Do overzealous goalie pulls annoy anyone else?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It used to be that a goalie is pulled down 2 at the most. Sometimes but very rarely you saw three goals down. I still remember from my first season watching the Rangers in 00-01 the Rangers were losing 5-2 to the Devils they pulled their goalie and Chico Resche was like "I've seen goalies pulled one goal down and two goal downs but I've never seen a goalie pulled three goals down." Now three goals down is common place. And I know this was an elimination game and Cooper was probably like YOLO but the Lightning pulled their goalie FOUR (!!!) goals down. As a fan I hate it, it results in many more embarrassing losses for no gain as no one's coming back down 4 goals with 4 minute left to play especially in the playoffs.
Coop pulled the goalie first at THREE goals down not four.
I guess you must of betted the “under”.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Roy was a bit of a freak. He’d pull the goalie with 10 minutes left in a game and likely out of frustration.

It was Roy's coach (Crawford) who is the first one I remember that would do the unconventional move like pull the goalie with 3 or more goals down and several minutes left.

Roy seemed to get it more commercialized though. I always wondered if Crawford ended up putting that seed in Roy's head. Anyways, the league as whole had no appetite to change the conventional 1 minute goalie pull back then

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Not sure why it matters. Whether you are down 1 or 4 goals, depending on how much time is on the clock, if you score one, then maybe you put your goalie back in, and pull him again. In the playoffs the final score means nothing, all that matters is who wins the game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i'd like to see teams do it for top line shifts starting about 5 or 6 minutes out. pull the goalie for the top line. put him back in after a minute on the first whistle. rest your top line and repeat.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I'll admit that I have a weird reason for not liking it. I like the score of the game to at least somewhat tell a story. 6-1 tells a much different story than 4-1.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd pull the Goalie if I were down by 10

there's literally no reason not to if it increases the chances of winning even if it's still a tiny chance

Reactions: KeydGV21

Breaded Fox

Having no plan isn't a plan.
Nov 8, 2010
NJ
I always liked the end of period goalie pulls when there is only a second or two on the clock.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It used to be that a goalie is pulled down 2 at the most. Sometimes but very rarely you saw three goals down. I still remember from my first season watching the Rangers in 00-01 the Rangers were losing 5-2 to the Devils they pulled their goalie and Chico Resche was like "I've seen goalies pulled one goal down and two goal downs but I've never seen a goalie pulled three goals down." Now three goals down is common place. And I know this was an elimination game and Cooper was probably like YOLO but the Lightning pulled their goalie FOUR (!!!) goals down. As a fan I hate it, it results in many more embarrassing losses for no gain as no one's coming back down 4 goals with 4 minute left to play especially in the playoffs.

I get it, but from an analytical standpoint- stats show that if you’re down 2 goals you should pull the goalie with 5+ minutes, 2.5+ minutes for 1 goal. Losing by 1 goal or 5 does not matter, so go for it, basically.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Just for clarification…you’re asking if it bothers people that NHL teams do anything possible to try and win a game?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I don't get why this would be annoying to you. What's the annoying part?

Reactions: KeydGV21

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I dont understand how analytics actually support this tbh. Maybe someone can help. Ive seen way more goals scored on empty nets than goals scored by the extra attacker team. Is 6 on 5's goals per min way higher than 5 on 5?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All goalie pulls annoy me, even the zealous ones.

It's really not that effective. It's especially annoying when a team is getting looks and has the momentum going, and they put the opponent up by two, ending the game with 2:15 left.
I dont understand how analytics actually support this tbh. Maybe someone can help. Ive seen way more goals scored on empty nets than goals scored by the extra attacker team. Is 6 on 5's goals per min way higher than 5 on 5?
They don't.

There was one year, I think it was 13-14, where pulling your goalie was a cheat code. It seems like it was just a collective random shooting bender, as it has never reached those levels of effectiveness again. The whole "pulling earlier is better" thing never actually held up.

The one time NHL coaches listened to analytics and it was stupid.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The worst is when they do it already on the powerplay. You already have a 20% chance of scoring if you have a decent powerplay. A cloggy ass no room on the ice 6v4 isn't worth having your net empty.

30 seconds left, sure. It's supposed to be a desperation move. Doing it with 2+ minutes left is horseshit.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
I wish teams would pull them even more often. Up 6 goals going into the 3rd? Pull the goalie and risk a goal because you are that cocky. Pull them at the start of the game for the flex. Be like the Wild and pull them in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad