Do players not play through injuries anymore (Nylander)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
If it was a concussion would he even be able to be skating at practice? I also think he's been participating to a degree that usually players coming off a concussion do not do. I also think that Wischusen said they had an entire crew at ESPN re-watch the 82nd game and were fairly confident if he did have an injury it was not concussion related.

ESPN thinks Matthews is the best player in the playoffs. What do they know about hockey?

Reactions: Turbonium

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If it was a concussion would he even be able to be skating at practice? I also think he's been participating to a degree that usually players coming off a concussion do not do. I also think that Wischusen said they had an entire crew at ESPN re-watch the 82nd game and were fairly confident if he did have an injury it was not concussion related.
Rantanen was concussed near the end of the regular season. He missed a total of 2 games and was back on the ice after like 4-5 days.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
We keep hearing that he is a game time decision, so obviously the injury can't be that bad. Is Nylander just being soft or what is going on?

1. The Leafs saying he's a game time decision doesn't actually make it true. It's quite possible they knew he wasn't going to be in the lineup, but want to keep the Bruins guessing. It wouldn't be the first time a team has done that.
2. Even if it actually was a game time decision, the injury not being "that bad" isn't something you can gauge based on that. Sometimes things can flare up and sometimes they can be manageable.
3. Just going out there and trying to be a hero isn't necessarily a good thing. If you're going to be a liability out there you should stay in the press box.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Watching hockey for many years, you always hear about players playing through really tough injuries. Some players will block a puck with their face and be back the next game. Some players play through broken bones.

Is this some new age thing where players don't push through injuries? Why is Nylander not playing?

We keep hearing that he is a game time decision, so obviously the injury can't be that bad. Is Nylander just being soft or what is going on?
Look at Weber, Price and Byron and the 2021 playoffs. By playing through the injuries they had that spring they basically ended their careers. Going back further, Muller played through a badly separated shoulder in 1993. He was never the same player.

The Leafs should be deep enough to play a round without him. If they can get through the first round, and he's able to play, they're better for it. I don't see much point in trying to play on something that could be made worse, result in requiring surgery, and keep you out of the lineup into the next season.

Reactions: Turbonium

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It depends, some injuries you can't play through.

For example, what if he's having serious vision issues cause of a head injury? You can't really play through something like that.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Sometimes, it's okay to say that you don't know something rather than starting a topic thread about it being a "new age thing."

As others have pointed out here, it's often not in the team's best interest to play through an injury.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Kind of a bad take considering last year Tkachuk was playing for a while through a broken sternum, Ekblad and others also through considerable injuries, Draisaitl not long ago through a high ankle sprain and Landeskog through a knee injury that has now ended his career, etc. The list is exhaustive and I'm probably forgetting countless other injuries from last playoffs players played with alone that I just cant remember off the top of my head atm. We never know what a player is playing with or through, and to assume that Nylander is dealing with an injury that he could play through is just silly. If Nylander could play, he would, regardless of what your narrative is about him or Toronto.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Depends on the injury?
Sure maybe he could play and be at 20% but not really heal so if Toronto does get past Boston you have a Nylander who is still at 20%. Or you let him heal cause him in his current state wouldn't be a difference so IF you do get past Boston, you get a huge boost when he is healthy.

It all depends on the injury and how well you can function with it. That and every injury effects different kinds of players differently. Like a 4th liner can easily play with a broken hand or finger or something, guys who stick handle and shoot lots might not be able too without it having a huge impact.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Players in recent years have played with torn acls, broken ribs, broken wrists, broken sternums etc, it's gotta be something more serious if he's missing time. Rumors were head injury, no idea if there's any truth to that. But assuming it's a concussion or head/neck injury, you have to be very careful trying to play through that, that's the kind of re-injury that can end a career.

Again we don't know for sure what his injury is, but no players as a whole are not soft, they are more educated and a lot of old practices don't take place now. Guys playing with destroyed knees/concussions only to have significant long term injuries/difficulties later in life.

Reactions: TD Charlie

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If he is suffering from migraines as he has in the past, I can't imagine trying to play through a severe migraine. The physical exertion is enough, but adding the sound of 20,000 fans could be debilitating.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I hope so. NHL needs to seriously update their policies regarding injury handling. Just about ALWAYS players return too early, play injured, and ruin their long-term health, their team's long-term success, and their own happiness.

In hockey, there's this toxic culture that it's "cool" or "tough" to play injured and sacrifice yourself for the team. That's such a short-sighted way of thinking. If the teams aren't able to be responsible on their own, there needs to be an external body that forbids players from playing injured.

All of that plus, from the player's perspective (depending on their own mindset...), if playing hurt damages something badly & you don't 'ever' come fully back, that's likely to shorten your career by a year or two. The non star players are probably the most likely to play through injury as they have to constantly show why they should be in the league, so it's more the star/higher paid players who know their job is secure even if they don't 'give it their all'. So potentially, losing 2-3 years off your career could cost them $10+ million.

It's hard to blame them for not sacrificing their bodies when that's factored in.
I think you've mistaken this thread for the the Badminton one a few clicks away....Come on, most players work their entire lives to play in the Stanley Cup playoffs. If it is concussion related, don't play, that's the one injury where it is 100% justified to miss games. All the rest, real hockey players/warriors play through it, there are hundreds of stories of Hall of Fame players that played through many injuries, and had very long careers. Look up Bob Gainey playoffs, and there are so many others.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If he is suffering from migraines as he has in the past, I can't imagine trying to play through a severe migraine. The physical exertion is enough, but adding the sound of 20,000 fans could be debilitating.

This. Not to mention if he did try to play through it and made a mistake due to not being able to think properly, all the people here chirping him for not playing would instead be calling him bad.

Dumb thread is dumb.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yes Nylander is soft, like really soft!

People need to remember that this is William Nylander:
View attachment 859338
Does that seem like a guy that shows up for the playoffs?!

Now back in the days the Leafs had Swedes like this that the rest of us Swedes could be proud of: View attachment 859339
All I'm getting from this post is "bald=tough".

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Rantanen was concussed near the end of the regular season. He missed a total of 2 games and was back on the ice after like 4-5 days.
While the above is true - every concussion issue is completely independent and you can't use one player's experience to establish a precedent or baseline because of the massive variability based on severity and the impact of prior concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad