Does certain type of hockey tape and/or wax matter?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I stumbled across this video today while looking into the Novium.

Playing through mites all the way until first year of college, I never used wax or different brands of tape. (Just used one basic brand that the hockey shops had at the rink, or at my local sporting goods store).

Does it actually matter or help performance? Or am I fine without it?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Help performance? Not sure about that. I have heard some people at my rink complain that Howie's tape is garbage and falls apart quicker. I have heard kids ask their parents if they "have the good wax with them?". Think it is just about what lasts longer.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
I've used sitcky wax before and really liked it. I've used wax that was slick and hated it- puck kept sliding off my blade. So I'd say yeah the type of wax matters.

For tape, I've used crappy tape (think it was Howies) that came off my blade halfway through a game. Renfrew seems to be solid.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Amen to electric tape! Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita's as well as Plil Estposito's sticks were wrapped heel to toe with it. On the other the end, Bobby Orr used maybe 2 inches of tape on his, all were goal scorers. Me I always used white 2" tape, cause it lasted longer. :laugh:

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I remember my dad taping my stick with some weird combination of fibreglass tape and electrical tape, because he never wanted to buy a 2nd stick in a year. The sticks sure did last, not a nick on my Koho 221s I still have them today. The blade was practically a pillow. :squint:

These days, I don't know why, but black tape seems to last longer than white. Is that crazy? I don't know the brands, but I feel I am constantly peeling and replacing the white tape, but can let the black ride for a lot longer? Is it just an optical illusion??? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad