Confirmed with Link: Dmitri Sokolov Signs ATO with Iowa Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Love it, hopefully he keeps trending the way he has! Also hope this makes Kaprizov excited about the prospect as well. Cool to see Dmitry stay instead of heading to the KHL.

All these Olympic shenanigans have me freaked out, seems Russian players are taking it the hardest as well, rightfully so.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Still could for next season. If it's just an ATO

By that time it's possible we'll know if he's NHL caliber. If he's capable, I can't see Fletcher letting him leave North America without offering him a two-way contract at the very least.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought he couldn't play in the AHL next year? Does this mean that the wild either have to have him up in the big club next year or he goes to some other Pro league besides the AHL?

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Still could for next season. If it's just an ATO

I thought of that after I posted this.. hopefully not

I thought he couldn't play in the AHL next year? Does this mean that the wild either have to have him up in the big club next year or he goes to some other Pro league besides the AHL?

Then putting the two of these together it actually kind of worries me. If he doesnt make the big club then his only option really is to go back to Russia? Or am I mistaken on that?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I thought of that after I posted this.. hopefully not

Then putting the two of these together it actually kind of worries me. If he doesnt make the big club then his only option really is to go back to Russia? Or am I mistaken on that?

I don't know the rules regarding this, but I will say, if he's signing the ATO, it probably means he wants to play in the NHL. Especially considering he left Russia in the first place to play in the CHL. Even if he goes to Russia for a couple years, I'm confident he'll come back afterwards to try making the NHL.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota

I thought so too.

It seems odd that he would be allowed to play on an ATO in the AHL this year if he isn't allowed to play in the AHL next year.

Maybe he is allowed to play in the AHL next year, or maybe he is only allowed to play this year because his CHL season is over.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought that once a junior player had an ATO then they were done with Juniors. I also though Sokolov couldn't play in the AHL next year. That leaves the NHL( unlikely), or the KHL. If the latter, I hope that he;

Signs only a one year contract( unlikely).

Signs a contract for longer, but it has an out clause.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Wow these rules are baffling. I, too, thought he couldn't sniff the AHL for a while. Anywho, good news for all involved. Hopefully he shows something.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I thought that once a junior player had an ATO then they were done with Juniors. I also though Sokolov couldn't play in the AHL next year. That leaves the NHL( unlikely), or the KHL. If the latter, I hope that he;

Signs only a one year contract( unlikely).

Signs a contract for longer, but it has an out clause.

Nope, Junior players can play on a ATO in the AHL and then return to juniors the following season. It's only the NCAA amateur rules that don't allow college players to return once getting paid. Junior players already get paid, so there is no such amateur rules.

The only Rules preventing Junior players from the AHL is age restriction and when Junior player's seasons are still active.

Josh Harding played on an ATO for the Houston Aeros multiple times after his Junior season ended and the Aeros were in the playoffs etc.

This signing has zero impact on what he does NEXT season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ah,thanks for the info. I read other things that described the ATO as something that some players signed when " leaving junior", but that was obviously wrong. Now this move makes more sense. Give Sokolov a little taste of higher level hockey. I'm sure it'll perk him up a bit. I'm guessing he wouldn't mind a break from the fine city of Sudbury.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
StateofCelly;Love it, hopefully he keeps trending the way he has! Also hope this makes Kaprizov excited about the prospect as well. Cool to see Dmitry stay instead of heading to the KHL.

^^X2 the rules make my head spin.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
StateofCelly;Love it, hopefully he keeps trending the way he has! Also hope this makes Kaprizov excited about the prospect as well. Cool to see Dmitry stay instead of heading to the KHL.

^^X2 the rules make my head spin.

He could still go to the KHL next season, this ato has no impact on his choice of juniors or khl next year.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Ah,thanks for the info. I read other things that described the ATO as something that some players signed when " leaving junior", but that was obviously wrong. Now this move makes more sense. Give Sokolov a little taste of higher level hockey. I'm sure it'll perk him up a bit. I'm guessing he wouldn't mind a break from the fine city of Sudbury.

1. Happiest city in Canada
2. Another player's billet told me Sokolov absolutely loves it here lol (he's always at her house hanging with the kid she billets and a few other teammates). Apparently he's super outdoorsy and there is legit no better CHL city to play in if outdoor activities are your thing.

I know you were just kidding around, but I felt like promoting my city so :yo:

In all seriousness though, I'm so happy for him to get this opportunity, would be cool to see him play a few pro games.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
1. Happiest city in Canada
2. Another player's billet told me Sokolov absolutely loves it here lol (he's always at her house hanging with the kid she billets and a few other teammates). Apparently he's super outdoorsy and there is legit no better CHL city to play in if outdoor activities are your thing.

I know you were just kidding around, but I felt like promoting my city so :yo:

In all seriousness though, I'm so happy for him to get this opportunity, would be cool to see him play a few pro games.

I guess they've cleaned it up since I was last there. In the 70's and 80's it was a stinking pit of despair. I absolutely agree that having a good billet situation is super important, as is being happy with the coach, teammates, and management. Surroundings really don't matter all that much...large amount of his time and energy is spent at the rink. Cold shouldn't bother. He's young, and Russian.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I guess they've cleaned it up since I was last there. In the 70's and 80's it was a stinking pit of despair. I absolutely agree that having a good billet situation is super important, as is being happy with the coach, teammates, and management. Surroundings really don't matter all that much...large amount of his time and energy is spent at the rink. Cold shouldn't bother. He's young, and Russian.

lol well it probably reminds him of Siberia a little bit with the isolation lol, but they've definitely built around the dirty ****** areas since then and have incorporated all of the smaller outer towns so most of the city is now beautiful haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad