Does Chipchura has been really underrated ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH Wizard

I think Chip offensive skills have been underrated.In the first half of the season last year , He was the N#1 north american prospect after that , He got injure and that slowed down him a lot.He had difficlties to score after this injury and because of that He felt down in the rankings before the draft.He's now playing without injury and He's in the top 10 in points in the WHL.He has more points then Ladd and He's playing on a poorer team.His team aren't scoring , him and Colliton are almost doing all the job offensively.(He even doesn't have a ''A'' :shakehead: )

Leader in points in the WHL:
GP G A PTS PIM
1 Ryan Stone Brandon Wheat Kings 23 14 24 38 44
2 Eric Fehr Brandon Wheat Kings 23 22 12 34 18
3 Ryan Keller Saskatoon Blades 24 21 13 34 21
4 Gilbert Brule Vancouver Giants 24 13 19 32 70
5 Clarke MacArthur Medicine Hat Tigers 21 10 22 32 45
6 Colton Yellow Horn Lethbridge Hurricanes 25 12 19 31 16
7 Stefan Meyer Medicine Hat Tigers 21 17 12 29 33
8 Tim Konsorada Brandon Wheat Kings 23 9 20 29 18
9 Wacey Rabbit Saskatoon Blades 24 12 15 27 22
10 Kyle Chipchura Prince Albert Raiders 25 11 16 27 32

When people were talking about Chip they were generally saying that He lacks of offensive skills but He's still a great two-way center.IMO He proved that He's solid defensively while able to score.

So in your opinion does Chipchura has been underrated ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
hell yea he's been underrated, he's not gonna be a big goal scorer or bone cruncher but he can go all out and give it all he's got. he has strong work ethic and above average leadership.

Vik

Nov 18, 2004
From what I've seen of him, it looks like he isn't a skilled player. He's not going to beat many defenders one-on-one. However, he is a smart player and did some things offensively that I liked (examples: drag and shoot, using the defender as a screen, that kinda thing). He also isn't afraid to go to the front of the net and combine that with power play time and it's gonna result in good things (almost half of his goals are on the power play (5 of 11)).

Really, he would have almost certainly gone earlier if he hadn't been injured.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Never seen him play, but his numbers are about what I expected of him this year. His numbers aren't exactly mind-blowing.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I really don't see him going any higher than he did in the draft. For every guy he may have gone above, there's a guy below him who could just as easily beat him out.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I heard somewhere that he had like a point on 50% on his team's goal. That's freaking awesome. When you take a simple look at it, no, 27 points in 25 games isn't mind-blowing but for a Prince Albert Raiders' player, yea, it is.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Epsilon said:
I really don't see him going any higher than he did in the draft. For every guy he may have gone above, there's a guy below him who could just as easily beat him out.

Hum... he's outscoring Andrew Ladd so far. And Ladd's main asset was supposed to be his scoring hability... because as we all know, Chipchura's got the intangibles. So I definitely think he would have gone higher.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
markov` said:
I heard somewhere that he had like a point on 50% on his team's goal. That's freaking awesome. When you take a simple look at it, no, 27 points in 25 games isn't mind-blowing but for a Prince Albert Raiders' player, yea, it is.
Thats a good point, on a good team Chipchura could probly have alot more points.

CH Wizard

markov` said:
Hum... he's outscoring Andrew Ladd so far. And Ladd's main asset was supposed to be his scoring hability... because as we all know, Chipchura's got the intangibles. So I definitely think he would have gone higher.

Yeah and the Calgary Hitmens are a good team , Prince Albert are a team who have difficulties to score right now !! Put one good winger with Chip and He will respond (He's doing well with Colliton).So it's a big surprise nobody would think now that Chip has more points then Ladd.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
markov` said:

On the other hand, he's not the only one who might have gone higher. Meszaros and Schremp are two guys that could easily be taken before Chipchura at this point. Chipchura has some good talent but we should at least wait since he has done anything at the professional level before saying that he's underrated and should have gone higher. At this point it's totally pointless to argue about who's been underrated or not from the 2004 crop.

I know that Habs fan including myself can be happy to have a good prospect with some physical abilities around, but please, don't get ahead of yourselves. It seems like the only thing Habs fan are doing on the prospect board is telling people just how much their prospect X is underrated. You may think it, but as a matter of fact, other people don't give a damn about it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
markov` said:
Hum... he's outscoring Andrew Ladd so far. And Ladd's main asset was supposed to be his scoring hability... because as we all know, Chipchura's got the intangibles.

I don't think Ladd's main asset is scoring in the least. Rather, he's a very well-rounded prospect and the reason many people are skeptical of his high draft position is because they often question his offensive ceiling. I think he is low risk with a very good upside.

Chipchura is a really good pick, but I prefer Ladd slightly. Chipchura is a better "bargain" where he was drafted, though. First good Habs pick in the first round in years, IMO.

Haven't watched the Hitmen this year but statistically, pretty much the whole team is underwhelming. Defenseman Jeff Shultz, another 2004 first rounder, is still without a goal after 24 games. He had decent offensive stats last year and a decent number of goals. Getzlaf, Shultz and Ladd are headed for worse years statistically but especially in Juniors, all it takes is a hot streak to put things back on track. Things tend to change very fast (Alex Picard looked crappy at the start of the season and now look at him!)

The Hitmen have some great players on paper. I'd like to see a game.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
awesome` said:
On the other hand, he's not the only one who might have gone higher. Meszaros and Schremp are two guys that could easily be taken before Chipchura at this point. Chipchura has some good talent but we should at least wait since he has done anything at the professional level before saying that he's underrated and should have gone higher. At this point it's totally pointless to argue about who's been underrated or not from the 2004 crop.

I agree. Very early but it's always good to keep an eye on things.

One might argue that some players not taken in the first round are soaring up and looking like first round selection right now.

And it's not the end of it. The "rankings" will continue to change frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad