Do players not play through injuries anymore (Nylander)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I hope so. NHL needs to seriously update their policies regarding injury handling. Just about ALWAYS players return too early, play injured, and ruin their long-term health, their team's long-term success, and their own happiness.

In hockey, there's this toxic culture that it's "cool" or "tough" to play injured and sacrifice yourself for the team. That's such a short-sighted way of thinking. If the teams aren't able to be responsible on their own, there needs to be an external body that forbids players from playing injured.
Please share stats which show amount of times players come back too early from injuries. Just trying to verify the math in the almost always statistic. Also, what you refer to as toxic culture some refer to as having guts, character and determination. These used to be considered as admirable qualities. Crazy times we are living in. Whats yout stance on fighting by the way? Just curious.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It's their bodies they put on the line out there. I always find it distasteful to make comments about a player not playing thru an injury. We don't know how much they're hurting. These are professional athletes who spend their whole lives preparing for playing in moments like the playoffs and they sacrifice as much of themselves as they can to go out and play.

Last edited:

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
So people want him to play through an injury and they don't know what the injury is? Ok

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Yes Nylander is soft, like really soft!

People need to remember that this is William Nylander:
View attachment 859338
Does that seem like a guy that shows up for the playoffs?!

Now back in the days the Leafs had Swedes like this that the rest of us Swedes could be proud of: View attachment 859339
I never could have imagined that Mulletman was a phrenologist

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I mean, come on....Marchand was <sarcasm> brutally slashed, causing instant impairment, but being the warrior he is, he managed to call forth the strength to continue, soldier on, and eventually contributed offensively to the next game's win. Now *that* is mental and physical toughness personified </sarcasm>

Reactions: HofT

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not only Nylander but also:
Andrew Peeke, Derek Forbort ,Justin Brazeau, Matthew Poitras, Brett Pesce,, Justus Annunen
Samuel Girard , Logan O'Connor, Jonathan Drouin, Gabriel Landeskog, Radek Faksa, Mason Marchment, Jani Hakanpaa, Sam Bennet, Scott , Flip Chytil, Blake Wheeler, Mikhail Sergachev, Bobby McMann, Jake Muzzin, Thatcher Demko, Nicolas Hague.
Wimps.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Not only Nylander but also:
Andrew Peeke, Derek Forbort ,Justin Brazeau, Matthew Poitras, Brett Pesce,, Justus Annunen
Samuel Girard , Logan O'Connor, Jonathan Drouin, Gabriel Landeskog, Radek Faksa, Mason Marchment, Jani Hakanpaa, Sam Bennet, Scott , Flip Chytil, Blake Wheeler, Mikhail Sergachev, Bobby McMann, Jake Muzzin, Thatcher Demko, Nicolas Hague.
Wimps.

This thread has no place for such logic.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Many Lightning players played through injuries, some serious, during their deep runs from 2015-2022. Not sure of other NHL teams playoff injury reports.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
Most coaches would of said Nylander was out and not sure when he would be back, not maybe game 1 or game 2 or 3 Keefe adding drama to a team that is always swimming in it will be fired even if the leafs beat the bruins.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Migraines are no joke. I feel bad for him. Not that he’s missing hockey games, but that he’s experiencing what he is. Hope he gets better.

People saying he should play through this don’t have a clue. Completely illogical. Dangerous to his health. The team hasn’t even figured out why he’s having these migraines. Would be unsafe to play another hockey game before he figures out the cause of this.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
umm yeah players still play through injueis. who was it again that fell into the skate blade face first, got stitches and come back?
Hockey players are tough but migraine are a different beast. the light is very painful to be in as well.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
umm yeah players still play through injueis. who was it again that fell into the skate blade face first, got stitches and come back?
Hockey players are tough but migraine are a different beast. the light is very painful to be in as well.
As a Migraine suffer, light and sound.

When I have a migraine I could not be in a NHL arena with 20K people lights sounds, let alone play

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I hope so. NHL needs to seriously update their policies regarding injury handling. Just about ALWAYS players return too early, play injured, and ruin their long-term health, their team's long-term success, and their own happiness.

In hockey, there's this toxic culture that it's "cool" or "tough" to play injured and sacrifice yourself for the team. That's such a short-sighted way of thinking. If the teams aren't able to be responsible on their own, there needs to be an external body that forbids players from playing injured.
its players decision to come back and play through an injury. I would call this heart. something every team needs, this isnt Basketball where you twist your ankle and get carried off by 6 team mates.

one of the things I find that makes hockey the greatest sport in the world.

As a Migraine suffer, light and sound.

When I have a migraine I could not be in a NHL arena with 20K people lights sounds, let alone play
I forgot about the sound. but yes everything. Willy has likely been laying down in a dark room alot lately. I couldnt imagine even looking at the ice when the lights turn on then the fans on top of it. guy would play like 1 shift and prob get off before it ended

Reactions: CDN24

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Hockey players are known for getting stitches and then going right back out. Not dehabilitating injuries that don’t allow you to walk let alone ice skate.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Players have played through injuries and still do. Also, players used to sit out due to injury and still do. It's to do with the severity of course. I'm sure if Nylander thought he could be useful to the team he would play

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
He would never say that, but he also currently has no idea what his quality of life is going to be in say, 5 years. If he can't run to play with his kids was it worth it?
Alot of these athletes at the highest level live and breathe their sport. It comes with the game. It's not like he's in a wheelchair either lol I'm sure he can still play with his kids.

Another way of looking at it is he made a butt load of money that he can provide for his family and his kids are set for life now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad