Do we need a brawl for the team to come together? | Vintage videos in OP

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I remember several years ago(i think during the time of the Neil drury hit) andthey showed a very telling chart about how brawls would help turn around slumps the sens had. They gathered like 3-4 brawls and gave their record each of the last 10 games before the brawls and the 10 games after the brawls and their records were reversed.

It seems every year we had a brawl when we were playing .500 hockey and frustrations were rising. The brawl would happen and all of a sudden they would play for each other and would win more often than not for the next little while.

I went to NHL.com to try to retrieve the data but can't go farther than 2004 unfortunately.

Here are some brawls i'm talking about:

VS LA DEC 20th, 2001:

VS BOS JAN 17th, 2002:

VS TOR 2002-2003:

VS PHI MAR 5th, 2004:

VS BUF FEB 22nd, 2007:

I know there is less fighting now than 10 years ago but do you not think a game like this with actual emotion could help bring our team together? I think so. It feels like we lose one, win one,lose one,win one, and always without much emotion.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I remember several years ago(i think during the time of the Neil drury hit) andthey showed a very telling chart about how brawls would help turn around slumps the sens had. They gathered like 3-4 brawls and gave their record each of the last 10 games before the brawls and the 10 games after the brawls and their records were reversed.

2001 vs Kings
10 games before brawl: 5-5-0
10 games after brawl: 5-3-2 (ties)

2002 vs Bruins
10 games before brawl: 6-4-0
10 games after brawl: 4-3-3 (ties)

2004 vs Flyers
10 games before brawl: 5-3-2 (ties)
10 games after brawl: 5-5-0

2007 vs Sabres
10 games before brawl: 7-2-1 (OT losses)
10 games after brawl: 6-3-1 (OT losses)

Don't put too much stock into graphs you saw one time 8 years ago ;)

Chrass

Sep 19, 2006
No -- they don't need a brawl.

They need a new defensive strategy. The coaches need to realize that allowing the opposition to enter freely into their zone and giving them the perimeter space is creating the havoc we're seeing on a nightly basis. This team's issues is not the fault of the defense or lazy forwards. They're chasing the defensive game right now because their current strategy, if not executed perfectly, keeps you one step behind all the time.

They need to adopt a strategy that stops entry at the blue line and doesn't allow time and space to opposing players. I'd like to see a senator get in the face of the opposition for once -- just once. Make them rush their decisions. I guarantee we'd see a huge difference immediately.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Haha all we need now is the expert and aragorn to comment.

:laugh:

I actually think that it's a different time now & the NHL is different now too. I doubt the refs will let it get out of hand the way it used to but the Montreal brawl in the playoffs a few yrs ago certainly galvanized the team to beat them. I think if they can keep playing the way they are now that wins will galvanize the team. If they can be a very hard team to play against & support each other all over the ice as they did against Philly & not back down than they should be alright.

The problem is they don't play that way enough or consistently & usually go back to perimeter play & no hitting. DC seems to like pressure hockey played with an edge but they have a number of players on this roster who prefer perimeter play & fancy passing & highlight goals & don't like playing defensive hockey. It needs to be constantly hammered into to them all yr long to stay effective but eventually some players stop listening.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
I miss this type of hockey. I feel like players are becoming too friendly with each others nowadays :(

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Not now but if we go into an extended slump at any point in this season, I would be all for it. It would be refreshing to see us beat up the other team's tough guys.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The team is currently fragmented and there is clearly a lot of in fighting and a lack of effort.

The only thing that could help them come together would be an impromptu roller hockey game against a squad of tough inner city youth.

roller-hockey2.jpg

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Didn't we have three fights last game? And lots of recent fights?

I happen to somewhat agree with OP. But rhe game has changed. And Lazar, Neil, Chiasson and Boro have fought the last 2 games. I don't think now we need an outright brawl. Pretty sure the team is fully together and are aggressive now and have each others backs.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah.....let's have Stone or Turris or Bobby break a hand or get a serious concussion for no reason!

Save the fighting for when someone deliberately tried to injure a teammate....not for a morale boost or bonding session.

:facepalm:

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah.....let's have Stone or Turris or Bobby break a hand or get a serious concussion for no reason!

Save the fighting for when someone deliberately tried to injure a teammate....not for a morale boost or bonding session.:facepalm:

Lazarcat respectfully disagrees. Note that he would usually smile while disagreeing as well... such a happy Lazarcat.

b98286575adf4904a80afde92679253b-Photo-2-213x165.jpg

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I can't believe all of those brawls are so long ago, even the 07 one. I feel so old and starting to become a "back in my day" kinda guy. The NHL seems just so passionless nowadays. I honestly have watched maybe 1 or 2 NHL games this season outside the Senators. Some of it has to do with life, but man, some of these matchups just don't do it for me. I used to follow a random west team for fun and watch some of their games but I havent done that this year, usually it would be like a Nashville or Winnipeg.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Save the fighting for when someone deliberately tried to injure a teammate....not for a morale boost or bonding session.

:facepalm:

Yeah, I dont think anyone suggested any of those guys fight. :shakehead

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I can't believe all of those brawls are so long ago, even the 07 one. I feel so old and starting to become a "back in my day" kinda guy. The NHL seems just so passionless nowadays. I honestly have watched maybe 1 or 2 NHL games this season outside the Senators. Some of it has to do with life, but man, some of these matchups just don't do it for me. I used to follow a random west team for fun and watch some of their games but I havent done that this year, usually it would be like a Nashville or Winnipeg.

Re watching that Buffalo brawl just reminded me why I love Ray Emery. Coach Murray too.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Completely agree. It's just a bunch of robots these days... no emotion. Guys in the bottom 6 used to play with an edge... now they play as if they are terrified they will be put on waivers the next day.

And boy do I miss Ray Emery. The concept of a goalie fighting a non-goalie is pretty mind-blowing. The concept of a goalie fighting the other team's enforcer is down-right amazing.

Staged-fighting sucks, but real fighting should stay in the game. One of my favourite series was that Islanders - Leafs one. Steve Webb charging guys left and right, Darcy Tucker threatening Mike Peca with death... PASSION.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad