Do players not play through injuries anymore (Nylander)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
While the above is true - every concussion issue is completely independent and you can't use one player's experience to establish a precedent or baseline because of the massive variability based on severity and the impact of prior concussions.
I can't believe you even needed to clarify this lol.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If it was a concussion would he even be able to be skating at practice? I also think he's been participating to a degree that usually players coming off a concussion do not do. I also think that Wischusen said they had an entire crew at ESPN re-watch the 82nd game and were fairly confident if he did have an injury it was not concussion related.

The rumor I heard was he took a soccer ball to the face and that he was in concussion protocol. That would make sense to me given the one injury you can’t mess around with in the playoffs are concussions. Would also explain why there’s no footage from the last game.

EDIT - the reports of migraines makes sense too. I guess not mutually exclusive from what I heard.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Its possible hes dealing with concussion symptoms/migraines.

If its anything head related, you dont f*** with those and try to play through them.
According to multiple sources, William Nylander’s absence from the Toronto lineup has to do with a migraine so severe that team doctors tested to see if he suffered a concussion. One of the reasons for the secrecy around his situation is that an actual diagnosis has been hard to come by, whether it is a migraine, a concussion or something else that could affect that area.

Oh look at that.

Nylander has talked about getting migraines in the past, its why he always wears a tinted visor now.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
While the above is true - every concussion issue is completely independent and you can't use one player's experience to establish a precedent or baseline because of the massive variability based on severity and the impact of prior concussions.

You never know with head injuries.

I got knocked out playing pickup basketball in college and I've had 3 concussions since, 1 of which was after a sneeze attack.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He did tie the game that led to the ot winner (our only damn win) with a broken sternum, but yeah he was basically done after that.
Did he even play the final game or two? Thought he was out at some point.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Eyssimont hit Nylander in the open ice pretty hard in Game 75 (the game in Toronto, not the Kucherov/Matthews competition Game 82 in Tampa), but no clue if that started a migraine issue/concussion for Nylander.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
You always hear stories about playoff "warriors" playing on one leg or worse but you hardly ever hear the myriad of cases of players playing injured and being a liability for their teams. Remember when Boston's coach had the bright idea of playing the injured Ullmark last year? Tip of the iceberg.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Everyone's so soft now I can tell you from experience I've had concussions a'plenty and they're no big deal me in jacks are wild bunch of angry banana and spit on your grave bob park my car mark my worlds end and take that to your damn pelican all day plus dangers of long-term memory lapses are overblown.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Everyone's so soft now I can tell you from experience I've had concussions a'plenty and they're no big deal me in jacks are wild bunch of angry banana and spit on your grave bob park my car mark my worlds end and take that to your damn pelican all day plus dangers of long-term memory lapses are overblown.
I can 100% say that I do not have any doubt that you've been concussed plenty of times!! ;o)

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Some players have different tolerances for pain. Stamkos in 2011 Game 7 took a puck to nose and was back out soon after.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Some players have different tolerances for pain. Stamkos in 2011 Game 7 took a puck to nose and was back out soon after.

How’d that end up going for him? Had the only goal of the game scored against him? But hey at least he was tough, who cares whether he can actually contribute or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You always hear stories about playoff "warriors" playing on one leg or worse but you hardly ever hear the myriad of cases of players playing injured and being a liability for their teams. Remember when Boston's coach had the bright idea of playing the injured Ullmark last year? Tip of the iceberg.
Generally speaking if it's a star player playing through injuries you are probably better with them than your #13 forward.

But to do that with a goalie is just stupid.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's extremely unfair to assume Nylander can play right now. We don't know the issue, don't be a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

Reactions: Mandar

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Players should never have to play through injury. What's the NHLPA for anyway? Sean Monahan played through injury for years. He'd probably still be a Flame if he just got the rest he needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad