Do the Jets actually have an internal cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Many budget teams(preds..... OK maybe only preds) are perennial playoff teams. Just need a good draft and develop strategy.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The jets have spent alot of money on upgrades to the MTS Center and Iceplex. That money came from profits earned from the team, which could of been spent on players if they chose. This tells us that the money was there to spend if need be. A situational budget

I heard Chipman say this too. Who cares about the building, people are there to watch games not admire the building, I'd rather see that money being spent on the roster.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
I heard Chipman say this too. Who cares about the building, people are there to watch games not admire the building, I'd rather see that money being spent on the roster.

So would I, my point was the money was there to spend on players. Which means the jets could of spent to cap if they wanted too.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Something I'll just toss out there: who really cares at this point whether or not the Jets have an internal cap? How are the Jets being handicapped by an inability to spend?

Let's start with UFAs. For the most part, useful UFAs don't really have Winnipeg on their radar. So that leaves a lot of marginally effective to completely useless UFAs (probably 60-75% of the UFA class in any given year) that we wouldn't be signing as the result of an internal cap. The most effective UFAs we've signed or had the chance to sign have been the bargain basement guys like Montoya, Stempniak and Wellwood.

So what does that leave. Taking on salary by trading our prospects/picks for roster players? No indication that Chevy wants to do that, save for the worthless Setoguchi deal. Retaining core vets heading to UFA? Struck out on Frolik (though it's not entirely clear that was budget-driven) and managed to retain Buff. Ability to sign all our cost-controlled players that will demand top dollar? Still remains to be seen.

The very blunt and tl;dr version is that I don't think budget consciousness is the biggest threat to success with this management group. Ability (or lack thereof) to identify effective NHL players may very well be.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The jets have spent alot of money on upgrades to the MTS Center and Iceplex. That money came from profits earned from the team, which could of been spent on players if they chose. This tells us that the money was there to spend if need be. A situational budget

The other possibility is the nhl wanted them to upgrade certain items and gave them so many years to do it.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

If all people care about is watching the game, they can do that at no cost in the comfort of their living rooms. When I shell out over $300 for the in-person experience, the quality of the venue matters a lot. My enjoyment of attending has increased immensely by moving into the new loge seats. I'm very pleased they chose to put money into such upgrades.

I'm also of the belief that long term infrastructure decisions play no part in how much is spent on player salaries in any given year.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
You can go over a budget line, but not a cap. Jets player budget might be mid-cap in most seasons until they have a roster that warrants a budget close to or at the cap.

That's nothing more than hammering a square peg into a round hole to fit your own semantics. Chevy could exceed both a budget line and an internal salary cap because they are the same thing, but he would very likely need Chipman's permission. I'm not saying one way is better than another, but the top line of a team's player budget is the same thing as a team's internal salary cap.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Budget is a much more accurate word than cap. If a business doesn't follow a budget for all of their budget lines (major and minor) it doesn't stay in business long. Hockey also has the added complexity of the league cap so that teams have to manage that budgetary expenditure to stay under a league wide line and overspending in one year, regardless of current and projected revenues, could set up a situation in which personnel decisions could be limited in the future. Both of those financial restraints need to be planned for years into the future and they each afect the other.

The salary budget has a top line. That's the cap. It might very well change from year to year because of circumstances stemming from the league and/or internally, but it's still the number under which Chipman wants Chevy to stay (unless deviation is agreed upon). It's not complicated, and it doesn't require a dictionary.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I can't really speak from experience but others that have gone to Phillips Arena often have said that the Thrashers ownership let that building rot. It takes away from the experience of being there and just hurts the fans and the city in the long run. The building isn't even 20 years old and needs major work done on it. Trust me when I say it's best in the long run that they are willing to spend money on the arena.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't really want the Jets to be a "cap team" At least not yet. If and when the team spends to the cap, the team better be a serious challenger for the cup. I prefer they spend wisely now and stay out of the high priced UFA market. See what kind if "value" players are left ofter the frenzy and bargain shop.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Budget, cap, same difference. Just terminology for media and fans to chat about. Cap?, no way, we don't have a cap. Budget, of course, every business has a budget.

To say that TSNE could decide to spend over the budget if the timing is right, but not a 'cap' is just semantics. This is not a publicly traded company. It's the same decision from a TSNE perspective. So if it makes you feel good, call it a budget instead of a cap. It's the same difference.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Budget, cap, same difference. Just terminology for media and fans to chat about. Cap?, no way, we don't have a cap. Budget, of course, every business has a budget.

To say that TSNE could decide to spend over the budget if the timing is right, but not a 'cap' is just semantics. This is not a publicly traded company. It's the same decision from a TSNE perspective. So if it makes you feel good, call it a budget instead of a cap. It's the same difference.

There is a reason. In the salary cap environment a team can't just choose to spend over the cap. The upper limit of the CBA salary cap is a hard limit. An internal budget can be exceeded without penalty from the league.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
There is a reason. In the salary cap environment a team can't just choose to spend over the cap. The upper limit of the CBA salary cap is a hard limit. An internal budget can be exceeded without penalty from the league.

However, that has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about a Jets internal cap. The Jets can chose to exceed the Jets internal 'cap' or 'budget' whenever they want to. It's just a management / business decision that would be made at that time.

Unless your argument is that the original poster is saying that the Jets internal cap = the CBA salary cap.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
However, that has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about a Jets internal cap. The Jets can chose to exceed the Jets internal 'cap' or 'budget' whenever they want to. It's just a management / business decision that would be made at that time.

Unless your argument is that the original poster is saying that the Jets internal cap = the CBA salary cap.

No I pointed out earlier that chipman responded "no" when asked if the team had an internal cap

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
With the Jets being labelled cheap from fans and media alike I understand why Chipman would say we dont have an internal cap.

Also, there is a huge difference between an internal cap this year, and an internal cap that would stop us from signing our own star players in the future.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
OK. Then I don't understand your previous post where you counter argue mine.

It's pretty simple. A budget is soft and can be exceeded. A cap cannot be exceeded. The Jets have a salary budget. I don't consider it an internal cap. I disagree with the terminology

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When a team is up against a real cap, they have to make decisions that often reduce the quality of the team (e.g. Hawks trading Sharp, Lightning not able to sign Stamkos).

A team that has a budget can increase the salary budget line if and when needed to maintain or improve the quality of the team.

That distinction is more than semantic.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Something I'll just toss out there: who really cares at this point whether or not the Jets have an internal cap? How are the Jets being handicapped by an inability to spend?

Let's start with UFAs. For the most part, useful UFAs don't really have Winnipeg on their radar. So that leaves a lot of marginally effective to completely useless UFAs (probably 60-75% of the UFA class in any given year) that we wouldn't be signing as the result of an internal cap. The most effective UFAs we've signed or had the chance to sign have been the bargain basement guys like Montoya, Stempniak and Wellwood.

So what does that leave. Taking on salary by trading our prospects/picks for roster players? No indication that Chevy wants to do that, save for the worthless Setoguchi deal. Retaining core vets heading to UFA? Struck out on Frolik (though it's not entirely clear that was budget-driven) and managed to retain Buff. Ability to sign all our cost-controlled players that will demand top dollar? Still remains to be seen.

The very blunt and tl;dr version is that I don't think budget consciousness is the biggest threat to success with this management group. Ability (or lack thereof) to identify effective NHL players may very well be.

While I agree with your tl;dr conclusion, I don't accept the premise that the Jets budget/cap hasn't hurt the team.

In the last calendar year, we've lost Michael Frolik over a rounding error and traded away our captain because he wanted something close to market value (Remember when we were going to build our team around character players who wanted to be here??) While we may never attract UFAs like Stamkos but we might consider trying to sign the top 6 players who build homes here and publicly declare their desire to stay.

Our 99 point team turned into a 76 point one at least partially because of money. They've also refused to buy out Pavelec or bring in meaningful competition that costs more than league minimum. Even the bankrupt Coyotes have more buyouts than us. So yes, I think you can make a good case to say that not spending has definitely hurt the competitiveness of the team. Cheapman strikes again!

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
... and traded away our captain because he wanted something close to market value (Remember when we were going to build our team around character players who wanted to be here??) ...

What were you prepared to offer him? If the Jets had re-signed him for $6x6 (as was rumoured his ask to be), would you have been content with that contract?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad