Do you believe the core of this roster can win a Cup?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm curious what the consensus is on this after being knocked out early in the playoffs so many years in a row. So the question is simple - do you think the core of this team can win a Cup?

"Core" is up to your own interpretation.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I interpret "can" as is it possible, so I answered "Yes." Dobbie gets Hot and this team has enough depth to beat anyone. Sometimes long shots do win and a Hot goalie can carry a team a long way.

Now if the question was "is it likely" or "is there a good chance" - different answer.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I interpret "can" as is it possible, so I answered "Yes." Dobbie gets Hot and this team has enough depth to beat anyone. Sometimes long shots do win and a Hot goalie can carry a team a long way.

Now if the question was "is it likely" or "is there a good chance" - different answer.

Yeah, I did very intentionally use the word "can", because you're right, depending on the wording, the answer can be very different.

If you answer "no" to this question - you should probably be looking to sell your assets for a rebuild/retool. I don't know what percentage of fans think it's possible at this point.

Also, thought about asking this right after the playoff loss, but it was probably a wise choice to let everyone cool down first. :laugh:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Definitely possible. Especially if a guy like JEE or Kunin can come in and provide a little spark. I think we're close, just need a little something to put us over the hump.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Possible, yes. I think top to bottom we have a better roster than Nashville. I believe they were the best team in the Cup final this year. I think if it's possible for them it's possible for us.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Possible, yes. I think top to bottom we have a better roster than Nashville. I believe they were the best team in the Cup final this year. I think if it's possible for them it's possible for us.

I see Coyle and Dumba as wildcards too. Coyle should be our best player, just can't be consistent. Dumba would provide a huge boost if he can keep improving

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Not really. We need an actual superstar player who can score PPG and lead the team at the crucial minutes. We have a lot of fat depth core but no-one actually stands out enough.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Interpreted it as "real possibility" as opposed to just "is it possible". No, this core isn't likely to win it all IMO. Just don't see the talent as enough to outright say this core is a real possibility to win the cup.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Interpreted it as "real possibility" as opposed to just "is it possible". No, this core isn't likely to win it all IMO. Just don't see the talent as enough to outright say this core is a real possibility to win the cup.

I had the same thinking. If everything goes right they could win the Cup, but most teams can say that. The Wild have a smaller room for error than real Cup contenders. They just don't have "the guy" that can takeover a game or series. Dub is probably the closest, but at most he could keep them in the game and hope someone for the Wild scores.

It might sound odd, but I consider the backup goalie part of the team's core. A good backup should be in the top-10 (~1300 mins) for ToI (total) for a season. Without Murray/Fluery and Crawford/Darling combos Pit and Chi probably wouldn't have won the last 3 Cups.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Possible? Sure. Likely? No. KOivu is a year older, we saw signs of Staal regressing even last year, and it would be a bit much to expect Brodin, Granlund, Nino, Coyle and Zucker to improve over last year's output. Only way we win is if ;

PARISE returns to his form of 4 years ago

Doobs saves his brilliance for the playoffs, rather than the regular season.

Dumba finally learns how to play with sound judgement, and scores 10 more points( the latter being likely, the former... we'll see).

Ek( or Kunin/Ennis) show up and produce like top 6'ers.

That's a lot of things to go right.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Next season Forsberg, Johansen, Subban, and Josi are better than any player on the Wild. Ellis or Ekholm would likely be number two defensemen on the Wild. Kevin Fiala would be a top-six guy on the Wild. Arvidsson I don't believe to be a total fluke any more than Granlund's breakout was. So I think their top talent beats the Wild's (strong group of prospects too).

Depthwise, the Wild might be better - that remains to be seen. The Preds lost their Koivu when Fisher retired (Koivu is better too). Both teams lost an important scoring winger in Neal and Pommer and good depth in Colin Wilson and Erik Haula. Adding Cullen made the Wild's fourth line into an asset yet the Preds added Nick Bonino, who is no world-beater but did play in front of Cullen for the Pens last year.

As Wabit pointed out, the Wild's major weakness right now is backup goalie. Saros looks really good (.923 save percentage in 21 games last season) though Stalock has more experience overall.

I feel safe saying this is a top-tier squad that should be in the playoffs. Nashville will be a team they have to beat consistently, same with improved squads like Edmonton, Calgary, LA and Dallas.

Not sure what the core of this team is but I can see them having success in the playoffs without Parise, not so much without Suter, Koivu or Dubnyk.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
It's possible but it would take so much luck that it isn't realistic. Voted no with the caveat that if jee or kunin become legit stars we're in a good spot
Not really. We need an actual superstar player who can score PPG and lead the team at the crucial minutes. We have a lot of fat depth core but no-one actually stands out enough.

Yeah. Depth alone doesn't do it just like one or two star players dont do it alone. Nashville isnt a great comparison. Subban is better than suter imo, with josi not far behind. Forsberg and johansen are better than any of our forwards

Last edited:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
"Can"? Sure. Likely? I don't think so :( I agree that this past season was probably by far our best shot in franchise history, and we saw what happened. I'm not sure that the team is going to actually be any *better* this coming year.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It is hard for me to say "YES" when they haven't been able to do it yet:

- Parise is showing signs of wearing down
- Koivu is not a spring chicken
- Suter still appears to be lethargic come playoffs because of the grind of the reg season
- Younger Core (Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Zucks, Brodin, Dumba) may give me some hope but enough when you see some of the other teams out there
- Dubnyk isn't as phenomenal as we all want to believe
- There is still not a legit 2G to play 20-25 games a season on B2B games

I put the Wild in the same breath as I do Washington. They have the pieces...but can they actually complete it?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
It is incredibly difficult to win a Stanley Cup without a superstar on the front end and the back end. In the last 9 years, only 4 teams have won a cup. They all have something in common. They each had at least one superstar forward and one superstar defenseman.

Penguins: Crosby, Malkin, Letang
Blackhawks: Kane, Toews, Keith
Kings: Kopitar, Doughty
Bruins: Bergeron, Chara

Each one of those players had/has the ability to take over a game. There isn't a player on the Wild currently who has shown the ability to do that. Parise was borderline, but he's a shell of his former self. His best years are long gone.

Until the Wild have a player like that suit up for them, we'll continue to be a middling playoff team that will never break through and be considered a true contender.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Actually Pit didn't have a star d-man this last Playoff run (Letang was injured). They did it by running 3 d-pairs between ~19-22 mins a night. But your point is still pretty valid.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
This team seems to have a bipolar personality. For extended periods of time over several of the last seasons they have had stretches where they look like the best team in the league, and then they fall apart and look like one of the worst. There is rarely any medium between the two. It has been true under both Boudreau and Yeo. If they have a playoff run while they are going through one of those up periods they can absolutely win the cup. That doesn't necessarily mean it will happen though.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Whenever I see this thread...

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i know most people would say you need a "superstar" to win the cup i'd rather have a group of 6 or 7 hard working 20 plus goal scorers. of coarse you need a solid D core & a hot goal tender. i think you just really need a player to step up & be a spark plug to lead & motivate the rest of the group.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00