Do Marner and Tavares start next season as a Leaf?

Do Marner and Tavares start next season as a Leaf?

• Yes both will

Votes: 63 41.4%
  • Marner does but not Tavares

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Tavares does but not Marner

Votes: 84 55.3%
  • Neither will

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t think there’s any reason to think Tavares doesn’t. He only has one year left and he’s not going to fetch anything in trade at that price. He’ll play it out and either be re-signed for cheap or walk. Marner I think there’s a good chance could be dealt

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Marner will be traded this summer
To which team? He has a NMC and hes from Toronto and clearly enjoys the marketing benefits. He wouldn't accept a trade ro anything but a contender and who has the right pieces to trade and cap space?

Both will probably be on the leafs

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I think Tavares will stay. No reason for him to waive at this point in his career unless he decides he wants a chance to win a cup. The problem is any contender probably wont be able to absorb his cap. Even with some retention.
Marner is a different story. He has lots of career left and may have had enough of the scrutiny in TO. He does not seem to handle pressure well so may want to move to a quieter market. It wont be an easy deal to make though. Toronto will overvalue him based on the regular season. Other teams will undervalue him based on Playoffs. The second issue is Marner probably wont waive for anything but the perfect destination. That leaves very few options I would think

Reactions: I am not exposed

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Voted Marner leaving only because of the Seth Jones rumors. Realistically he stays in Toronto, signs an 8 year $12.5m AAV deal and keeps dealing with the yearly press conferences in May after losing in the playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don’t think there’s any reason to think Tavares doesn’t. He only has one year left and he’s not going to fetch anything in trade at that price. He’ll play it out and either be re-signed for cheap or walk. Marner I think there’s a good chance could be dealt

Tavares isn’t waiving

But in no way should the Leafs try to re-sign him, even if cheap. They need a change in the worst way

Reactions: Glacious

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Went with both, since teams that might want MM , and a team he would waive to, might not be able to fit him in cap wise, unless some retaining.
And of course the NMC.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I doubt they trade Marner unless they get a comparable player back on defence. Yes, depth is important but anytime you trade an elite talent like him you need to do a 1 for 1 / hockey trade. Moreso in the Leafs case as they are cup contenders

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Yep, they both will, out of the 4 these are the last two that will get moved. Tavares is probably the first one they are trying to move and when they find out no one wants a plug for 11million they either wait for his contract to be over, or shop Nylander (or as you guys say it Niilander). Trading Nylander would get you some serious return, but Shanahan is probably too p***y to do it, so its most likely going to be waiting out JohnnyPyjamas contract to end and then sign some bums to a 1 year contract that they think will make their 3rd or 4th line better.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think they'll bully Marner into giving them a list of 5 or so teams he'd extend with and likely trade him 25 cents on a dollar.

Pajama Boy's not going anywhere. Nobody wants him, Leafs aren't gonna retain 50 % and have a bunch of dead cap next year, and he likely doesn't want to leave.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The only way I could imagine the "new" MLSE under Pelley signs Marner is if it's a short-term "show me" deal, which for obvious reasons he would never sign.

Finding a buyer won't be too hard, finding one he's willing to waive for may be. But he's clearly worn out his welcome and since it's highly likely Tavares will play out his last year Mitch is the sacrificial lamb.

The upside for Mitch is he gets to ink an 8-year deal this summer with a new team rather than play this one out, gamble that it's worth the risk and settle on a 7-year deal instead, perhaps with the very same team. To me, it makes sense but I'm not Mitch.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Voted Marner leaving only because of the Seth Jones rumors. Realistically he stays in Toronto, signs an 8 year $12.5m AAV deal and keeps dealing with the yearly press conferences in May after losing in the playoffs.
Seth Jones rumours?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He likes being carjacked and having to hire personal security?

Being the victim of a crime and having personal security doesn't mean you don't like where you live.

Mitch Marner has made it abundantly clear multiple times that Toronto is his home and that he loves playing for the Leafs and being in a massive market.

That doesn't mean he won't agree to a trade but the guy has always seemed to love it there.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I really wonder if JT goes. I wouldn’t have thought it but maybe.

As of July 2 he is owed 910k.
I wonder if a cheap team like Buffalo or Carolina wants him

Kuzy for JT in Carolina could work. They need C depth.
Jt is a 30 goal 60 pt player.

Washington needs c depth.
Pitt could take him and go full old guys.
Buffalo (with retention) could want him to help with leadership and be close to home.

Would be a soft deal. 3rd party retention on July 2 could be easy.

Being the victim of a crime and having personal security doesn't mean you don't like where you live.

Mitch Marner has made it abundantly clear multiple times that Toronto is his home and that he loves playing for the Leafs and being in a massive market.

That doesn't mean he won't agree to a trade but the guy has always seemed to love it there.

Lots of insiders and people who cover the team have a very different take. They believed he was willing to move on last year.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I hope to God not but as a Leaf fan you learn; if something is the stupidest/worst outcome, that's the one that is going to happen.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think marner goes and JT stays for the last year. Is tre going to resign marner for 8x12? No, so you have to trade him and get assets back or lose him next summer for nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad