Do we still need 2 top 6 forwards and a true top 4 Dman?

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
I'm happy with our team as is. Of course, we aren't a contender right now, but we will be in a couple years. We have many young players still developing, let's not do anything stupid!

Offensively I think we'll be fine. Defensively we need to vastly improve.

Wiercioch and Cowen have not been great so far, but it's been 6 games...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Cap space ,cheap young players ,wanting to be closer to home.We have this, these teams do not

Exactly where and when did Stamkos say he wanted to play closer to home, or play on a young team, or go to a team with cap space? If he chooses Ontario, Ottawa is NOT the team he's choosing. We're talking a 1 in a million chance of that happening. :laugh:

It gives him a better chance to evaluate Cowen and Wierc
ioch.

Great point.

Sounds like Methot isn't gone for too long (but who knows when it comes to concussions). Give the guy a solid 1-2 weeks off to make sure he's ok, and use those few games to let the kids show what they can do.

It's waaaaaay too early in the season to make any panic moves.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To contend ... We need at least 1 Top 6 F and 1 top 3 D.

I'd be happy gauging the improvements of 1 top 3D and go from there.

Our team needs all the horses going. Not mentioning any 2nd line Centre and RW names.... We need these guys going. Bobby Hull wouldn't help them right now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To contend ... We need at least 1 Top 6 F and 1 top 3 D.

I'd be happy gauging the improvements of 1 top 3D and go from there.

Our team needs all the horses going. Not mentioning any 2nd line Centre and RW names.... We need these guys going. Bobby Hull wouldn't help them right now.

Particularly at his current age! :)

But WOW if we had a time machine and could reunite Hull, Nillson and Hedberg!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ugh.

From scanlans latest article:

"TRADE TALK

At various times in recent months, Murray has talked about upgrading his forward depth. At camp, it was more or less decided the Senators would let the young prospects, like Matt Puempel and Shane Prince have an opportunity. Prince is in the lineup for Clarke MacArthur, who is concussed, but Murray says a move could be made down the road depending on injuries and the play of his prospects."

Just what we need, a depth forward.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Absolutely this. It's ridiculous that most fans have seen it this way since last year and management still doesn't really think so. We need our 2015 Kuba. The top 4 defenseman that can play 2nd unit PP and play 1st or 2nd unit PK. Fix the D!

... and take day in day out criticism from fans for sucking. Man, did a lot of people hate Kuba.

Bring back wikstraaaaaaand

The Swedish grocery clerk? How's that gonna help.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Krejci and Chara

for

Ottawa's 1st 2016
Puempel
Chabot
Wideman
White

Other Picks to even things out. Sens go all in, but keep core intact. Krejci is young and still dominant, so this makes giving up the youth worth it. Chara sells jerseys and tickets, and helps out on a 2nd pairing where he does not have to play 30 mins a night.

KingSlayer.. More like Sens Prospect slayer... amirite guyz

BigBush*

...or franchise slayer.

Fall outside the playoffs this year, give up a lotto pick, and not have any top 6F or top 4D in the system for a good 3-5 years.

With Kreiji and Chara? Miss the playoffs? Hell no we'd win a cup!

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Ugh.

From scanlans latest article:

"TRADE TALK

At various times in recent months, Murray has talked about upgrading his forward depth. At camp, it was more or less decided the Senators would let the young prospects, like Matt Puempel and Shane Prince have an opportunity. Prince is in the lineup for Clarke MacArthur, who is concussed, but Murray says a move could be made down the road depending on injuries and the play of his prospects."

Just what we need, a depth forward.
I don't think he said depth forward, he said forward depth which is completely different...and I really do agree. We need an a young playmaker with speed on that second line to help Ryan and Zibanejad. This player doesn't need to be a 60-80 point player but just someone that can get open and distribute the puck. This would be ideal. We need to do something to improve the chemistry on line 2 because none of those 3 players are playing to their strengths.

Watching Dreger and McKenzie last night it looks like EVERY team is looking for a d-man right now (and some teams are looking for 2) so the price will by sky high. Now is not the time for a d-man unless you're willing to pay top dollar.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't think he said depth forward, he said forward depth which is completely different...and I really do agree. We need an a young playmaker with speed on that second line to help Ryan and Zibanejad. This player doesn't need to be a 60-80 point player but just someone that can get open and distribute the puck. This would be ideal. We need to do something to improve the chemistry on line 2 because none of those 3 players are playing to their strengths.

Watching Dreger and McKenzie last night it looks like EVERY team is looking for a d-man right now (and some teams are looking for 2) so the price will by sky high. Now is not the time for a d-man unless you're willing to pay top dollar.

Good. Someone can take Weir from us in a trade then.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think we're a surefire playoff team.

Adding a top-4 dman or a top-6 forward basically shoots us up the standings more.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nac Mac Feegle;108309587[B said:
]Exactly where and when did Stamkos say he wanted to play closer to home, or play on a young team, or go to a team with cap space? If he chooses Ontario, Ottawa is NOT the team he's choosing. We're talking a 1 in a million chance of that happening. :laugh:
[/B]

Great point.

Sounds like Methot isn't gone for too long (but who knows when it comes to concussions). Give the guy a solid 1-2 weeks off to make sure he's ok, and use those few games to let the kids show what they can do.

It's waaaaaay too early in the season to make any panic moves.
Meh we should be looking at him is all I said ,you are really pushing the, " Iam smarter than you schtick" a little much dude

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Ideally we need:

A top four D (No Cowen)
A bottom six D (No Borowiecki)

Where those two would be replaced by good-skating, good puck-moving defencemen that would constantly be forcing possession and so on.

For the forwards, it's mostly fine as is but I'd obviously prefer less Michalek and less Neil and more younger, faster, possession-driving forwards with skill. So ideally we need two more "D" and one or two more "F".

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think we're a surefire playoff team.

Adding a top-4 dman or a top-6 forward basically shoots us up the standings more.

Yup.

A top 3-4 D will allow us to potentially have a dark horse run at the cup. Like NJD or NYR in recent years but not good enough vs whoever comes out of the West.

And a top 3 W alongside a top 3-4 D will allow us to compete for a cup against anyone from the West too imo.

BigBush*

We aren't anywhere close to a "sure fire" play off team right now

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We aren't anywhere close to a "sure fire" play off team right now
On paper we should be, since it's pretty much the same personnel as the one that had that great run at the end of last season (including the coaches, but not including Condra, Gryba and Legwand). I don't know why we're not playing the same way though. But that last game gave me some hope that we might be back on track. If that's the case, then I'm as optimistic as RKL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad