Dilemma in Orlando

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Awesome clip!

I was on the ice for one of these promos. Not for a hundred grand, but for a car.

I was wide right for the car. Got booed lustily by the people I came with. I deserved it:laugh:

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Those promotions are usually insured.. And the policies aren't cheap..

If you wanted to have 3 people shoot for a car, it might cost you like $1000-$1500 for the policy.. then there are rules, such as the promo must be recorded, the participant can't be of a certain formal skill level (can't have played pro hockey or whatever).. and some others..

The Solar Bears will now use this footage in their promotional activities.. so even if they didn't insure the contest, they'll get some value for their money..

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The Royals did a promotion several years ago where fans were picked from a hat, matched to a player randomly, and then if a player got a hat trick in the game the fan got a big cash payout. (St Hat-tricks Day) The first time they did it they didn't buy the insurance. Royals were up by 4 or 5 goals in the third, three guys had two goals each, and the coach put them on a line together, playing every other shift. The GM was dying. One of the players ended up scoring and the team had to pay out the whole prize. They still do the promotion, but now they buy the insurance. Had another winner a couple years ago.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Those promotions are usually insured.. And the policies aren't cheap..

If you wanted to have 3 people shoot for a car, it might cost you like $1000-$1500 for the policy.. then there are rules, such as the promo must be recorded, the participant can't be of a certain formal skill level (can't have played pro hockey or whatever).. and some others..

The Solar Bears will now use this footage in their promotional activities.. so even if they didn't insure the contest, they'll get some value for their money..

And the cost of that insurance was likely offset by a sponsor. This likely cost the Solar Bears little or nothing in actual dollars.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The Royals did a promotion several years ago where fans were picked from a hat, matched to a player randomly, and then if a player got a hat trick in the game the fan got a big cash payout. (St Hat-tricks Day) The first time they did it they didn't buy the insurance. Royals were up by 4 or 5 goals in the third, three guys had two goals each, and the coach put them on a line together, playing every other shift. The GM was dying. One of the players ended up scoring and the team had to pay out the whole prize. They still do the promotion, but now they buy the insurance. Had another winner a couple years ago.

Was this under the great Gordon Kaye, now the CEO of USA Table Tennis?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It was. Karl Taylor was the coach, and Ned Lukacevic had the hat trick. Gordon took a gamble and it didn't pay off. Karl and Ned thought it was pretty funny.

I guess it was a gamble, I've never took the time to do the math but I'm gunna guess a 3 goal game throughout a league season happens around or under 10 times. It has to be around 10-15% at the most.

Lord Moriarty007

Lets go Avs & Bolts!
May 1, 2013
Denver, CO/Orlando,FL
No one will believe me but I was at the game. I'm an usher for the Amway Center in Florida. All the money from the partners in the spin to win completion paid for the winner. Also the Solar Bears won the game with 1 second left in OT.

Last edited:

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Per the ECHL website I counted 51 this season. But only 5 players with more than 1. Very surprising.
But a 5% chance of a hat trick at any particular game, multiplied by the odds of the name out of the hat being that guy? Pretty long.
Now the chance of someone making that shot in Orlando? Even longer. That's why an insurance company was willing to take that bet.
Even after paying out the money, the free advertising exposure probably more than makes up for it.
No dilemma.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Per the ECHL website I counted 51 this season. But only 5 players with more than 1. Very surprising.
But a 5% chance of a hat trick at any particular game, multiplied by the odds of the name out of the hat being that guy? Pretty long.
Now the chance of someone making that shot in Orlando? Even longer. That's why an insurance company was willing to take that bet.
Even after paying out the money, the free advertising exposure probably more than makes up for it.
No dilemma.

Skill alone...or lack there of makes that shot longer odds. The guy probably didn't even know how to ice skate to begin with lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad