Did you think Mackinnon’s AAV on his new contract was above or below 12.6 AAV?

Did you think Mackinnon’s new contract AAV was above or below 12.6 mil before it was announced

• Total voters

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
I thought it will be exactly 12,6m which doubles his salary and makes him highest paid player in the league but if he wanted more he would've got it

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
MacKinnon stated he would take a discount... So, getting the biggest contract EVER in NHL is one? Well, have fun signing Newhook, Toews to extensions.
Also, theese MacKinnons "I was the most underpaid in NHL" can also be taken with a grain of salt. Having the benefit playing with Rantanen and Landeskog for sure bumped his stats. He also didnt perform this well when signed his last one. Barkov was 5.9M and took 10M. I`d like to see how a Landeskog-Barkov-Rantanen line would do. Skating isnt everything.

VS.

Then we could go to the D:s behind them...

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's not a discount and that's what MacKinnon claimed was going to happen. He did deserve to get paid though even if it sounds somewhat strange that the Avs 2nd best player makes the most bank in the league.

Reactions: Regal

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It’s clear to me, anytime I hear a hockey player claim they will leave money on the table on their next contract I’ll assume they are lieing

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't get why people are confused by him being the highest paid player in the league 5 years after McDavid got his contract. He's been a top player for years now and is being paid accordingly. Likewise, if McDavid were renewing his contract next summer he'd get paid even more. Are you guys also surprised to find out that 3rd line plugs are making better money than Gretzky? Wages increase with time, it's been 5 years... Matthews will probably get paid even more.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's not a discount and that's what MacKinnon claimed was going to happen. He did deserve to get paid though even if it sounds somewhat strange that the Avs 2nd best player makes the most bank in the league.

1. He shouldn't have made the claim he would sign at discount or team friendly deal. Was stupid to talk about it as it was bound to look bad when he signed. 12.6 is a discount if you consider what he could get on the open market, but most will just see the super high AAV and think his claim a lie. It was a stupid thing to say on his part.

2. Makar was RFA. Mack UFA. That's a world of difference, so not surprising at all he's paid more.

I voted option 2. If you had asked me to guess his AAV, good chance I would have guessed 12.6 exactly, or right around there. He should have ended up highest paid in league (McDavid's contract is years ago, market prices go up each year) but I didn't think he'd be too greedy with Avs and ask for 13 or 14. So 12.6 seems perfect.

Reactions: Jeina

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I thought he'd get less, considering those comments he made a couple of years back about taking less to win more.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Where's the option to say "This is exactly what you expected Mackinnon to sign for"

And btw, this is absolutely a discount from what he could have gotten from Colorado, and especially what he would have gotten on the open market.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I predicted "about McDavid's salary" so I guess technically that's below what he got, but then again I said "about" so it covered give or take $500k either way.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I was pretty confident the number was going to start with a 12. Whatever the K's were, didn't really matter to me.

I'm happy with the deal.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I thought with the talk it might be a discount that it’d end up in the 11.5-12 range. It was a little higher than I assumed, but still a fair enough deal and less than he could have made

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
MacKinnon stated he would take a discount... So, getting the biggest contract EVER in NHL is one? Well, have fun signing Newhook, Toews to extensions.
Also, theese MacKinnons "I was the most underpaid in NHL" can also be taken with a grain of salt. Having the benefit playing with Rantanen and Landeskog for sure bumped his stats. He also didnt perform this well when signed his last one. Barkov was 5.9M and took 10M. I`d like to see how a Landeskog-Barkov-Rantanen line would do. Skating isnt everything.

VS.

Barkov’s deal was surprising. He could have pushed for 12 too. But it’s hard to know how much Florida taxes played a role in that too

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Originally I thought 11-12m but I figured the Avs would sign him as soon as they could get a pen in his hand. When that didnt happen, I figured 13ish

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

VS.

Agree about his last one. When he signed it, he was coming off two poor seasons, regression from his rookie year. Even in year 1 of the new deal he only managed 50 some points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad