucks. He’s doing exactly what he needs. Just pot a goal now for his first will be great. It’s coming top stick ;) or a bounce off his A$$

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
If the Leafs go 11/7 in the next game, Robertson is the player I drop from the line up, through no fault of his own. He's feisty, a better skater than I expected, has a wicked shot - did he wound Jones during one of the power plays? - and hasn't hurt the team. Great for him, well done. But if Keefe decides to dress 7 D, I'm on board with dropping NR.

Reactions: kb

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
If the Leafs go 11/7 in the next game, Robertson is the player I drop from the line up, through no fault of his own. He's feisty, a better skater than I expected, has a wicked shot - did he wound Jones during one of the power plays? - and hasn't hurt the team. Great for him, well done. But if Keefe decides to dress 7 D, I'm on board with dropping NR.

The least effective forward so far (outside of Gauthier) has been Spezza, IMO.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Ya i don't know how you drop this kid if you need to drop a forward. Engvall or Spezza would be much easier choices. Engvall is all skating and little IQ/handles it seems to me, which makes him quite useless at times when we possess the puck.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I've been impressed with his decision making so far. Not many junior-like moves that exposure his inexperience. He's also got the 'dog on a bone' mentality which is what the Leafs need more of in their top 9.

He just needs to add some more explosiveness and speed to his game, as well as strength on his skates.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The bench is running fine with quick changes and i really can’t see them going 11/7. Where did you get that idea. Thats not going to happen man. Some people are pumping Robertson that he could be a top 6 and you are taking him out first. To much contrast for me to take this lightly. Thats wrong man, its just wrong. Seems wrong anyways ha

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The bench is running fine with quick changes and i really can’t see them going 11/7. Where did you get that idea. Thats not going to happen man. Some people are pumping Robertson that he could be a top 6 and you are taking him out first. To much contrast for me to take this lightly. Thats wrong man, its just wrong. Seems wrong anyways ha

Where the idea? Marincin. :eek:
Could be top 6...but not yet.
Contrast for you...keep the passion.
Wrong? Wouldn't be my first time. :laugh:

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Robertson looks bigger on the ice than I thought. He has that deceptive size like Yamamoto.
Hah, he looks a touch smaller than I thought he would, having seen him play a decent bit in the OHL/WJC. Like I think he looks noticeably smaller than Kerfoot, our next smaller player, while I thought that size difference would be less noticeable.

He’s playing well though, I’d definitely give him the 3LW sport again next game. And likely keep him there until Johnsson returns.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Robertson has more then held up. He hasn't been overly flashy but he has played a good 3rd line game, and thats the important part. He works really hard as well. Had a couple errors here and there, but overall very solid.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Gotta stay out of the box. Keep shooting kid. Future is bright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad