OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Cinco

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Balogun joined Monaco in a deal worth up to €40 million ($42m) last summer and has made a fast start, scoring in three of his first five games, despite two rare penalty misses against Nice, with his team sitting top of Ligue 1.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe just me but I'd have kept Balogun over Nketia
I would have given Nketia a season out on loan, ideally with an EPL team where he would be a regular playing time, and given Balogun a season as Jesus’s backup and then reassessed after the season.

Unless they needed the money as Balogun was going to bring in a reasonable amount more based on his successful season in France.

Reactions: g00n

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I have to hand it to him, Berhalter is nothing if not consistent. US fell 3-1 to Germany today and sat back in their Berhalter shell in the second half after Pulisic put them up 1-0 with a spectacular goal.

Under Berhalter the US is 4-4-5 against the FIFA top 20 teams and three of those wins are against Mexico who are a shell of what they used to be. Remove the three wins vs Mexico and he has one win in 10 tries against actual soccer nations.

So glad we brought this guy back to take us to the next level as we go to Copa America next summer and the World Cup in 2026.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I have to hand it to him, Berhalter is nothing if not consistent. US fell 3-1 to Germany today and sat back in their Berhalter shell in the second half after Pulisic put them up 1-0 with a spectacular goal.

Under Berhalter the US is 4-4-5 against the FIFA top 20 teams and three of those wins are against Mexico who are a shell of what they used to be. Remove the three wins vs Mexico and he has one win in 10 tries against actual soccer nations.

So glad we brought this guy back to take us to the next level as we go to Copa America next summer and the World Cup in 2026.
It’s a friendly, who really gives a shit? If it isn’t a competitive match nobody cares.

The US is a 3rd rate soccer nation. Even when a first rate team is going through a bad spell every guy in their squad is a solid regular in a first rate league. For us it is hit or miss if our guys are playing regularly in a good league or are playing in a 2nd rate or even 3rd rate such as MLS.

Why are you expecting a 3rd rate nation to perform in a better than .500 manner against the better teams in the world?

Your very unrealistic expectations for the US team baffles me honestly. I see 5 guys in our starting lineup who play in a big 5 league and have started at least half their club’s games to start the season, and one of them is Turner who has not been in any way impressive for Forrest. But for some reason they are supposed to go out and beat Germany in your opinion, why exactly?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Sep 19, 2008
Germany was f***ing terrible losing to them is bad. spare me the excuse that nagelsmann was good or that they're more talented.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Germany was f***ing terrible losing to them is bad. spare me the excuse that nagelsmann was good or that they're more talented.
I didn’t watch the meaningless friendly so have no idea how either team looked. But statistically Germany had 60% possession, took 19 shots and got 7 of them on goal vs the US’s 6 shots with 3 on goal. The US’s 7 to 4 corners advantage might indicate a decent counter attacking game also for them. But the biggest stat to me is the US only committed 3 fouls the entire game. That is an absurdly low number that you would never see in a competitive game and screams ‘we really don’t care’ to me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I didn’t watch the meaningless friendly so have no idea how either team looked. But statistically Germany had 60% possession, took 19 shots and got 7 of them on goal vs the US’s 6 shots with 3 on goal. The US’s 7 to 4 corners advantage might indicate a decent counter attacking game also for them. But the biggest stat to me is the US only committed 3 fouls the entire game. That is an absurdly low number that you would never see in a competitive game and screams ‘we really don’t care’ to me.

Probably. Why even play friendlie$? It'$ a complete my$tery.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It’s a friendly, who really gives a shit? If it isn’t a competitive match nobody cares.

The US is a 3rd rate soccer nation. Even when a first rate team is going through a bad spell every guy in their squad is a solid regular in a first rate league. For us it is hit or miss if our guys are playing regularly in a good league or are playing in a 2nd rate or even 3rd rate such as MLS.

Why are you expecting a 3rd rate nation to perform in a better than .500 manner against the better teams in the world?

Your very unrealistic expectations for the US team baffles me honestly. I see 5 guys in our starting lineup who play in a big 5 league and have started at least half their club’s games to start the season, and one of them is Turner who has not been in any way impressive for Forrest. But for some reason they are supposed to go out and beat Germany in your opinion, why exactly?
So much garbage in one post… where to begin? Or we can not since you didn’t watch it and most of this post is your standard horseshit about the national team.

But just to rapid fire some of your more blatantly incorrect points, they’re not .500 against competitive countries — they are 1-10 under GB sans Mexico. Germany is not a powerhouse and they are not one of the best teams in the world — they have two wins in their last eight international matches and didn’t get out of the group stage in the last World Cup. Germany is 15th in FIFA rankings and the US is 11th.

Carry on with your astute observations.

• Haha
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
So much garbage in one post… where to begin? Or we can not since you didn’t watch it and most of this post is your standard horseshit about the national team.

But just to rapid fire some of your more blatantly incorrect points, they’re not .500 against competitive countries — they are 1-10 under GB sans Mexico. Germany is not a powerhouse and they are not one of the best teams in the world — they have two wins in their last eight international matches and didn’t get out of the group stage in the last World Cup. Germany is 15th in FIFA rankings and the US is 11th.

Carry on with your astute observations.
Nothing like an appeal to the authority of the FIFA world rankings… :thumbu:

Man for man, how many US players are making a best 11 out of the 22 who started the match? 2 maybe 3.

So if you believe the team with significantly less talent should win based on those rankings that everyone knows are incredibly flawed I don’t know what to tell you.

Flick got canned because he wasn’t getting results with a player pool clearly capable of getting way better results. Now it is Nagelsmann’s turn. That doesn’t change the considerable talent gap these two nations are operating under.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nothing like an appeal to the authority of the FIFA world rankings… :thumbu:

Man for man, how many US players are making a best 11 out of the 22 who started the match? 2 maybe 3.

So if you believe the team with significantly less talent should win based on those rankings that everyone knows are incredibly flawed I don’t know what to tell you.

Flick got canned because he wasn’t getting results with a player pool clearly capable of getting way better results. Now it is Nagelsmann’s turn. That doesn’t change the considerable talent gap these two nations are operating under.
Nothing like commenting on a game you didn’t watch and appealing to your own set of measurement criteria to fit your narrative :thumbu:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Nothing like commenting on a game you didn’t watch and appealing to your own set of measurement criteria to fit your narrative :thumbu:
Yeah the crazy ‘the vastly more talented team should win’ criteria. Nobody subscribes to that line of thinking…:rolleyes:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You're right, the more talented teams always win in sports. Good call.
I said ‘should’ win and when the talent gap is what it was in this case it isn’t hard to stand by.

But you keep with your exceedingly unrealistic expectations for team USA. I hope it continues to bring you nothing but joy.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I said ‘should’ win and when the talent gap is what it was in this case it isn’t hard to stand by.

But you keep with your exceedingly unrealistic expectations for team USA. I hope it continues to bring you nothing but joy.
Yes, my exceedingly unrealistic expectations of wanting the current coach to be as good or better than the last two coaches, who did more with less. My unrealistic expectations of wanting to see a coach selected based off on field results and not who is brother is. My unrealistic expectations of having a coach who behaves like an adult and doesn’t need intermediaries to talk to a teenager.

I know, those expectations are a bit high and I should be more like you and say every friendly is a joke and the team sucks so why bother and then talk down to people who want to see the team put its best foot forward before it hosts the World Cup in a few years. That sounds much more fun :thumbu:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Every friendly IS a joke….and a simple analysis of each roster shows who was the more talented side, to which the match stats seem to support…

but hey I confess I didn’t watch either…..(I don’t watch BS friendlies very often)….so I may be disqualified from this debate lol….;)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Every friendly IS a joke….and a simple analysis of each roster shows who was the more talented side, to which the match stats seem to support…

but hey I confess I didn’t watch either…..(I don’t watch BS friendlies very often)….so I may be disqualified from this debate lol….;)
It's not useful if you play teams like Uzbekistan and Northern Ireland but playing Germany is an opportunity to see how you measure against a good opponent. It's a dress rehearsal before they try and qualify for Copa America next summer. A good chunk of the players will be roster hopefuls for Copa America in 2024 and the World Cup in 2026. If they treated it like a joke then that's on the players and the coaches. I wouldn't call any time you wear your nation's crest on your shirt a joke but maybe that's just me. It is not the same as Arsenal vs Real Madrid at Fedex Field on a Saturday afternoon in July.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It's not useful if you play teams like Uzbekistan and Northern Ireland but playing Germany is an opportunity to see how you measure against a good opponent. It's a dress rehearsal before they try and qualify for Copa America next summer. A good chunk of the players will be roster hopefuls for Copa America in 2024 and the World Cup in 2026. If they treated it like a joke then that's on the players and the coaches. I wouldn't call any time you wear your nation's crest on your shirt a joke but maybe that's just me. It is not the same as Arsenal vs Real Madrid at Fedex Field on a Saturday afternoon in July.
Aren’t we automatically in the next Copa America since we are hosts?

Playing competitive matches against South American teams should be very helpful in assessing our progress. Only ever playing competitive matches against the usual Concacaf subjects, for the most part, doesn’t serve us well IMO.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Aren’t we automatically in the next Copa America since we are hosts?

Playing competitive matches against South American teams should be very helpful in assessing our progress. Only ever playing competitive matches against the usual Concacaf subjects, for the most part, doesn’t serve us well IMO.
I mean, it should be automatic but you never know… won’t take anything for granted after 2018. CONCACAF gets six teams and it’s dependent on how teams perform in Nations League tournament. The US won the last Nations League trophy so you’d hope they won’t need to sweat qualification given the level of competition they’ll face. Would be amazing to see them play Argentina or Brazil in a competitive match.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, my exceedingly unrealistic expectations of wanting the current coach to be as good or better than the last two coaches, who did more with less.
Didn’t we miss the previous World Cup? And yes in 2014 we got out of a tougher group, but we didn’t go any further than this one, and the only reason we weren’t embarrassed by Belgium was Howard’s unbelievable performance in goal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Didn’t we miss the previous World Cup? And yes in 2014 we got out of a tougher group, but we didn’t go any further than this one, and the only reason we weren’t embarrassed by Belgium was Howard’s unbelievable performance in goal.
Howard was spectacular but Wondo missed a sitter where they would have won in regulation. And they were thisclose to sending that game against Belgium to PKs if not for a great save on a set piece at the end. Those teams also had a sense of punching above their weight class. They were terrific on set pieces and played with intensity. They had an identity.

And yep, they did miss the World Cup and it was terrible. No excuses there. That said, the 2018 cycle was a transitionary time for the USMNT. Donovan was done, Dempsey was almost done, Michael Bradley was declining. They were starting guys like Paul Arriola and Darlington Nagbe. Pulisic was a kid and just getting started and most of the holdovers were on their last legs. It was kind of a dead zone for US Soccer but youth and talent are two things this squad has in spades over that squad and I want to see a coach who can push the envelope a bit with this new generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad