Does Anybody Here Remember Vera Lynn? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXVIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
"The players have offered the owners concessions worth about a billion dollars."

They did? When?
Yes they did, in 2004 when they agreed to the cap which saw their share of 75%(?) go down to 57%. This is what you are dealing with in Fehr 0:

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
I think the NHL needs to go ahead with its best offer in 2 weeks as a take it or leave it or agree to that framework by December 15th or if not tell them 12/16 the 2012-13 season may R.I.P 2 months before they cancelled it in 2005. Judging from Daly's comments, the league has dropped the gloves and will not flinch on cancelling the season in Mid-December.

I think they've already put out their best offer, I don't think the owners are willing to go further.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Nope. I stopped paying attention to lockout related news a long time ago.

My response to Bettman if I was Donald Fehr? I'll take your '2 weeks' and raise you a month. :nod:

yep lets play poker with it. Ill call you and if you don't accept last offer, season is cancelled. ALL IN!!!

mikeda1940

Jul 24, 2010
Cleveland, OH
No they don't.

The owners can easily find replacement players, which will eventually break the NHLPA.

The players can't find 30 different billionaires to start a new league and pay them an average of 2.1M a season.

Easy solution. Release all 700 NHL players out of their contract and allow them to sign with the ECHL. The NHL teams can then sign players 701-1400 to fill their clubs. Lets see which league ends up being more successful in the end.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Easy solution. Release all 700 NHL players out of their contract and allow them to sign with the ECHL. The NHL teams can then sign players 701-1400 to fill their clubs. Lets see which league ends up being more successful in the end.

Ill put money on the NHL. Have fun riding a bus!!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think the league with teams in the large, TV rich markets with a lot of money will be a bit more successful than the Utah Grizzlies and Wheeling Nailers, despite the drop-off in talent. The ECHL won't be able to sustain those players.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
That is not why many are with the league(owners). Many believe Fehr is not negotiating in good faith and has led the players down a dead end path.

Yeah, I'm with the owners because they offered the PA the best revenue split in North american pro sports in time to start a full season. Context matters.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

The ECHL couldn't even afford 1 single NHL players meal demands let alone a contract

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I finally had to respond to one of these TSN Pro Player guys, Scott Cullen

Scott Cullen ‏@tsnscottcullen

I'm fascinated by NHL assertion that they have moved in the players' direction -- I was unaware of any player gains in CBA proposals.

I had responded that the NHL wasn't technically wrong, only their initial offer was so low that by going up they were, in essence, "moving towards the players' direction". I also had told him that most fans believe that the PA should accept 50/50.

His response?

Scott Cullen ‏@tsnscottcullen

@TheRockLobst3r Some fans believe PA should accept 50-50. Most fans believe contracts should be honoured too.

I've finally had enough of this. I responded that in the last CBA, you know, the one that Fehr likes to bring up saying "The owners got everything they wanted" in the last CBA, DIDN'T PAY OUT 100% of contracts (from what I've understood of the Escrow system).

And that I'm mad at both sides, because they are still fighting over how to split up money that we, the fans, will be giving to them...and it's a shame that the NHL and the PA believes that fans are just going to come back and continue giving the NHL record revenues.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

NHL, and it's hilarious to suggest anything else.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

If this happened, I guarantee that at least half of the 700 NHLPA members would jump **** to make their millions of dollars in the NHL rather than make their thousands of dollars in the ****ing ECHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad