Speculation: Dion Phaneuf

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
That's your key phrase. It's highly possible he gets pushed out, the reality is no one has pushed him out of his spot yet so there's no point in dealing him for something that may happen(and if it doesn't happen it makes us worse).

Yup.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That's your key phrase. It's highly possible he gets pushed out, the reality is no one has pushed him out of his spot yet so there's no point in dealing him for something that may happen(and if it doesn't happen it makes us worse).
Well my thought is I don't think Killorn is core. I'm not saying he stinks Killorn is a good hockey player. I'm just saying in are system others are better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But facts are we don't know ? Maybe carle and Killorn get moved maybe they retain some dion money. I still feel like yzerman is still going to make moves one or two I'd guess for who I don't know.

Or maybe Yzerman trades Stamkos for Marleau and Thornton. Or maybe we trade Hedman for Ekblad. Or maybe he trades Drouin for Kyle Quincey. Maybe he brings Pat Stefan and Gilbert Brule out of retirement.

Of course we don't know. Anything is possible. But focusing in on a Dion-for-Carle type swap is like throwing a dart at a wall and seeing where it lands. Trying to make it make sense doesn't actually make it make sense. For either team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well my thought is I don't think Killorn is core. I'm not saying he stinks Killorn is a good hockey player. I'm just saying in are system others are better.

Depends on the definition of the word core. But still, you don't trade a guy like Killorn just to trade him. He had an off year, but he still put up 40 points and he's okay defensively. You might be surprised at how few prospects, even good ones, turn into that.

If a trade were to make sense, then fine. But those are pretty rare too. And the Dion deal makes no sense whatsoever, even if Toronto were to retain some money. We just signed Callahan to an uncomfortably long contract. Phaneuf is worth that money (or something close to it) to Toronto, but he probably wouldn't be worth that here.

There's also an extra incentive for us to make sure Toronto stays in cap trouble. It's hard for them to improve with Dion's contract on the books, which is the entire reason they'd like to move it. Not only because they're in our division, but also because I'd rather not have them lingering in the background of Stamkos negotiations.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As of right now with are roster are we a cup contender this year ?

Nope. But we probably will be next year and for many years after that. Wouldn't want to screw with that for the sake of this year, where we should be a solid darkhorse regardless.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Cup contender? Probably not. Dark horse? Yes.

I don't see the rush. It's not as if we have an aging core and our window is closing. Our window is just opening. No need to start selling away core pieces for big pieces just because. Everyone chill out and see how our roster does this year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's a top 6 on most teams in the league, the kids pushed him out.

Considering he was traded straight up for Sam Gagner, I don't know if I agree with this. He may play on the top 6 for a lot of teams, but that's due to his lack of utility, not his ability.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's a top 6 on most teams in the league, the kids pushed him out.

I don't really buy that. I've been watching hockey for a long time and I don't remember ever being as frustrated with a player as I was with Teddy Purcell this season. It wasn't like he was just struggling to score -- that happens. It was more like he was trying to do just barely enough to get by every shift.

So I mean, yeah, the kids pushed him out because most of them played well. But Teddy was horrible.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Contender for the Prince of Wales Trophy on paper, but St.Louis/Chicago/LA/Anaheim would slaughter us in the finals. We are one long heartbreaking playoff run away from being cup contenders.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
There are what 30 teams contending for the cup. Only one wins it. even if you have the best team you could still get beaten out. Ok we all know this hahaha.

But saying this The lightning are a super cup contender. So whatever the missing pieces are stevie y is going to get it done. There is still one or two real NICE moves for Stevie to do yet. he is very patient, just watch and see he will get it done. He is not going to wait a whole year to make a run for the cup. His cupboard is maxed out right now and has oddles of trade bait. (why wait until next year)?

Also killorn is a fine player under a fine contract but if he has to be part of a deal to get a top 2 defenseman I'm all in with that. Also it won't take more than a couple of kids to pull through and he will be out the door next year. (and that will happen so please do not fall in love with Killorn he will be gone) His talent is at best a 3rd liner and easily replaceable. So just like Downing when we had him they both had/have value so if someone likes Killorn than put him in a deal and get a top defenseman.

Or are we set with our top two?

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Considering he was traded straight up for Sam Gagner, I don't know if I agree with this. He may play on the top 6 for a lot of teams, but that's due to his lack of utility, not his ability.

I don't really buy that. I've been watching hockey for a long time and I don't remember ever being as frustrated with a player as I was with Teddy Purcell this season. It wasn't like he was just struggling to score -- that happens. It was more like he was trying to do just barely enough to get by every shift.

So I mean, yeah, the kids pushed him out because most of them played well. But Teddy was horrible.

I understand the frustrations, but I'd happily take last years crappy version of him on our roster anywhere from 2005-2012. .5 ppg players play top 6 minutes, even ridiculously inconsistent ones like Purcell.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Nope. But we probably will be next year and for many years after that. Wouldn't want to screw with that for the sake of this year, where we should be a solid darkhorse regardless.

Your right but if a decent trade pops up you don't think yzerman explores it ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
There are what 30 teams contending for the cup. Only one wins it. even if you have the best team you could still get beaten out. Ok we all know this hahaha.

But saying this The lightning are a super cup contender. So whatever the missing pieces are stevie y is going to get it done. There is still one or two real NICE moves for Stevie to do yet. he is very patient, just watch and see he will get it done. He is not going to wait a whole year to make a run for the cup. His cupboard is maxed out right now and has oddles of trade bait. (why wait until next year)?

Also killorn is a fine player under a fine contract but if he has to be part of a deal to get a top 2 defenseman I'm all in with that. Also it won't take more than a couple of kids to pull through and he will be out the door next year. (and that will happen so please do not fall in love with Killorn he will be gone) His talent is at best a 3rd liner and easily replaceable. So just like Downing when we had him they both had/have value so if someone likes Killorn than put him in a deal and get a top defenseman.

Or are we set with our top two?

100 percent agree here

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I've never really understood the Killorn love myself. He's good, but replaceable. That being said... our D is pretty much set. How can you look at those pairings and not like them? That is a solid corps. How can you look at our top... well... 12?! and not like it? We are solid, all throughout the lineup. Who would you bring in? Not Dion Phaneuf in the real world, I can tell you that much. So, let's just say we brought Phaneuf in.

Hedman - Phaneuf
Garrison - Stralman
Carle - Brewer

A fine lineup. But paying your bottom pairing defensemen 5.5 million dollars, and 3.9 million dollars respectively, is not smart. This might work in NHL 14, but not the real world. Furthermore, where does that leave Gudas? Barberio? Sustr? Or are we trading them with the other half of the roster that we "need" Phaneuf for?

In short, this team can hang as is. We don't need Phaneuf for Christ's sake.

Please. God. No. Insert Steve Carrell yelling gif.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I've never really understood the Killorn love myself. He's good, but replaceable. That being said... our D is pretty much set. How can you look at those pairings and not like them? That is a solid corps. How can you look at our top... well... 12?! and not like it? We are solid, all throughout the lineup. Who would you bring in? Not Dion Phaneuf in the real world, I can tell you that much. So, let's just say we brought Phaneuf in.

Hedman - Phaneuf
Garrison - Stralman
Carle - Brewer

A fine lineup. But paying your bottom pairing defensemen 5.5 million dollars, and 3.9 million dollars respectively, is not smart. This might work in NHL 14, but not the real world. Furthermore, where does that leave Gudas? Barberio? Sustr? Or are we trading them with the other half of the roster that we "need" Phaneuf for?

In short, this team can hang as is. We don't need Phaneuf for Christ's sake.

Please. God. No. Insert Steve Carrell yelling gif.
I can understand not getting dion! Big bad contract no problem. But I agree I don't get the Alex Killorn love ? He can be replaced in our system pretty easy. I think he is a 3rd line guy not top six.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can understand not getting dion! Big bad contract no problem. But I agree I don't get the Alex Killorn love ? He can be replaced in our system pretty easy. I think he is a 3rd line guy not top six.

I don't think anyone's calling Killorn untouchable. But it's not like he's valuable enough to be the centerpiece in a deal for Marleau or Josi. If the right deal came along to move him, of course we'd move him. But there's no point in trading him just to trade him. He alone wouldn't bring us an upgrade over anything we currently have.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Killer is a great complimentary winger. You need them, but they are like the non skill positions in football, totally replaceable. Its the reason a lot of people were against paying Callahan so much

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I thought Killorn was awesome in the playoff series last season. I really like him and hope we can keep him and have him grow with this team. I like our teams as it is. Sure we need size at the moment but Having Boyle and then Erne soon will help.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Please don't get me wrong. Killorn is not a star and he is not untouchable, but you don't just throw away .5 PPG players (exactly 60 points in exactly 120 games) who can also play a physical game and are solid in the defensive zone. Guys like Killorn don't grow on trees and we shouldn't just throw him out as scraps in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad