Do you believe modern “Tanking” is acceptable?

Is Modern Tanking acceptable to you?

• Total voters

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Modern tanking, imo, is not losing on purpose. Players would never go for that. The original meaning of tanking is the team loses games on purpose in one specific season to get the best draft pick creating a race to the bottom.

Modern tanking is trading/selling off valuable assets in exchange for draft picks and prospects knowing the team will not be trying to compete even for a playoff spot.

For the most part this is not a 1 year plan. It’s a multi year plan to accumulate the best draft picks and prospects possible while selling off older pieces.

So do you approve of or accept this way of building a team or tanking as some people call it?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Tanking is like what Pittsburgh did for Lemieux, sending their starting goalie down, the GM literally yelling at the coaching staff for winning games and intentionally losing.

I have no issue with real rebuilds, they are necessary and it's a cycle that pretty much every team goes through. Unless you're Detroit and keep drafting gems in later rounds.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Tanking is like what Pittsburgh did for Lemieux, sending their starting goalie down, the GM literally yelling at the coaching staff for winning games and intentionally losing.

I have no issue with real rebuilds, they are necessary and it's a cycle that pretty much every team goes through. Unless you're Detroit and keep drafting gems in later rounds.

Yes!

Every org needs to go through the cycle of tearing it down, moving out salary, and rebuilding. Nothing wrong with that.

What Pittsburgh did (twice) is much more egregious.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's not deliberately losing, it's a valid rebuild strategy.

It's also the only real one possible in a cap world since you can't just go buy up free agents to rebuild.

A team needing a rebuild should trade its valuable assets for picks or young assets. Accumulate these assets, draft well and develop your picks and you'll have a consistent winner. Hawks, Pens, Kings, Bruins, Lightning all went this route in their own way. The problem is too many fans lump rebuilding in with tanking

Real tanking is what Pitt did to get Mario, sending starters to the AHL and directly icing worse lineups than they could

Reactions: LT and Jerzey Devil

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I see it this way, the GM can deliberately tank and I'm mostly okay with it. If they bring a prospect along a bit more slowly that maybe could help the big club, trade away good players that don't figure into the future and make minimal effort to address holes in the lineup, that's fine by me.

I wouldn't enjoy it if coaches and players started tanking. I understand that realistically players can't give 100% every night and it must be demoralizing to play on a bottom feeder... But as long as everyone on the team is doing their best, then it's fine by me.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
It's not even a guarantee. Buffalo tanked for McDavid and got Eichel. Whoever this year tanks for Bedard only has a 25.5% chance of even winning the lottery.

Teams just go through cycles naturally. Might as well tear it down rather than spend a decade in mediocrity until being forced to tear it down from scratch.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, I think that tanking should be a viable strategy like any other. The ownership takes a hit in ticket sales and marketing, so it's a significant investment.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's part of the competitive cycle. After a while, a good team declines/stagnates, the GM should sell off parts, accumulate assets, ice a weak team for a good draft pick, and rebuild.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Generally I'm okay with tanking but I hate what Chicago is doing, heading into an offseason with the sole purpose of making your team much worse isn't okay, just a terrible look for the league.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Yes it is, continuously changing the rules to counter it is dumb. It's the cycle teams naturally go through

Bad teams need to get the good players. And this method doesn't even guarantee success, we've seen teams suck for years after bottoming out (Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona). You have to carefully bottom out and have good management in place to ensure a turnaround is possible

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s the best way to contend. The SC is so hard to win that setting yourself up for 10+ years of having a legit kick at the can is the right play imo.

It also means that contenders have access to the good players on bad teams.

Big Bobby

Aug 11, 2022
Depends how egregious it is. Are you just trading away expiring deals and not really trying to sign big name UFA's, or are you going full Chicago and actively trading away players in their early 20's because they'll hurt your chances of drafting Bedard? If it's the latter IMO it's problematic for the game.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I don't care what other teams do, it doesn't affect me other than hopefully helping my team get some points when we play them (or be extra angry if we lose). If a team decides their best course of action is to be bad for a while to get a small advantage in the draft, okay sure whatever it's their team.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
I think the system could use some work, though I have absolutely no idea on how best to fix it. The most common flow seems to be:
1) Be bad (tank) -> draft high potential players, sell off aging talent and develop over a couple years
2) Compete with young talent on ELC/cheaper deals -> prime contention window
3) Compete, but core players are now on much heftier contracts -> can still compete, but much more difficult to fill out depth
4) Aging core, mostly on the tail ends of difficult deals to move -> stuck in purgatory
go back to (1) *unless you're Philadelphia or **unless you're Pittsburgh/Boston/Washington and have somehow been a playoff team for more than a decade

Given the constraints of the salary cap, it's difficult to maintain a competitive roster in the long term without stocking up on younger and cheaper talent, which in turn kind of necessitates tanking (unless you're really good/lucky with drafting).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, but realistically not every team has the goal of winning the Stanley Cup in each season. It's fine for a team to try to build something for a few seasons down the road. Nothing is worse than seeing a team go all out just trying to scrape into the playoffs.

Reactions: LT

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Tanking is fine.

The system does need work though. Hate the lottery. Just do the draft the same way the NFL does.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Trading UFA to be players for picks and or prospects is a normal thing in sports and I have no problem with it. As long a teams aren't throwing games by losing on purpose there is no problem.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I have no problem with tanking. Even if you do finish last, even if you do win the lottery, even if you do draft a franchise player at #1, it's still not some magic formula that guarantees playoff success. Look at Tampa Bay and Colorado, both teams got their cornerstone players with their top draft picks, but they still had to get other major pieces outside of the top 4 of the draft. If all Colorado had was MacKinnon, Makar, and Johnson, they would not have a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad