Discussion about hockey history focusing on the Flyers, Spectrum, etc.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That was an ugly game. Ryan VandenBussche, just promoted from the AHL, scored an early goal, later got into a fight with Dan Kordic.

Baddogg

Aug 21, 2008
Pottstown, PA
Wow, that brought back some great memories! It seems like so long ago but I absolutely cherished those hockey days.

Every time 88 & 10 were on the ice something was happening. It was always intense and exciting!!! Oh, how I miss those days!!!

Thanks for the post!!!

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
PRISM was the only way to see home games here in South Jersey back in the 70's. But hardly any town had PRISM. We either went to Millville or the RNR Bar in Philly at 19th and Passy to watch games. Good times.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I remember him being quite the fighter.

The games were consecutive and there was much trash-talking. The Rangers cut into the Flyers' morning skate in NY by taking their (NY's) team photo. To retaliate, Clarke ordered the Zamboni driver to park the machine on the ice before NY skated in Philly. Lindros called Ulf Samuelsson "Susan Lucci" (the soap opera actress) after the game in NY. The best part of the game shown in the opening post was a crunching check by John LeClair against Samuelsson.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Ken Adelberger :laugh:

Always thought he looked like a molester...

I didn't realize Jim Jackson has been missing sideburns for so long....:sarcasm:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
PRISM was the only way to see home games here in South Jersey back in the 70's. But hardly any town had PRISM. We either went to Millville or the RNR Bar in Philly at 19th and Passy to watch games. Good times.

Back in the early days South Philly didn't even have PRISM IIRC, it was SouthWest Philly that did... South Jersey was spotty and I remember the Fairview section of Camden didn't have it. Being a young family with a couple kids the price of cable was a luxury at times even for those that had it in their area... a luxury that people were willing to go for -- actually the price of tickets to the Spectrum were dirt cheap and the parking was free with guile and a willingness to walk a bit... the snag was scoring the tickets from the STHs who could afford to attend many games and had a long list of buyers for those they sold -- When we traveled to the bars that had it we had to nurse the draughts so we didn't bust the weekly budget.

It was games like that Rangers one along with Islander ones that gave us a chance to steal a NYC station signal -- no Devils back then -- and I remember Daily's across Mount Ephraim Ave from Fairview that had a high antenna and cheap draughts so we went there when NYC teams of multiple sports visited Philly... as well as blacked out National Games that were aired in NYC. I also at times traveled to NE Philly to co-workers/friends homes that were able to pick up New York channels.

Home games unless National ones were few and far between... even on sellouts... we had to be resourceful to be able to see Spectrum Flyers and Sixers games and Vet Phillies games, although the Phillies IIRC aired much more Home Games... Eagles games back then I believe were subject to Blackouts, and were not all sellouts in those days. I was lucky enough to have a couple/few STHs who would sell me unwanted games... and in the late-Seventies/Early-Eighties one of them turned into a partnership that allowed me into... and it eventually morphed into a half season as it has been since the days of that YouTube Rangers game... but by then I had Prism and attended over half the home games anyway, so I got to see all the home games I wanted... Problem solved through the passage of time.

Boy,... did that turn into a ramble or what? haha

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Back in the early days South Philly didn't even have PRISM IIRC, it was SouthWest Philly that did... South Jersey was spotty and I remember the Fairview section of Camden didn't have it. Being a young family with a couple kids the price of cable was a luxury at times even for those that had it in their area... a luxury that people were willing to go for -- actually the price of tickets to the Spectrum were dirt cheap and the parking was free with guile and a willingness to walk a bit... the snag was scoring the tickets from the STHs who could afford to attend many games and had a long list of buyers for those they sold -- When we traveled to the bars that had it we had to nurse the draughts so we didn't bust the weekly budget.

It was games like that Rangers one along with Islander ones that gave us a chance to steal a NYC station signal -- no Devils back then -- and I remember Daily's across Mount Ephraim Ave from Fairview that had a high antenna and cheap draughts so we went there when NYC teams of multiple sports visited Philly... as well as blacked out National Games that were aired in NYC. I also at times traveled to NE Philly to co-workers/friends homes that were able to pick up New York channels.

Home games unless National ones were few and far between... even on sellouts... we had to be resourceful to be able to see Spectrum Flyers and Sixers games and Vet Phillies games, although the Phillies IIRC aired much more Home Games... Eagles games back then I believe were subject to Blackouts, and were not all sellouts in those days. I was lucky enough to have a couple/few STHs who would sell me unwanted games... and in the late-Seventies/Early-Eighties one of them turned into a partnership that allowed me into... and it eventually morphed into a half season as it has been since the days of that YouTube Rangers game... but by then I had Prism and attended over half the home games anyway, so I got to see all the home games I wanted... Problem solved through the passage of time.

Boy,... did that turn into a ramble or what? haha

We used to wait outside the Spectrum and once the puck was dropped the price for tickets dropped to. The scalpers just about gave them away. But I have to admit, the RNR bar was my favorite place to go. We became very tight with the owners and I would take my future wife there on Sundays and grab dinner and watch the games.
I could tell you some stories about that place you would not beleive!! This was mid to late 70's. The town I lived in did not get cable till 1978 and once that came in that was the end of that. I spent many a night just listening to the games on radio and writing down the goals. Did alot of writing with teams like the Seals, Scouts, Barons etc LOL The things we did to watch hockey huh?:laugh:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
We used to wait outside the Spectrum and once the puck was dropped the price for tickets dropped to. The scalpers just about gave them away. But I have to admit, the RNR bar was my favorite place to go. We became very tight with the owners and I would take my future wife there on Sundays and grab dinner and watch the games.
I could tell you some stories about that place you would not beleive!! This was mid to late 70's. The town I lived in did not get cable till 1978 and once that came in that was the end of that. I spent many a night just listening to the games on radio and writing down the goals. Did alot of writing with teams like the Seals, Scouts, Barons etc LOL The things we did to watch hockey huh?:laugh:

The real difficult season was the one where Philly had both the Flyers and the new WHA Blazers and Bernie -- oh how I hated when he walked out on them as the Playoffs began... but was overjoyed when the Flyers got his rights back -- Trying to listen or watch both that season was insane. LOL

IIRC though it was the next season were South Jersey got the relocated New York Golden Blades and housed them for the last half of the season at the old 'Ice House" across Brace(?) Road from Kominsky's... Had wire fencing instead of glass, which caused excitement with fast-arsed crazy caroms. Tickets were easy to get and I Believe the crowds were decent, but the venue was too small to hold enough. Some South Jersey hockey zanies adopted them and I for one attended a few games in their short time here... I believe Harry Howell was the player coach and the name they adopted was 'The Jersey Knights'... which was chosen because when they moved ninety miles south to the area, the only place with enough uniforms on hand had ones with Chess Piece Knights on them... so they bought them and just named the team to fit the jerseys. :laugh: I recall that some players skated on ice still with skates that had golden tinted blades... I forget where they relocated to after they bolted Cherry Hill, but I do remember that the Blazers relocated to Vancouver -- without Bernie -- after the single season at Philadelphia Convention Hall... Should have taken the hint when before they took their first shift at the Hall, the ice cracked and they had to send the crowd home and postpone their first Opening Night.

Yeah... early Philadelphia/South Jersey hockey times were insane... I'm happy to have a few of us old-timers around here to pass down the tales. :naughty:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Bill Meltzer has a good column regarding Hextall's goal (25 years ago): The finish of the game through PRISM's broadcast with Gene Hart:

A little over six months later, when the Bruins paid a regular season visit to Philadelphia, Hextall finally pulled off the long-awaited feat. He corralled the puck near his own net, and saw a clear shooting path down the ice. Hextall measured his aim momentarily and fired a dart that went straight down the ice into the center of the vacated net.

FLYERS BROADCAST: GENE HART'S CALL OF HEXTALL GOAL

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...niversaries-Phantoms-and-Titans-Lose/45/47854

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
IIRC though it was the next season were South Jersey got the relocated New York Golden Blades and housed them for the last half of the season at the old 'Ice House" across Brace(?) Road from Kominsky's...

The rink was called the Centrum. There is still a strip mall there called "Centrum Shoppes" or something like that.

And good ole Kaminskis is still there. Used to run into a ton of Flyers there on off days after practices when they used to practice at the old Colesium in Voorhees or late night after home games.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Since there is a void in current play, a couple of events that took place on December 11 in team history:

The comeback against Carolina in 2008:

And Tom Bladon's remarkable performance in 1977:

TomBladonRecord.jpg

On this date in 1977, Flyers defenseman Tom Bladon sets an NHL record for points by a defenseman (8) in one game with four goals and four assists in an 11-1 Flyers victory over the Cleveland Barons at the Spectrum.

Bladon was drafted by the Flyers in the second round (23rd overall) in the 1972 NHL Amateur Draft. He went on to record 67 goals and 163 assists for 230 points including 281 penalty minutes in six seasons with the Flyers.

He was a member of both Stanley Cup Championship teams (1974 & 1975) and added an additional 32 points (8G-24A) in 78 Stanley Cup Playoff games. His 32 points rank tied for fifth in Flyers history among defensemen in playoff points.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=647461

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The rink was called the Centrum. There is still a strip mall there called "Centrum Shoppes" or something like that.

And good ole Kaminskis is still there. Used to run into a ton of Flyers there on off days after practices when they used to practice at the old Colesium in Voorhees or late night after home games.

IIRC 'Centrum' was a name given a while after it was in operation to play off the popular 'Spectrum' while the area was Flyers crazy... not sure the timeframe... The 'Ice House' may have been a nickname though... I believe when the Eastern League(?) played there with the old Jersey Devils(?) it was yet to be redubbed 'Centrum'... Yes, when they finally tore down the arena the Shoppes carried on the name.

Kaminski's, under the old management, when it was a local pub and not the current 'sports bar', was indeed a watering hole for Flyers -- few South Jersey bars didn't have Flyers/Alumni grace the with their presence actually -- four great memories I personally have from there was; 1) GM Clarke, Coach Murray(IIRC) and the rest of the off-ice brain trust sitting at a table talking about the 1994 LockOut, which was in progress over a few/several pints... 2) Us sitting by the back entrance after a Flyers game and seeing a dapper Dave Brown dressed to the nines in a three piece pinstripe suit strutting in and acknowledging a "Hey Dave" greeting with a raised arm and grin... 3) Orest Kinderchuck chatting for what seemed like forever with us about hockey and the Flyers and telling us that he would love playing for Mike Keenan and would not mind the hard-arse tactics understanding that following him could get them the Cup... and 4) bittersweet... sitting alone one midweek night seeing across the bar current Flyer, Brian Propp, chatting with visiting player and former Flyer, Brad McCrimmon, who was in town and spending time with 'Propper'... Loved 'Beast'... so sad he was on that plane. :cry:

I've run into so many Flyers in South Jersey... mostly in clubs and bars like, 'My Friends', The Coastline, Rexy's, Coral Reef, etc. when I used to club... and now at various places like Starbucks, Buca Di Beppo (when it was still in Cherry Hill) and in our regular Dry Island SJ lives. ;) ... and I have still run into a few at P.J. Whelihan's and The Pour House on the few occasions I stop in for a Micro... They always were, and still are a very sociable bunch.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Since there is a void in current play, a couple of events that took place on December 11 in team history:

The comeback against Carolina in 2008:

What a game that was... I usually attend with my son -- like 99% of the time -- but he was tied up with work duties he couldn't avoid and I was with the wife who only attends in a pinch and knows nothing about sports beyond chit-chat things she hears on the regular radio/TV stations... I felt so bad my son missed the game and I knew she really wasn't appreciating what was happening... When the Third Period started I told her it was a lost cause... as the period progressed the hope built and the dreams of they can do it was in the back of my mind... when they got to the proximity goal it was a blast. I will never forget the game... one of my most memorable Regular Season games over the past five decades.

My son was with me at the Winnipeg game a couple seasons back where they came back like that only to blow what would have been a great comeback win... My son is a jinx. :laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The real difficult season was the one where Philly had both the Flyers and the new WHA Blazers and Bernie -- oh how I hated when he walked out on them as the Playoffs began... but was overjoyed when the Flyers got his rights back -- Trying to listen or watch both that season was insane. LOL

IIRC though it was the next season were South Jersey got the relocated New York Golden Blades and housed them for the last half of the season at the old 'Ice House" across Brace(?) Road from Kominsky's... Had wire fencing instead of glass, which caused excitement with fast-arsed crazy caroms. Tickets were easy to get and I Believe the crowds were decent, but the venue was too small to hold enough. Some South Jersey hockey zanies adopted them and I for one attended a few games in their short time here... I believe Harry Howell was the player coach and the name they adopted was 'The Jersey Knights'... which was chosen because when they moved ninety miles south to the area, the only place with enough uniforms on hand had ones with Chess Piece Knights on them... so they bought them and just named the team to fit the jerseys. :laugh: I recall that some players skated on ice still with skates that had golden tinted blades... I forget where they relocated to after they bolted Cherry Hill, but I do remember that the Blazers relocated to Vancouver -- without Bernie -- after the single season at Philadelphia Convention Hall... Should have taken the hint when before they took their first shift at the Hall, the ice cracked and they had to send the crowd home and postpone their first Opening Night.

The NY/NJ WHA team relocated to San Diego and became the Mariners. In Jersey, the Cherry Hill Arena later became the Centrum after the team relocated. There are some interesting tales in the couple or so books published on the WHA.

The current home of the AHL Sharks in Worcester, Mass. was originally known as the Worcester Centrum in the early 1980s and run by Spectacor which ran the Spectrum, a building in Lakeland, Florida and other facilities, too. I forget the current name of the Worcester facility but it is no longer the Centrum.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The NY/NJ WHA team relocated to San Diego and became the Mariners. In Jersey, the Cherry Hill Arena later became the Centrum after the team relocated. There are some interesting tales in the couple or so books published on the WHA.

The current home of the AHL Sharks in Worcester, Mass. was originally known as the Worcester Centrum in the early 1980s and run by Spectacor which ran the Spectrum, a building in Lakeland, Florida and other facilities, too. I forget the current name of the Worcester facility but it is no longer the Centrum.

The cursed 'Naming Rights' where millions of dollars are spend for long periods of time IMO has killed the ability to be creative with Venue Names... as well as establish long-term places on note... The Spectrum lived for decades and everybody around the World knew it... Rocky I was there for God's sake... There were many; the Aud, the Coliseum, the Forum... Boston Garden!!!!... Now we have to fight, threaten and cajole to have Lincoln Financial allow us to call their Field 'The Linc'... It would nice to incorporate a nickname with a sponsor such as 'Wachovia Spectrum' which could cleanly be morphed into, 'Wells Fargo Spectrum', which could serve well for all concerned and do the job BUT... Corporate Sponsors spend millions of dollars and don't want people to say Spectrum, as we all know we will... they demand for their money that their trade name is said every time. Baltimore got around it a bit by calling it 'Oriole Park at Camden Yards'... but that to me is different... It was suggested to call the Phillies park, 'Ashburn Field at Citizens Park'... but who here would call it that and not Ashburn Field... or simple the Ash, or Ashcan, or something like that?

To me the most insane thing involving Corporate Sponsors... and IMO bordering on a real crime of esthetics... was 'The SubWay Series'; WTF?!?!?! It took me a while to understand that was not a tourney/series involving local teams... But of course Subway was the corporation shelling out the buck to have their brand showcased.

... Yo, Fehr and Bettman... see what you have brought me to... we need real NHL hockey games to talk about. :cry: ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad