Do you think the NHL should address the LTIR/playoffs issue?

Do you think the NHL should address the LTIR/playoffs issue?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The problem with that tho, is it restricts teams from adding a good replacement most of the time.

I.e. Stone for example is a top 6 winger. Vegas can't really replace him with another top 6 player if they aren't getting full credit for his cap hit.
The exact percentage can be negotiated. The idea, though, is to keep it within reason.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Couldn't care less. Vegas is playing by the rules, other teams are welcome to as well.
But if the ideal solution is to get your player to delay surgery so that he can return just in time for playoffs, then is that actually a ruleset that you want to keep unchanged?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
But if the ideal solution is to get your player to delay surgery so that he can return just in time for playoffs, then is that actually a ruleset that you want to keep unchanged?
No, I'm not really that concerned by that all, as it does not happen.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
It's not even that teams like Vegas and Tampa should be punished for their cap circumvention - it's actually pretty impressive how they adapt to find loopholes in the way it's written. If anything, they should be lauded for their resourcefulness.

I think it's moreso a testament to how much better the sport would be for everyone involved - fans, franchises, players, etc - if there wasn't a hard cap in place that only serves to stifle creativity and opportunity. I understand why it exists from the owners' POV, but in regards to how the league operates, the hard cap is one of the dumbest, most mind numbing things in sports. ****ing brutal system

Reactions: HolyHagelin

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Matt Murray did it, delayed surgery 5 months, until season started, now playing in the AHL getting in game shape.
And you know all of the facts and reasoning behind it? You have seen the medical reports and understand the what and why of the delay? Or are you speculating?

Do you really think the Leafs would risk the penalties of what you are claiming over Matt f’ing Murray? Teams have been stripped of first round picks for far less…

Reactions: Guttersniped

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And you know all of the facts and reasoning behind it? You have seen the medical reports and understand the what and why of the delay? Or are you speculating?

Do you really think the Leafs would risk the penalties of what you are claiming over Matt f’ing Murray? Teams have been stripped of first round picks for far less…
You said it did not happen, I countered with it did.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
You said it did not happen, I countered with it did.
You claim it did. You have no idea what was done over the summer to try to prevent the surgery, or what the medical advice of the Dr was. You have no idea what Matt Murray's willingness to do the surgery during his offseason was.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's not even that teams like Vegas and Tampa should be punished for their cap circumvention - it's actually pretty impressive how they adapt to find loopholes in the way it's written. If anything, they should be lauded for their resourcefulness.

I think it's moreso a testament to how much better the sport would be for everyone involved - fans, franchises, players, etc - if there wasn't a hard cap in place that only serves to stifle creativity and opportunity. I understand why it exists from the owners' POV, but in regards to how the league operates, the hard cap is one of the dumbest, most mind numbing things in sports. ****ing brutal system

How does a hard cap stifle creativity? Is it that creative to just say a bigger number than everyone else? The hard cap requires much more creativity.

Reactions: MuckOG

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
How does a hard cap stifle creativity? Is it that creative to just say a bigger number than everyone else? The hard cap requires much more creativity.
I mean creativity from a roster construction standpoint. The hard cap ties most competitive teams' hands and prevents them from making significant trades, or signing impactful free agents. Love them or hate them, Vegas makes a ton of bold, creative roster moves. The league should find ways to encourage those sorts of moves, rather than making them near impossible to execute.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Just an idea.

If you are on LTIR between trade deadline and the end of the year. Disqualifies you from round 1 of playoffs.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The problem with that tho, is it restricts teams from adding a good replacement most of the time.

I.e. Stone for example is a top 6 winger. Vegas can't really replace him with another top 6 player if they aren't getting full credit for his cap hit.
They didn’t Need to replace him because here he is ready to play.

Like others have said, the roster you ice in the playoffs should have to be cap compliant.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I mean creativity from a roster construction standpoint. The hard cap ties most competitive teams' hands and prevents them from making significant trades, or signing impactful free agents. Love them or hate them, Vegas makes a ton of bold, creative roster moves. The league should find ways to encourage those sorts of moves, rather than making them near impossible to execute.

It doesn't take much creativity to build a roster when you have unlimited funds at your disposal. A trained monkey could do that.

Creativity comes into play where you need to find the right players at the right dollar amount to fill out your roster.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Just an idea.

If you are on LTIR between trade deadline and the end of the year. Disqualifies you from round 1 of playoffs.

That's a load of crap.

What if its someone who was on LTIR long before the trade deadline? Their team gets screwed over now?

Also the NHLPA will never agree to any measure that prevents players from playing.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
It requires the league and the players to agree.

Does it?
I'm not entirely sure.

Players are not getting paid so it's not having any effect on their salaries.
It would just be a roster management rule for GMs.
What argument would the NHLPA have for objecting?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
That's a load of crap.

What if its someone who was on LTIR long before the trade deadline? Their team gets screwed over now?

Also the NHLPA will never agree to any measure that prevents players from playing.

This point keeps getting brought up, but it's the wrong argument. There are already measures that prevent players from playing. Just being put on LTIR means you have to miss 10 games and 24 days. Players can be suspended. A team can't be over cap during season so teams play shorthanded.

So the argument that players would never agree to a reasonable rule that prevents them from playing is just plain wrong.

In the idea you're addressing, the player can still play, if the team decided they wanted to make room for him in the event he may be available for round 1. It's not that unreasonable. If a team can reasonably expect a player to be available, then make room for him. If not, then go do your LTIR thing. It's not the measure that would prevent a player from playing, it would be the team.

Reactions: Thechozen1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad