[DobberProspects] Cam Robinson's 2019 Draft Rankings (Preliminary Top 62)

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Depending on where EDM finishes if love Byram, Soderstrom or Caufield.

If were in a position to pick Byram ill be depressed.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
Tad surprised Ryder Donovan is out of the Top 31, he sounds like a late 1st in a lot of scouting circles!

That's the mobility that I talk about putting so much value on. Donovan is a very smart player with good playmaking ability. That awkward stride could be the product of his shooting up several inches in a short amount of time. I'll keep watching him.

Shame his squad didn't win the state championships last year. He'd have probably left HS if they had.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
My forwards are pretty much the same:

Hughes

Kakko
Cozens
Podkolzin
Turcotte

Krebs
Newhook
Dach

Newhook has the greatest chance to jump up a tier but I'd need to see more of him, particularly against better competition.

I'm not convinced there's a D that's worth a top 10 pick right now. Broberg definitely has a good shot if he picks up where he left off at the Hlinka and maintains that level throughout the season. But Byram would need to really breakout. I haven't seen a single elite trait from him so far, and vanilla D are never worth a top 10 pick IMO no matter how "safe" they appear to be.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
My forwards are pretty much the same:

Hughes

Kakko
Cozens
Podkolzin
Turcotte

Krebs
Newhook
Dach

Newhook has the greatest chance to jump up a tier but I'd need to see more of him, particularly against better competition.

I'm not convinced there's a D that's worth a top 10 pick right now. Broberg definitely has a good shot if he picks up where he left off at the Hlinka and maintains that level throughout the season. But Byram would need to really breakout. I haven't seen a single elite trait from him so far, and vanilla D are never worth a top 10 pick IMO no matter how "safe" they appear to be.

I certainly wouldn't classify Byram as Vanilla. He has exceptional lateral quickness, explosive acceleration and a strong mind for creating offense. He embarrasses oncoming wingers at the point as he slides exquisite dekes.

Broberg has high-end north-south speed. He can wheel from behind the net and absolutely fly. But his hands can't keep up and his lateral movement is clunky.

Not in the same class, IMO.

Reactions: 99664987

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
That's the mobility that I talk about putting so much value on. Donovan is a very smart player with good playmaking ability. That awkward stride could be the product of his shooting up several inches in a short amount of time. I'll keep watching him.

Shame his squad didn't win the state championships last year. He'd have probably left HS if they had.

You also have him listed as a D, he's a Center! As far as his skating, its not pretty but he has no issues getting to where he needs to be. It will only improve!

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I certainly wouldn't classify Byram as Vanilla. He has exceptional lateral quickness, explosive acceleration and a strong mind for creating offense. He embarrasses oncoming wingers at the point as he slides exquisite dekes.

Broberg has high-end north-south speed. He can wheel from behind the net and absolutely fly. But his hands can't keep up and his lateral movement is clunky.

Not in the same class, IMO.

Byram's vanilla because in spite of those traits he lacks an end product on both the offensive and defensive side of the puck. He has an entire year to change my mind, but at this point he's not there IMO.

As for Broberg, we're in agreement with where he's at right now in his development. However, he's displayed more than just tools and deserves a bit more credit. He put it together and was by far the best performing D at the Hlinka, in many respects. And if he performs the same way throughout the entirety of the season I see no reason why he's not the best D in the class come July.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
You also have him listed as a D, he's a Center! As far as his skating, its not pretty but he has no issues getting to where he needs to be. It will only improve!

Oh man! Chalk that up to too many hours in front of the computer. I certainly know he's a pivot. Thanks for pointing that out though.

I agree that he should be able to clean that stride up with better mechanics, more strength and just generally getting comfortable in his frame.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Byram's vanilla because in spite of those traits he lacks an end product on both the offensive and defensive side of the puck. He has an entire year to change my mind, but at this point he's not there IMO.

As for Broberg, we're in agreement with where he's at right now in his development. However, he's displayed more than just tools and deserves a bit more credit. He put it together and was by far the best performing D at the Hlinka, in many respects. And if he performs the same way throughout the entirety of the season I see no reason why he's not the best D in the class come July.

Broberg is the better skater north south for sure. But Byram has much better hands. I'd say their shots are pretty close. I do think Broberg is better defensively. I'd give Byram the edge here. Broberg really put himself on the map though.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC

I agree that Broberg has the raw potential to be a serious player. I just need to see a lot more. I don't agree that he was the best at the Hlinka. He had some killer bursts and spells though. But full product had a lot of holes.

Byram improved on both sides of the puck last season as a rookie. By the playoffs, he was threatening every night and was a ppg. Im expecting a big-time season from him.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I remember when this board was hyping up Xavier Parent as a generational talent 3-4 years ago...I see he is ranked #47 now.

Take note "scouts" of HFBoards...

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
I remember when this board was hyping up Xavier Parent as a generational talent 3-4 years ago...I see he is ranked #47 now.

I'll give him this.. he impressed me in the playoffs and U17s last year. He's a potential riser despite the size.

But yeah.. he's not anywhere near generational.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

This is an incorrect assessment of Byram.

Byram’s weakness is that he can get TOO fancy, on either side of the puck. Although he fully embraces his defensive responsibilities and battles hard, he is always trying to push his team onto the offensive. In the defensive end, he is a highly aggressive checker, and likes to try to jump passing lanes. He has great hockey IQ and speed, meaning that he doesn’t get caught in these situations too often, but it can happen and he’ll have to learn to pick his spots better as he moves forward towards professional hockey.

On the offensive side, he will jump into - and I mean go-to-the-net deeply - every single rush chance he thinks he can make more dangerous. He will take the puck himself as far as the other team will allow him, including behind the other team’s net, all the way from his zone. He is successful this way because he has a great stretch pass that forecheckers must be wary of. On the blue line, Byram loves to have the puck on his stick and is unafraid to attack or walk the line.Certainly not a “vanilla” player.

Reactions: CrazyJoeDavola3

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd be absolutely baffled if John Farinacci isn't in the top 74 of the draft. It looks to be an amazing draft, but he's likely competing for a low first round pick right now. I'd have Nick Robertson on this list too, although if he doesn't have a growth spurt this year that could likely suppress how high he'll go.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
I'd be absolutely baffled if John Farinacci isn't in the top 74 of the draft. It looks to be an amazing draft, but he's likely competing for a low first round pick right now. I'd have Nick Robertson on this list too, although if he doesn't have a growth spurt this year that could likely suppress how high he'll go.

Farinacci is one of those guys I haven't seen enough of to really have a grasp on him. Unfortunately, Mass prep schools are hard for me to scout. I'll be doing my best to get eyes and thoughts on him from people in the area.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
yep, seems kind of odd that this list has a number of strong showings from the Hlinka rising in ranks, yet most of the top US names from this squad are either lower than everywhere else, or not on the list at all. (Kaliyev, Wolf and Toporowski only here).

on skating ability and skill, the two things the OP values the most, I do find it odd that Robertson and Mastrosimone are not on here....somewhere...Robertson will grow, his brothers are proof of it. Farinacci and Kaliyev are just top flight players that seemed to be getting under appreciated here as well - Kaliyev has solid speed for his size and his shot is top 3-4 in the draft. Farinacci is another skilled, smart two way player like your Colin White and Ryan Kesler of years past. Both should at the very least be top 31 picks, with Kaliyev far closer to 15 than 31.

Plenty of USNDP kids on the list, but a few of these names here are being criminally underrated right now. You do have Toporowski in the top 60, so that is a plus, but the more impressive players are missing or too low in Kaliyev's case.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brinkman needs to add strength? Well...every 18 yo does, I guess, but Brinkman has always been very strong, and he has been listed at 6'1 2oolbs recently, and he sure looks thick in person. A recent article has him "down" to 214 lbs. (from 225 this summer).

Sure you don't have him mixed up with someone else?

Last edited:

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
Brinkman needs to add strength? Well...every 18 yo does, I guess, but Brinkman has always been very strong, and he has been listed at 6'1 2oolbs recently, and he sure looks thick in person.

Sure you don't have him mixed up with someone else?

I don't think I've seen him listed over 180. I have a few notes scribbled about him getting kept to the outside when pushing in, and losing a few net front battles. You're right that almost all 17/18 yos need strength.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
yep, seems kind of odd that this list has a number of strong showings from the Hlinka rising in ranks, yet most of the top US names from this squad are either lower than everywhere else, or not on the list at all. (Kaliyev, Wolf and Toporowski only here).

on skating ability and skill, the two things the OP values the most, I do find it odd that Robertson and Mastrosimone are not on here....somewhere...Robertson will grow, his brothers are proof of it. Farinacci and Kaliyev are just top flight players that seemed to be getting under appreciated here as well - Kaliyev has solid speed for his size and his shot is top 3-4 in the draft. Farinacci is another skilled, smart two way player like your Colin White and Ryan Kesler of years past. Both should at the very least be top 31 picks, with Kaliyev far closer to 15 than 31.

Plenty of USNDP kids on the list, but a few of these names here are being criminally underrated right now. You do have Toporowski in the top 60, so that is a plus, but the more impressive players are missing or too low in Kaliyev's case.

Regarding Kaliyev, I just haven't been as smitten with him as many others. He's a player I plan to watch very closely this year.

Robertson is on the rough top 100 version that I have going right now. He's a potential riser.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

To be fair many professionals were hyping the kid too. He was playing really well then but he just didn't develop as much as other around him. With that said he played well in the playoffs. We'll see what he can do this year. I honestly don't remember the term generational thrown around with him though.

Reactions: Acadien86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad