Player Discussion Dmitry Orlov

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orlov can skate the puck, dangle the puck, shoot the puck. he can throw a nisky style boomer of a hit. His upside remains above Schmidt who at present is steadier and making more consistant decisions. Schmidt looks like he has an offensive game, but it looks more and more like its more appearance than reality. When Orlov is making decisions like Schmidt he will jump Schmidt in the lineup.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Orlov can skate the puck, dangle the puck, shoot the puck. he can throw a nisky style boomer of a hit. His upside remains above Schmidt who at present is steadier and making more consistant decisions. Schmidt looks like he has an offensive game, but it looks more and more like its more appearance than reality. When Orlov is making decisions like Schmidt he will jump Schmidt in the lineup.

I agree. The skill level is much higher for Orly IMO. Once his decision making improves and his glaring blunders disappear, he's going to be a great #4. Imagine he turns into the next D. Kasparaitis (with more O and minus the health issues)...I'd take that.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'm afraid he's already beyond a $3 per AAV contract. Unless he's in love with his situation here, I think it's going to be hard to keep him at some point.

No PP, no PK, 3rd pair, low QoC ffs! He's getting more than twice comparing to Schmidt. His situation isn't that bad. Didn't even show anything in playoffs yet too.

Him signing his QO is still possible I think. Idk when he's arbitration eligible though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Beautiful pass to Ovechkin last night. I like how he always is looking to make a play from the point. The slap pass to Burakovsky against the Kings is another good example.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
A defenseman with major offensive talent. Very interesting player - I hope he continues improving.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
http://www.japersrink.com/2016/2/24/11102258/dmitry-orlov-starts-it-alex-ovechkin-ends-it

This is exactly the type of play that I have referenced that makes Orlov so good. Forget the assist, the initial pass he made in the defensive zone that led to the breakout is the difference between being pinned in your own zone and starting an attack the other way.

There is more to being a good defenseman than grit and intangibles. Being able to make good exit passes that lead to possession on the other end of the ice is extremely important, and this is why Corsi isn't just some throwaway stat, it helps measure these small plays that otherwise would not appear on the statsheet.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
No I'm trying to convince you he should be a #1 D within a few years. That's a harder sell.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah...that's a non-seller. ;) He'll never be a true #1 on a contender IMO. I'd love to be wrong.

They need to coach out those Gonchar-esque glaring mistakes.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
http://www.japersrink.com/2016/2/24/11102258/dmitry-orlov-starts-it-alex-ovechkin-ends-it

This is exactly the type of play that I have referenced that makes Orlov so good. Forget the assist, the initial pass he made in the defensive zone that led to the breakout is the difference between being pinned in your own zone and starting an attack the other way.

There is more to being a good defenseman than grit and intangibles. Being able to make good exit passes that lead to possession on the other end of the ice is extremely important, and this is why Corsi isn't just some throwaway stat, it helps measure these small plays that otherwise would not appear on the statsheet.

Bad neutral zone pinch on Seguin goal in Stars game. Bad gap on 2-1 in Stars game on Janmark goal. Bad 3on2 play on Connauton goal in Coyotes game.

Yes he makes good plays with the puck sometimes. Better than any defensemen on the Caps in some areas. But he makes plenty of mistakes that lead to goals as well. Those fundamentals need to be fixed before he can sniff a top pair.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Don't want him back if he goes to WC.

His last run in that meaningless tourney cost the Capitals 1 potential top-pairing D. If he goes, then I hope he enjoys his time in Edmonton or Buffalo. I wouldn't have cared if he would have been good in the Playoffs and truly gave his all to Caps, but he was terrible.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
That Trotz played our 7th D on our main shutdown pair last night over Orlov says a lot about where Orly's game is at.

If we could replace Orpik with another Niskanen/Alzner type, I'd have no problem keeping Schmidt and Orlov next season. We've got Orpik, though. Sign Orlov cheaply enough that he can be shifted to at the TDL and he can stay, otherwise trade him for as high a pick as you can get (third or fourth?). Honestly I don't see why he's worth more to us than Chorney.

I still suspect he should be a forward. He'd have speed and size, a two-way game and he can do his creative but risky offence with two Ds behind him...

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
That Trotz played our 7th D on our main shutdown pair last night over Orlov says a lot about where Orly's game is at.

If we could replace Orpik with another Niskanen/Alzner type, I'd have no problem keeping Schmidt and Orlov next season. We've got Orpik, though. Sign Orlov cheaply enough that he can be shifted to at the TDL and he can stay, otherwise trade him for as high a pick as you can get (third or fourth?). Honestly I don't see why he's worth more to us than Chorney.

I still suspect he should be a forward. He'd have speed and size, a two-way game and he can do his creative but risky offence with two Ds behind him...

He is worth way more than a 3rd or 4th. He is easily valued at a 1st or a good NHL player.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
He is worth way more than a 3rd or 4th. He is easily valued at a 1st or a good NHL player.

A second at the most. He's going to be a project for the foreseeable future, and I doubt he'll find a team with as much patience for him as Trotz has shown.

Ideally we trade him for a promising prospect.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
A second at the most. He's going to be a project for the foreseeable future, and I doubt he'll find a team with as much patience for him as Trotz has shown.

Ideally we trade him for a promising prospect.

He was a 2nd round pick and we developed him into a top 4 scoring D man. Tortz may not like him, but lots of stat fancy people love him (twabby). Don't sell him short bc one bad postseason. If we did that we should also trade Kuz for a couple picks

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
He was a 2nd round pick and we developed him into a top 4 scoring D man. Tortz may not like him, but lots of stat fancy people love him (twabby). Don't sell him short bc one bad postseason. If we did that we should also trade Kuz for a couple picks

I wasn't, I was basing it on a full year of games.

His offensive spark seems to be bound with terrible defensive decision making that costs us as many goals as he contributes, and when it goes away he becomes an average D. Arguably we have three top-4 Ds and three or four top-6/7 Ds - that's why people consider Schmidt and Orlov to be top-4 already.

Can Orlov become a genuine top-4 D? Possibly. But I have my doubts. And I don't see how he'll be a top-4 D on this team, given that he + Carlson or Niskanen are poorly balanced duos. He's also not playing PP or PK. The fact that he was a second round pick, and has some impressive attributes, doesn't necessarily give him a great trade value.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I wasn't, I was basing it on a full year of games.

His offensive spark seems to be bound with terrible defensive decision making that costs us as many goals as he contributes, and when it goes away he becomes an average D. Arguably we have three top-4 Ds and three or four top-6/7 Ds - that's why people consider Schmidt and Orlov to be top-4 already.

Can Orlov become a genuine top-4 D? Possibly. But I have my doubts. And I don't see how he'll be a top-4 D on this team, given that he + Carlson or Niskanen are poorly balanced duos. He's also not playing PP or PK. The fact that he was a second round pick, and has some impressive attributes, doesn't necessarily give him a great trade value.

So you think a team like EDM wouldn't give a package better then a 2nd for him? We gave a 3rd for 7 games of Webber...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad