Rumor: Doan coming back to play one more season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Based on his play last year, I think he is done. But having said that, if he wants to play, he is kind of a sacred cow and likely deserves it. Maybe if he cuts weight, like 20 pounds, the way DMO did, he can gain some quickness and speed back, enough to be more effective this year than last. If he doesn't cut weight, and I'm not sayihg he is fat or over weight, father time has caught up with him. At his age, losing weight is the only way to get some jump back in his skating. He is still smart and can stand in front of the net on the PP and help the team but his even strength minutes could be rough.

Yeah, him cutting weight to increase his speed is the only way he bounces back. He's generally been one of the strongest players in the league, but without the skating ability to actually get to the battles there isn't any point to all that mass. Even if he's outmuscled in half the battles, as pathetic as that would be, that's better than never getting there and letting some one skate off with the puck undefended.

As for making the Hall of Fame, unlikely. Maybe if they weigh the intangibles for sportsmanship and character for him under the player category. At best I can see him transitioning into the front office later and maybe eventually, once the franchise is more stabilized, maybe he gets brought up for vote under the builder category. That's open to owners, management, commentators, and whatever else really so long as it's justifiable. You could say he really pushed the team through its darkest hours and never gave up on it, but it's still a long shot and the team would have to come out of all of this.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Doan already dropped weight at one point. He's just that slow now. He is completely done in terms of his body, and his heart seems half in it. Just retire.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Doan needs 28 points to hit 1,000 career points.

I'm all for a farewell tour. Yes Doan hasn't played up to his status, but it will be another year to mentor the kids.

If he gets 8 goals, 30 assists, 47 PIM, and plays 60+ games, we're looking at him having in total.

Goals-410
Assists- 600
Points- 1010
PIM- 1400
Games Played- 1600+

Plus if he plays 75 games, once Iginla moves past Larry Murphy in all time GP, Doan could pass Murphy and sit at 10th overall all time on the GP list

Those are hall of fame worthy numbers.
I proudly admit to being a total Doan fanboy but I don't think he has any real shot at the Hall of Fame.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
4th line and some power play time to help his numbers perhaps and help our net front presence on the PP. I like the idea that he has one more year because of his off ice leadership.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One oddity last season on that note was his PP time. It was drastically cut. My assumption is that was due to his issues in the neutral zone making it much harder to the gain the zone. So he'd start in the zone but if they lost it he'd get swapped out.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
This would mean that he'd probably be taking Christian Fischer's spot - really hope he just retires. Already have Duclair, presumably Vrby, and Rieder and McGinn have both proven they can play RW effectively. I think Keller has a chance to end up settling in on RW as well....no room for Doaner anymore, as much as I love the guy.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Doan needs 28 points to hit 1,000 career points.

I'm all for a farewell tour. Yes Doan hasn't played up to his status, but it will be another year to mentor the kids.

If he gets 8 goals, 30 assists, 47 PIM, and plays 60+ games, we're looking at him having in total.

Goals-410
Assists- 600
Points- 1010
PIM- 1400
Games Played- 1600+

Plus if he plays 75 games, once Iginla moves past Larry Murphy in all time GP, Doan could pass Murphy and sit at 10th overall all time on the GP list

Those are hall of fame worthy numbers.

In terms of GP, he's also 25 GP of 2nd all time with 1 franchise behind only Gordie Howe. He's 4th right now but 25 GP would put him ahead of Lidstrom and Delvecchio.

Based on his play last year, I think he is done. But having said that, if he wants to play, he is kind of a sacred cow and likely deserves it. Maybe if he cuts weight, like 20 pounds, the way DMO did, he can gain some quickness and speed back, enough to be more effective this year than last. If he doesn't cut weight, and I'm not sayihg he is fat or over weight, father time has caught up with him. At his age, losing weight is the only way to get some jump back in his skating. He is still smart and can stand in front of the net on the PP and help the team but his even strength minutes could be rough.

Funny you should mention the weight thing. I think Luke Schenn could benefit from this. Drop a few to get his feet going faster.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
In terms of GP, he's also 25 GP of 2nd all time with 1 franchise behind only Gordie Howe. He's 4th right now but 25 GP would put him ahead of Lidstrom and Delvecchio.

Funny you should mention the weight thing. I think Luke Schenn could benefit from this. Drop a few to get his feet going faster.

I was looking for player weight info, but it looks like most databases just overwrite it each year. Nevertheless, I found this 2011?Player Weights and it looks like Doan (34 at time) was about 5 pounds heavier then than now, while Schenn is about same (see 20 year old defenseman on Toronto on the team stat tab).

So maybe Doan hasn't really dropped that much mass in 6 years, and just doesn't have the explosive power or endurance to take advantage of his body. As for Schenn, he is billed as that defensive defenseman, which I interpret as built to battle right in front of the net rather than chase down pucks, so maybe he'd still be garbage with the puck even if he dropped mass and would then lose those battles so he shouldn't bother to try and change his game up. He probably just is what he is.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was looking for player weight info, but it looks like most databases just overwrite it each year. Nevertheless, I found this 2011?Player Weights and it looks like Doan (34 at time) was about 5 pounds heavier then than now, while Schenn is about same (see 20 year old defenseman on Toronto on the team stat tab).

So maybe Doan hasn't really dropped that much mass in 6 years, and just doesn't have the explosive power or endurance to take advantage of his body. As for Schenn, he is billed as that defensive defenseman, which I interpret as built to battle right in front of the net rather than chase down pucks, so maybe he'd still be garbage with the puck even if he dropped mass and would then lose those battles so he shouldn't bother to try and change his game up. He probably just is what he is.

The game is evolving to where quickness is way more important than strength. If Doan or Schenn cut weight, they will both be quicker. Cutting weight and sustaining it is not easy. You still need the right amount of nutrients and it is hard to keep the weight off without a pretty strict diet. Tim Duncan extended his career by leaning down. I see weight cutting as the only way Doan becomes more effective next year.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Doan already dropped weight at one point. He's just that slow now. He is completely done in terms of his body, and his heart seems half in it. Just retire.

I agree with this. He doesn't seem to have the fire he once did. I know he still shows some emotion but a lot of the time it seemed like he was just playing to have fun. The team is now at a point where they need to start being competitive, and I think new leadership is required for that. This group needs to start building their own culture as the develop into (hopefully) a cup contender.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Farewell tours are so lame. Lost respect for Jeter, Selanne and Kobe for doing that crap. Hope Doan either retires this season, or plays next year without specifically stating that he'll retire after the season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's fine with me. I like him. We're going to be terrible anyway. I'd rather have Doan as our 4RW scrub than some other 4RW scrub. Why not? We've got to be "fans" sometime, right?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
It's fine with me. I like him. We're going to be terrible anyway. I'd rather have Doan as our 4RW scrub than some other 4RW scrub. Why not? We've got to be "fans" sometime, right?

Although I would be fine with bringing back Doan one last season, I fear he might be overused. If he could play about every other game in the 4 RW role, it would allow us to also bring up one of the youngsters. Still, a part of me wishes he would retire instead of having less and less of a role. If they do re-sign him, hopefully it's not some wacky contract like last years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Although I would be fine with bringing back Doan one last season, I fear he might be overused. If he could play about every other game in the 4 RW role, it would allow us to also bring up one of the youngsters. Still, a part of me wishes he would retire instead of having less and less of a role. If they do re-sign him, hopefully it's not some wacky contract like last years.

I'm really ok either way, but you can never have too much experience and character in the room with all these young kids. I could care less how the contract is structured and if Doan accepts it, he is ok with it.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I guess its great. The team may need the leadership on the bench.
I guess its alright we take on OEL's brother so that he can be closer to his brother.
I guess I as a fan who gets pummeled by opposing fans who are really backstabber fellow citizens of Phoenix who scream against their communities team but benefit greatly from living in this community, I just want revenge.
I want to win so I can feel smug for once.
So, I can turn around after a win and smile at all the Phoenix citizens wearing "Kaner" jerseys.
I guess, I just want to win and am tired of the only news coming out Coyote land are these pull at the heart string stories.
I want to win and gloat and feel pride in being from Phoenix and forget about being the only fan in my section standing up when the team comes out on the ice and the Yote fans staying home because they are scared of being outnumbered.
Doan coming back for another year?
Sure, he's a great guy and great leader and if it helps us WIN...GREAT!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I guess its great. The team may need the leadership on the bench.
I guess its alright we take on OEL's brother so that he can be closer to his brother.
I guess I as a fan who gets pummeled by opposing fans who are really backstabber fellow citizens of Phoenix who scream against their communities team but benefit greatly from living in this community, I just want revenge.
I want to win so I can feel smug for once.
So, I can turn around after a win and smile at all the Phoenix citizens wearing "Kaner" jerseys.
I guess, I just want to win and am tired of the only news coming out Coyote land are these pull at the heart string stories.
I want to win and gloat and feel pride in being from Phoenix and forget about being the only fan in my section standing up when the team comes out on the ice and the Yote fans staying home because they are scared of being outnumbered.
Doan coming back for another year?
Sure, he's a great guy and great leader and if it helps us WIN...GREAT!

Preach on, brother. :handclap:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't want him back because he won't get fourth line usage. First, Tippett loves him. Second, he already hinted through Morgan that his slightly more limited role was bothering him. Third, he said something to the effect he thinks he could hit 15 goals next year.
Just turn the freaking page. Get rid of the kumbaya crutches and let new blood step up.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't want him back because he won't get fourth line usage. First, Tippett loves him. Second, he already hinted through Morgan that his slightly more limited role was bothering him. Third, he said something to the effect he thinks he could hit 15 goals next year.
Just turn the freaking page. Get rid of the kumbaya crutches and let new blood step up.

Yup he's a fourth line player, but he won't be treated like one because of who he is. Which is understandable considering what he's done for the team... It's tough to admit that he isn't that good anymore, and watching a former great player play as a shell of himself isn't fun. I'd wish he'd retire now so I wouldn't have to watch Doan the 4th liner...

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Burns and Gambo with a "major" announcement today at 4:45pm. Doan news???

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
If Doan stays, he will not be a fourth line player. That's the issue with him coming back.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's gonna be interesting if Doan announces he intends to play only to have the Coyotes play hardball in contract talks again. Obviously we'd be dealing with lower figures than last year but I wonder how he'd react to pushback two years in a row.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It's gonna be interesting if Doan announces he intends to play only to have the Coyotes play hardball in contract talks again. Obviously we'd be dealing with lower figures than last year but I wonder how he'd react to pushback two years in a row.

Hopefully by retiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad