Prospect Info: Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, - (VHL Rights Traded to Yugra)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm not a fan of this pick, my least favourite pick so far. I don't see his NHL potential, he doesn't have the brain for it and doesn't play physical enough to be a good primary defender.
Honest question…..have you been following this player and scouting him or is this based on second hand info or what you’ve read?

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
i don't really believe they told him to learn french.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Ah yes - I am baffled as to why a guy who is using a translator to speak english is being told to learn french.

Clown move.
Has there ever been even one russian player for the Habs who could speak any french? Like, ever ? I honestly can't think of one, outside of one or two words for the cameras I mean.

Reactions: Fenris

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
i don't really believe they told him to learn french.
My guess is that they probably learned he spoke a little french and told him he should freshen up on it. Because I do agree that it would be odd for the Habs to tell prospects with no french to learn it (especially when English isnt one of your main languages)

Reactions: Fenris

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Has there ever been even one russian player for the Habs who could speak any french? Like, ever ? I honestly can't think of one, outside of one or two words for the cameras I mean.

I don't think so - I mean most of them have had just a passable level of english.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Ah yes - I am baffled as to why a guy who is using a translator to speak english is being told to learn french.

Clown move.
Gee. I wonder why players don't want to play in Montreal? Seriously, have they not thought that this would scare players away? You're there to play hockey and win, not take bloody French lessons!

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
I think it's funny how peoples project themselves into players.... Oh no they told a Russian player that know a little of French that it would be cool if he gets better .. now he is scared to death I am sure... For a lot of European/Eurasian speaking three or four languages is not a big deal.... I know, I know .. how dare someone speak three languages!

EDIT: yeah I lived in Europe for a year and in the countries I was it was not rare to see people speaking 3-4 languages... heck the first waitress i talked to on the first day i was there spoke like 8 languages...

And before jumping on me, I don't think hockey players HAVE TO speak French to play here, but I do not see what's so wrong about telling a player it could be cool to speak French... plus it tells that player they believe in him enough that they picture him here..

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it's funny how peoples project themselves into players.... Oh no they told a Russian player that know a little of French that it would be cool if he gets better .. now he is scared to death I am sure... For a lot of European/Eurasian speaking three or four languages is not a big deal.... I know, I know .. how dare someone speak three languages!

EDIT: yeah I lived in Europe for a year and in the countries I was it was not rare to see people speaking 3-4 languages... heck the first waitress i talked to on the first day i was there spoke like 8 languages...

And before jumping on me, I don't think hockey players HAVE TO speak French to play here, but I do not see what's so wrong about telling a player it could be cool to speak French... plus it tells that player they believe in him enough that they picture him here..

It's a ridiculous thing to tell a player during your first zoom call with them, who still doesn't speak the language of the league, coaching, etc.

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
It's a ridiculous thing to tell a player during your first zoom call with them, who still doesn't speak the language of the league, coaching, etc.
I can understand that .. but we don't know the context of it. I guess my point is that's that's a ridiculous thing to get worked up over... they asked him to speak French... okay maybe they should not have but it's not like it's a huge mistake.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019

Yeah people from the Balkans and around are incredible at learning languages. I knew this women from Moldavia who was 20 and spoke 5 languages fluently

Reactions: Astormynight

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I can understand that .. but we don't know the context of it.
Exactly.. Could have been like a cheeky joke and he just took it serious due to the language barrier.

Commentators say it all the time when we draft someone (in a normal draft year).

"Hope he knows how to speak french!"

Might have been an endorsement of his skill. "Learn how to speak french because you're gonna be here someday" kind of thing.

Highly doubt it's that serious.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can understand that .. but we don't know the context of it. I guess my point is that's that's a ridiculous thing to get worked up over... they asked him to speak French... okay maybe they should not have but it's not like it's a huge mistake.

I don't think it's a huge mistake.. just an annoyance.

Reactions: Astormynight

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You don't know the context that it was said in...

Maybe it's the obligatory "Hey now you're going to have to learn french hahaha" type of thing we routinely see whenever the Habs draft/sign/trade for a player.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Every players on the Canadiens take a few French lessons. They're working in a francophone province so it's pretty useful to know the basics (oui, non, merci, passe moé la puck). It shouldn't be scary, it should be exciting!
"Donnez-moi un jeteur de flamme, sil vous plait."

Everyday French essential for non-Francs right there.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Honest question…..have you been following this player and scouting him or is this based on second hand info or what you’ve read?

Wouldn't say I've been following him, I dont watch MHL/VHL games much (haven't watched any this year). He did play a bit of international if I'm remembering him right, not a whole lot but I believe I've seen at least a few of those.

Usually I watched about 10 minutes of game tape on each of the top 100ish prospects at some point (for those that have it available) but I only managed about 30-40 this year before the draft (and then the rest of the Habs picks after). It's not a lot and it's a flawed assessment but I try to see if it matches the reports on a guy. I'm in a couple discord groups that make those vids quite easy to find so long as you contribute yourself.

So I'm not usually as familiar with players before the draft as a scout would be (I'm slowly realizing that dream will never happen lol) but I've watched limited on him.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad