Do the Leafs overcome their first round demons next year?

Do they break their curse?

• Total voters

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Hmmm. He has only been in T.O for 4 years and before that he was a back up his entire career.

He is a career back up IMO. Not a starting goalie in the NHL. He falls flat on his face every post season. He is the reason the Leafs have not had Success.
His "entire career" was 3 seasons.

In 2013-14, he played 24 games in the regular season, so yes, backup.

But he started 7 of the 13 games in the playoffs, so no, not backup (the 2 other goalies starting 4 and 2).

In 2014-15, he started 53 games in the regular season, so no, not backup.

He played all 16 games in the playoffs, so no, not backup.

In 2015-16, he played 2298 minutes in the regular season, versus 2295 for Gibson, so no, not backup.

He started 5 of 7 games in the playoffs, so no, not backup.

The poster you quoted is wrong, but you're even more wrong.

Nice try.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Na. Bernier was never called even a top 10 goaltender by majority of leafs fan. At best he was an average starter. Even Andersen lol. Leafs fans were the only ones calling him a choker and garbage in clutch time. It was the rest of HF trying to push the narrative that he's amazing and a top 3 goalie in an attempt to shit on the leafs D. Saying the D is so garbage, if Andersen wasn't playing like a vezina goalie they would have lost by 10, when in reality Andersen has been garbage when it's mattered most.

Stats in TOR below, Andersen's win/loss record trumps the latter two though.

Andersen: 244 GP, .916 sv%, 2.77 GAA, 13 SO
Bernier: 151 GP, .915 sv%, 2.81 GAA, 6 SO
Reimer: 207 GP, .914 sv%, 2.83 GAA, 11 SO

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Does anyone find people now exaggerate first round wins just because the Leafs are not winning them?
I bring this up because back in 2002' Leaf fans had parties on the streets over making the ECF and the fans were laughed at and were told if you don't win the cup it means nothing. Now I hear Oiler fans talking about winning "a round: 3 years ago like it was something.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Does anyone find people now exaggerate first round wins just because the Leafs are not winning them?
I bring this up because back in 2002' Leaf fans had parties on the streets over making the ECF and the fans were laughed at and were told if you don't win the cup it means nothing. Now I hear Oiler fans talking about winning "a round: 3 years ago like it was something.
And just for the sake of argument. And I have no idea why I'm even indulging someone who isn't even using their main account. Do you think there might be some middle ground between street parties over first round wins and them not mattering at all?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration. It’s just a reflection of the quality of the team. If the Lightning lost in the conference finals last year that would be viewed as a failure because they’ve been contenders for many years. If the Leafs win a first round series it will be viewed as a success because they haven’t won a round in a decade and a half.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I don’t think it’s an exaggeration. It’s just a reflection of the quality of the team. If the Lightning lost in the conference finals last year that would be viewed as a failure because they’ve been contenders for many years. If the Leafs win a first round series it will be viewed as a success because they haven’t won a round in a decade and a half.
I'm expecting more than a first round win.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hmmm. Joined November 20th?:laugh:
Sorry bud but you’re not fooling anyone.
As for the question,
I did some extensive research including looking at advanced stats and found that 100% of all Cup winners in NHL history won their first round playoff series. So no, I don’t think that the importance of he first round series is overstated.
Hope that helps you, new poster. Welcome aboard! :laugh:

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Hmmm. Joined November 20th?:laugh:
Sorry bud but your not fooling anyone.

As for the question,
I did some extensive research including looking at advanced stats and found that 100% of all Cup winners in NHL history won their first round playoff series. So no, I don’t think that the importance of he first round series is overstated.
Hope that helps you, new poster. Welcome aboard! :laugh:
LMAOOOOOOO that’s hilarious

Reactions: dukeofjive

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm expecting more than a first round win.
Imo the Leafs come out of the Canadian Division, so that gets them to the Conference Finals. They lose to one of the three US Division winners at that stage. But that’s the best for them for a very long time, and a building block for their young core group.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Imo the Leafs come out of the Canadian Division, so that gets them to the Conference Finals. They lose to one of the three US Division winners at that stage. But that’s the best for them for a very long time, and a building block for their young core group.

They are not coming out of any division if they don't understand how to play in the playoffs. You don't play pond hockey in the playoffs. Columbus has showed how easily their big guns can get shutdown. I am a Leafs fan and I don't have much faith in this squad. One trick pony.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
They are not coming out of any division if they don't understand how to play in the playoffs. You don't play pond hockey in the playoffs. Columbus has showed how easily their big guns can get shutdown. I am a Leafs fan and I don't have much faith in this squad. One trick pony.

Not really. THey needed insane goaltending. It wasn't easy at all. Andersen posted a 9.36 save % in the series and was the 3rd best goalie

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Have to look at the Canadian Division competition though. I see the Leafs needing to get through the Habs in round one, which they should do. Then it’s the Flames in round two, and I think they get through them too. It’s not like they are going up against a powerhouse team, like Boston, or TBay.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You don't play pond hockey in the playoffs. Columbus has showed how easily their big guns can get shutdown.
They don't play pond hockey in the playoffs. The only thing Columbus showed was their goalie having a super hot run, and even that was more-so against depth...

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Have to look at the Canadian Division competition though. I see the Leafs needing to get through the Habs in round one, which they should do. Then it’s the Flames in round two, and I think they get through them too. It’s not like they are going up against a powerhouse team, like Boston, or TBay.
Why should they get through the Habs? The Habs may not have the top end talent like the Leafs do, but what they do have is a top goalie capable of stealing a series and a willingness to play a smothering game. The Habs this year are the exact kind of team that would give the Leafs fits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad