Do the Sens even have an Identity?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
In response to this thread: How many basement dwellers have an identity?

Identities are created and galvanized through winning. It's the way you win games that becomes your identity. The Pesky Sens, for instance, were pesky because they hung around in games and had a number of comeback wins. If they had the hanging around without the comebacks, they wouldn't be pesky, would they?

We don't currently have an identity because we don't currently win a lot of games. If they win more than they lose next year, you'll see an identity develop.

It’s sad because a few years ago they had been on a path to building an identity. sure, they were losing but they were also in your face, physical and hard to play against.

Losing guys like Formenton, C. Brown, Nick Paul, and for all their flaws big defensemen like Josh Brown and Nick Holden altered that attitude.

Adding Debrincat, Chychrun, Kubalik and to an extent Tarasenko didn’t help. They’re good players (other than Kubalik) but they play a different style with a different mentality.

The sens seem to want to build around Brady so it would make sense to add more physical types. I hope that’s the plan because it’s fun style to watch and yields results in the playoffs.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bottom teams don’t have an identity. Reputations (team and player) are made in the playoffs.

Sens have no identity because they haven’t accomplished any of their goals

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
In response to this thread: How many basement dwellers have an identity?

Identities are created and galvanized through winning. It's the way you win games that becomes your identity. The Pesky Sens, for instance, were pesky because they hung around in games and had a number of comeback wins. If they had the hanging around without the comebacks, they wouldn't be pesky, would they?

We don't currently have an identity because we don't currently win a lot of games. If they win more than they lose next year, you'll see an identity develop.
Even losing teams have an identity, we have nothing outside of Tkachuks antics on and off the ice.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
What's the Sabres identity? What about the Ducks? The Blackhawks? The Sharks?
Well for starters, 3 of those teams are just freshly starting their rebuilds, they are accumulating fast, smaller skilled forwards as well as young defensemen who can move the puck and play a two-way game.

Buffalo is in a very similar position as us. If your name is attached to the Sabres in any way in 2024, a fast, young high-scoring (on both sides) is the first thing that will come to someone’s mind. They have some studs on D including a possible norris candidate in Dahlin. They have fired many coaches, like us, and are likely looking for a new identity as a team that can play a 200-game, and challenge for the playoffs.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Circus, shitshow, yardsale. That's what the Sens are known for. It's only been since Dorion DJ left that things have started to look different. That's 5 months. Until the team proves otherwise, that's what the indentity is.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well for starters, 3 of those teams are just freshly starting their rebuilds, they are accumulating fast, smaller skilled forwards as well as young defensemen who can move the puck and play a two-way game.

Buffalo is in a very similar position as us. If your name is attached to the Sabres in any way in 2024, a fast, young high-scoring (on both sides) is the first thing that will come to someone’s mind. They have some studs on D including a possible norris candidate in Dahlin. They have fired many coaches, like us, and are likely looking for a new identity as a team that can play a 200-game, and challenge for the playoffs.
So you can't identify an identity for any of the losing teams I listed? You didn't say anything about whether a team was just starting a rebuild or not, you said "Even losing teams have an identity".

I know it's hard to pinpoint something because nobody typically associates an identity with a team that's a bottom-dweller. I mean, feel free to take a shot at it anyway, but I wouldn't blame you if you couldn't come up with something.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
So you can't identify an identity for any of the losing teams I listed? You didn't say anything about whether a team was just starting a rebuild or not, you said "Even losing teams have an identity".

I know it's hard to pinpoint something because nobody typically associates an identity with a team that's a bottom-dweller. I mean, feel free to take a shot at it anyway, but I wouldn't blame you if you couldn't come up with something.

You do realize 3 of those teams you mentioned just started their rebuilds in the past 2 years right? It's rather early to quantify an identity for the Sharks who have sold everything of value in the past 2 seasons, but they are clearly planning for smaller, skilled teams who strongly emphasize 2-way games. Gone are the days of teams building up their d-core with size and brute strength, now teams are focusing on smaller puck-moving guys who can play sides well. I did identify an identity for those teams, as well as Buffalo, however, you chose to ignore everything that I wrote for some reason.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We don't have much of an identity aside from being easy to score on, play against, and easy to pressure.

Staios is coming into an environment where he gets to leave a mark and create a new identity, but so far we're just a mentally fragile team

Reactions: DrEasy

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What's the Sabres identity? What about the Ducks? The Blackhawks? The Sharks?
Maybe I should rephrase the question. What are the identities of the individual players on this team. Outside Stu and Brady you can't really give any of them them a moniker. Stu has elite qualities so you could give him sniper. Brady a power forward.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This team went way to young and never saw the importance of having veteran leadership in the room. I hope Staios addresses this.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe I should rephrase the question. What are the identities of the individual players on this team. Outside Stu and Brady you can't really give any of them them a moniker. Stu has elite qualities so you could give him sniper. Brady a power forward.
Pinto is a two way center, Norris if he can get back to healthy should be a snipper, well see I guess. Sanderson is a two way stud, especially defensively. Chabot is a transition guy that's injury prone...

This team went way to young and never saw the importance of having veteran leadership in the room. I hope Staios addresses this.
I mean, not to long ago everyone complained about the veterans, and how we need to run with the kids, Brassard, Stepan, Gudbranson, Hansey, Hamonic, ect Dorion clearly valued it, I'm guessing he just overestimated how far along our leadership group was.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Pinto is a two way center, Norris if he can get back to healthy should be a snipper, well see I guess. Sanderson is a two way stud, especially defensively. Chabot is a transition guy that's injury prone...

I mean, not to long ago everyone complained about the veterans, and how we need to run with the kids, Brassard, Stepan, Gudbranson, Hansey, Hamonic, ect Dorion clearly valued it, I'm guessing he just overestimated how far along our leadership group was.
I wasn't part of the evryone camp and I think many weren't on the boat too. Because of the contracts Dohrion gave out it prevented us from adding quality veterans so we ended up with broken down Brassard and Stepan, last pay check Hainsey, and Gudbranson was just meh journerman. Finding a way to keep DeBrincat and adding Kane would be the type of leadership our forwards would have really learned from. But again, poor cap management on potential killed moves like that.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes when goalie save percentage is below .850 we’re a lost young team immature not built right don’t clear the crease.

When goalie save percentage is above that we are “a team that plays fast that can play with most teams in the league and the forwards support the defence and the defence is quick in transition”

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Not at the moment, but that could change in a hurry under a new coaching staff.

For better or worse (honestly both) this team had an identity under Boucher despite having a ton of roster holes.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
Identity the last handful of years:

- Need a first NHL goal? We gotchu
- Your team need to break out of a slump? We gotchu
- Bad Novembers, followed by late season runs to get into the mushy middle

Reactions: Bileur

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Last season we definitely had an identity as a team that was extremely hard on the forecheck and rode extreme momentum swings (both good and bad), which also relied on the emotion Brady brought to the table.

This season is a mixed bag because of the GM and coaching changes.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Last season we definitely had an identity as a team that was extremely hard on the forecheck and rode extreme momentum swings (both good and bad), which also relied on the emotion Brady brought to the table.

I think that was a self-declared identity, lol.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

lol

• Haha
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad