[DobberProspects] Cam Robinson's 2019 Draft Rankings (Preliminary Top 62)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
nice list, but is he going by hype also with Bowen Byram , being ranked so high? Even Giants fans don't think he's a top 3er.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
nice list, but is he going by hype also with Bowen Byram , being ranked so high? Even Giants fans don't think he's a top 3er.

I don't think any of the d in this draft can compete with the top tier of forwards. There is an electric group of players. i think only one D will crack the top 10 at the draft this year. With how many quality centers are available it's going to be tough.

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
My forwards are pretty much the same:

Hughes

Kakko
Cozens
Podkolzin
Turcotte

Krebs
Newhook
Dach

Newhook has the greatest chance to jump up a tier but I'd need to see more of him, particularly against better competition.

I'm not convinced there's a D that's worth a top 10 pick right now. Broberg definitely has a good shot if he picks up where he left off at the Hlinka and maintains that level throughout the season. But Byram would need to really breakout. I haven't seen a single elite trait from him so far, and vanilla D are never worth a top 10 pick IMO no matter how "safe" they appear to be.

I agree with you on the defenseman. IMO there isn't one guy that stands out amongst the rest. I think Byram is overrated. He does all the little things right but I do think he's very vanilla. Broberg and Honka seem like the guys who might have a chance at rising a lot this year, the rest I think will just be safe picks and won't move much. Byram and York stand out to me as probably the safest out of all of them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think I've seen him listed over 180. I have a few notes scribbled about him getting kept to the outside when pushing in, and losing a few net front battles. You're right that almost all 17/18 yos need strength.
Ben Brinkman, 17, leaving Edina hockey early to play for Gophers next season
Halfway down the article Brinkman is listed at 210lb. I've stood beside him this summer (I'm over 6", 185), and he's at least my height, and much thicker and stronger. He has always been very strong (was known for hitting moonshot HR's before he quit baseball)...I think he played football last year, too. He is the strongest guy I've seen go through the local HS since Anders Lee.

I've seen him play since he was a little kid. Strength is one of the last things you need to worry about with him.

Reactions: CrazyJoeDavola3

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree with you on the defenseman. IMO there isn't one guy that stands out amongst the rest. I think Byram is overrated. He does all the little things right but I do think he's very vanilla. Broberg and Honka seem like the guys who might have a chance at rising a lot this year, the rest I think will just be safe picks and won't move much. Byram and York stand out to me as probably the safest out of all of them.

I've said it before Byram is an elite skater but there is a defencemen that does something better than Byram does it in every category in this draft. But none of those defencemen do it all as good as him. He is easily the most well rounded Dman in this draft class by wide margin. People call it vanilla because he doesn't wow you with his skating or offensive instincts. Everyone wants to be wowed but they forget the best defencemen in the game are the ones that can do it all. Not the one-trick ponies.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
Ben Brinkman, 17, leaving Edina hockey early to play for Gophers next season
Halfway down the article Brinkman is listed at 210lb. I've stood beside him this summer (I'm over 6", 185), and he's at least my height, and much thicker and stronger. He has always been very strong (was known for hitting moonshot HR's before he quit baseball)...I think he played football last year, too. He is the strongest guy I've seen go through the local HS since Anders Lee.

I've seen him play since he was a little kid. Strength is one of the last things you need to worry about with him.

That’s good stuff for me to know. I appreciate it.

For a lot of these guys (the ones with considerably less publicity) I go by what I see on the ice. And at this stage, some of that can be skewed by a single viewing where something happens that maybe doesn’t usually.

I’ve made a note!

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
I've said it before Byram is an elite skater but there is a defencemen that does something better than Byram does it in every category in this draft. But none of those defencemen do it all as good as him. He is easily the most well rounded Dman in this draft class by wide margin. People call it vanilla because he doesn't wow you with his skating or offensive instincts. Everyone wants to be wowed but they forget the best defencemen in the game are the ones that can do it all. Not the one-trick ponies.

I agree. There's obviously some players that might end up having better careers but I think that it's fair to say that he has the best chance of at least having an NHL career.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The lack of defense will most likely push some defenders up higher than they should.

isn't the a gm's job? scouts job is just to rank the players from best to worst, no? if there are 4 forwards clearly better then bowman they will just put it down? I don't think they will randomly "Ok, looks like I should boost him up 7 spots"? don't think so.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
isn't the a gm's job? scouts job is just to rank the players from best to worst, no? if there are 4 forwards clearly better then bowman they will just put it down? I don't think they will randomly "Ok, looks like I should boost him up 7 spots"? don't think so.
It’s a GM’s job, but that doesn’t mean that people will subconsciously slide in some defenders higher than they should be. (Not accusing Cam of anything here, just pointing out it can be anyone).

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
It’s a GM’s job, but that doesn’t mean that people will subconsciously slide in some defenders higher than they should be. (Not accusing Cam of anything here, just pointing out it can be anyone).

Barrett Hayton is a great example of this in the draft. Slide him in the 2019 draft year and he's a mid to late first rounder. Some teams use the best player available method and others will pass for a positional player they need.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
It’s pretty bold to predict only 2 OHLers going in the 1st round (would have only been one 2 years ago).

I think it’s pretty safe to say that you need to watch the OHL a whole lot more.

Arthur Kaliyev scored 31 goals as an underage this past year. Do you have any idea how rare and special that is? I mean, there’s not even a question that he will be taken in the top 31 of players next year.

Vukojevic will probably be the 2nd or 3rd player taken out of the OHL, and it will be long before the 2nd round.

And if all of these small, speedy, skilled dynamos are going to go in the 1st round, then you can probably pencil Nick Robertson into your top 30.

Blake Murray will likely be battling for a top 20 spot IMO.

Edit: There is no bantam draft in the OHL fyi

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'll be completely honest, I have only recently started paying attention to the draft, and don't consider myself an expert on the prospects at this point, but you seem to have Josh Williams far lower than most other current lists. I saw him play at the Hlinka, and he looked good to me. He appears to have an NHL release.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

then they are not doing their jobs properly.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
It’s pretty bold to predict only 2 OHLers going in the 1st round (would have only been one 2 years ago).

I think it’s pretty safe to say that you need to watch the OHL a whole lot more.

Arthur Kaliyev scored 31 goals as an underage this past year. Do you have any idea how rare and special that is? I mean, there’s not even a question that he will be taken in the top 31 of players next year.

Vukojevic will probably be the 2nd or 3rd player taken out of the OHL, and it will be long before the 2nd round.

And if all of these small, speedy, skilled dynamos are going to go in the 1st round, then you can probably pencil Nick Robertson into your top 30.

Blake Murray will likely be battling for a top 20 spot IMO.

Edit: There is no bantam draft in the OHL fyi

I’m far from the only scout to be seeing a down year from the OHL. I’ve already discussed Kaliyev. I won’t at all be surprised if he goes in the top 20, but I’m not at as sold on him as others.

I outline what skills I value: speed, and processing skills. That means I care less about stature.

And please remember, this is a preliminary list with 9 months of hockey left to be played. Plenty of movement coming.

Also, I’m aware it’s not a traditionally bantam draft but a priority draft. That’s just the colloquial term I’m used to using for the CHL.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
I'll be completely honest, I have only recently started paying attention to the draft, and don't consider myself an expert on the prospects at this point, but you seem to have Josh Williams far lower than most other current lists. I saw him play at the Hlinka, and he looked good to me. He appears to have an NHL release.

Williams is one I’ll be watching closely this year. I too saw him at the Hlinka but didn’t see a ton of Medicine Hat last year. I’d like to get more of a handle on him before seeing him rise.

I’ve been going back through some CHL tape the last couple of weeks and the WHL is up next. We’ll see where he falls during the next release in a few months.

He certainly has upside.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Williams is one I’ll be watching closely this year. I too saw him at the Hlinka but didn’t see a ton of Medicine Hat last year. I’d like to get more of a handle on him before seeing him rise.

I’ve been going back through some CHL tape the last couple of weeks and the WHL is up next. We’ll see where he falls during the next release in a few months.

He certainly has upside.

Kid is a great shooter. Very quick release, very accurate. There seems to be a good number of pure shooters in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad