Does Edmonton Deserve McDavid/Eichel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalDuder

Dec 26, 2011
NY
I'd refuse to play there if I were them. They're not even a sinking ship anymore. The Oilers are the Titanic, covered in seaweed at the bottom of the ocean. Giving them yet another first is just allowing their horrible management to continue this vicious circle.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Oilers management doesn't deserve it but the fans sure as hell do. It will piss me of if we get one of them and Klowe and co. are still in charge!

yup would be good for you guys to see the penthouse cleaned out before the draft.

Would be good to do it within the next few weeks and give a chance for a new president/management crew to be settled in before the trade deadline.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I blame no one for refusing to sign with Edmonton. At this point, it's a smart developmental decision not to.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Oilers need to get rid of Lowe and MacTavish, start fresh, make a few trades, get some D-men and then draft McDavid. They would be fine after that.

That's a whole lot to do and hope goes right. You can replace Lowe and MacTavish, but you have to make sure you get better people (though a lot might argue you can't possibly do worse, I'm sure you could somehow do worse). Getting some Dmen would be great if they get the right Dmen for the right prices. It looks like the easiest thing in that list is getting McDavid, and even that isn't much of a guarantee.

I do agree, though, that Edmonton is going to need a major overhaul in management, holes properly filled on the roster and then probably still some luck to correct this thing any time soon.

As for the OP's question, it isn't about whether or not a team deserves to draft at a certain spot. They will likely be near or at the bottom of the standings at the end of the year, so if they win the lottery they have fulfilled the things necessary to draft any player they please.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
No, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. Nor is there anything we can do to stop people from complaining about it.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I like this hivemind of McDavid, who's supposed to be a generational talent, who will end up busting if he goes to Edmonton but won't if he goes elsewhere. :laugh:

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
No team deserves four 1st overall picks in six years.

The rules should have been changed long ago to make sure teams can't keep doing this.

Ex. No more than three top 5 picks over a five year period; teams cannot pick 1st overall in consecutive years.

Easy solution. The NHL should hire me.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Agreed.

People always say "the Oilers" and lump everyone together. Don't blame "the Oilers" for what is going on in Edmonton, blame the three or four people responsible. That does not mean the fans deserve to suffer.

Edmonton is a couple firings and a couple of trades from being a different franchise.

Well that's the problem. If McDavid turns that franchise around, guess who takes credit for "building" a success? Kevin Lowe and MacT will be recognized as incompetent managers who needed the system to build a franchise. Had they been located in any other city, the tickets would not sell and the owner would not have received a paid-for arena, so the business would have fold and relocated somewhere that ensured managers are held accountable.

No, Kevin Lowe does not deserve McDavid. Edmontonians who continue to pay for tickets and support incompetence don't deserve success. Dumb people who spend their money on poor products deserve poverty, not wealth.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Does Edmonton management deserve McDavid or Eichel? No.

Do the Edmonton fans deserve McDavid or Eichel? Yeah, they've put up with a lot of stink.

To me it evens out. If it happens, it happens. If not, then I don't really mind.

Bps21*

I think the best forward my team has had in my lifetime is the concussed end of lafontaine's career.

Can I haz talent?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
No team deserves four 1st overall picks in six years.

The rules should have been changed long ago to make sure teams can't keep doing this.

Ex. No more than three top 5 picks over a five year period; teams cannot pick 1st overall in consecutive years.

Easy solution. The NHL should hire me.

I've seen this idea or similar ones for a while now. The trouble is that the BoG/GMs will throw a fit. What happens if their team hits a skid for two or more years?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction, but I was thinking about it today reading a couple of other threads.

Given what Edmonton has done with Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov, do you feel as though the team isn't deserving off a franchise changing player like McDavid or Eichel?

If not, what franchise deserves or would benefit from either of those players the most?

They deserve whatever the rules allow them to have. It's really that simple. This is not a moral question.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
I've seen this idea or similar ones for a while now. The trouble is that the BoG/GMs will throw a fit. What happens if their team hits a skid for two or more years?

As far as I can tell, this would literally only apply to 2 teams: Edmonton and Florida. And Florida is pushing for a playoff spot this year.

28 other GMs would be on board with it.

Bps21*

The problem is you can't just do the one thing. Limiting how many times you can pick high in a short span makes sense. But only if you limit the number of NTCs that teams can hand out. If you are at the bottom...you can't even trade for decent players anymore because everyone gets NTCs and won't go to bottom teams. Same with UFAs. Top guys are Not signing with a bad team...so bad team stats bad. Shocking. Not much you can do about that one though. It's why it's funny that the one thing they keep tinkering with is the only way bad teams can get out.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
They deserve whatever the rules allow them to have. It's really that simple. This is not a moral question.

I agree with this point.

Besides, if all their first round picks developed properly, It would be really impressive if they got that team under the cap.

The cap system helps even the draft/tanking.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Well that's the problem. If McDavid turns that franchise around, guess who takes credit for "building" a success? Kevin Lowe and MacT will be recognized as incompetent managers who needed the system to build a franchise. Had they been located in any other city, the tickets would not sell and the owner would not have received a paid-for arena, so the business would have fold and relocated somewhere that ensured managers are held accountable.

No, Kevin Lowe does not deserve McDavid. Edmontonians who continue to pay for tickets and support incompetence don't deserve success. Dumb people who spend their money on poor products deserve poverty, not wealth.

Even if the Oil turned it around, I hope the fans will still not stop booing Lowe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad