Speculation: Did Torts pull his goalie KNOWING Detroit tied the game and the Flyers were already eliminated?

Did Torts pull his goalie knowing Detroit tied the game?

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009

In the clip above, the Wings score at the 5 second mark. The offensive zone face-off with 4:11 left in the Caps/Flyers game (where the goalie is pulled, Caps don't score until 3:01 left) takes place at the 19 second mark and Torts is giving instructions, etc. before that (it's in the background starting at the 15 second mark). Seems very likely they had no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaster

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't really care to be honest, not sure if Wings fans are making a big stink or not. Most of the people I see bringing it up are not Wings fans.

Flyers are not gonna care about some other team, neither would we.
Listen we didn't make it because we lost too many games down the stretch I get and accept that. However we were very "unlucky" to say the least how the Flyers game played out...

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I had the game on two TVs right next to each other, both things were literally happening at the same time. We scored our goal a few seconds before their goalie was pulled, I'm sure the decision was already made to pull him by the time we scored.

It's the Wings' own fault, either get up comfortably so the Flyers don't have to monitor our score, or you live with this kind of result.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Tortorella is the last coach who would make decisions based on the score of another game, especially when the decision is just to screw over a completely unrelated team.

There's no bad blood between Torts and anyone in the Wings org.

If Detroit wins any of the games they threw away in December or March it's a non-issue. There are so many other bad contracts, plays, and decisions that you can point at.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The only thing I will offer as even a semi-defense of this ludicrous conspiracy notion is if there had been a natural stoppage in play, between the time the Flyers had pulled their goalie but before Washington scored, and when the game in Montreal went official. I don't know if there was or not, but if there was I don't think it would have been inappropriate for a referee, after consultation with situation room, to inform Torts that Flyers winning in regulation would make no difference to their playoff outcome. At that point, Torts can decide if screwing the Wings, coinciding with his team benefitting its Draft position by losing in regulation and finishing below Pittsburgh and (I think) Washington, was a good idea or bad idea.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't know who did something or didn't but there should be qualifying extra match for this kind of close cases.

Then those damn empty netters won't happen.

Go and vote:

Reactions: DamonDRW

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
If anything, Torts would have tried to give the Rangers a tougher opponent to get back at Brooksie

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Wasn't his easiest way to win to let the caps pull their goalie? The caps also needed to win in regulation as if the game goes to OT they would risk to get only one point which wasn't enough.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
why would the Flyers even care enough to be paying attention to the Wings game at that point? just out of a desperate need to save face with random people on the internet and fans of other teams?

like I could see not bothering if the Wings were blowing Montreal out or something but they were in the final minutes of their game and Torts had way more important things to worry about like paying attention to his own teams game

and why would he even want Washington to make the Playoffs over a team not in his division like Detroit? what would even be the motivation there?

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
why would the Flyers even care enough to be paying attention to the Wings game at that point? just out of a desperate need to save face with random people on the internet and fans of other teams?

like I could see not bothering if the Wings were blowing Montreal out or something but they were in the final minutes of their game and Torts had way more important things to worry about like paying attention to his own teams game

and why would he even want Washington to make the Playoffs over a team not in his division like Detroit? what would even be the motivation there?
Because if the Wings tie they are out. So if they got that info their goalie is out of the game solely to f*** us and the Penguins over. This whole thing was handled like shit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Because if the Wings tie they are out. So if they got that info their goalie is out of the game solely to f*** us and the Penguins over. This whole thing was handled like shit.

okay and? they can't do anything about that

they had only a couple minutes left in their own game they needed to win in regulation to have a chance to begin, no coach in the league is sitting there focusing on what other teams are doing in that moment instead of what they can actually control

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
Wasn't his easiest way to win to let the caps pull their goalie? The caps also needed to win in regulation as if the game goes to OT they would risk to get only one point which wasn't enough.
No because the Caps still had ways to get in with one point. Obviously that goes away once we win in the shootout but you don't know that at the time.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nobody has mentioned that Philly gained a spot (Minn) in the draft by losing, and they would have lost 2 spots (Pitt) had they won.

If you know you're not in the playoffs, it makes more sense to tank anyways. Philly had no motivation to take it to overtime or win once they were eliminated. Even if he knew and had time to think about it, losing the game was the right move for Philly so it really doesn't matter if he knew or not.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It’s not unethical.
Had they known they were out?

Nobody has mentioned that Philly gained a spot (Minn) in the draft by losing, and they would have lost 2 spots (Pitt) had they won.

If you know you're not in the playoffs, it makes more sense to tank anyways. Philly had no motivation to take it to overtime or win once they were eliminated. Even if he knew and had time to think about it, losing the game was the right move for Philly so it really doesn't matter if he knew or not.
Damn the rabbit hole of draft considerations. I'm out lol.

Reactions: Gniwder

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The Caps didn't need to win in regulation. Sure things are more risky 3 on 3 (or in the shootout) instead of 5 on 5 but they're way more risky with an empty net than in OT. There was no good reason for the Caps to pull their goalie.

Reactions: redwings8831

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

Yeah I mentioned Philly improving their Draft position but didn't know about Minny. Torts tanked for four minutes, the shortest tank in NHL history, and made sure his team went from possibly picking 17th OA when play started,, to 12th OA by the time play ended. Not only that, he disguised his tank by making it look like he was actually trying too hard to win! Genius. A true master class in tanking.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Had they known they were out?

Damn the rabbit hole of draft considerations. I'm out lol.
Yep. Because by losing they guaranteed a better first round pick, they dropped 2 positions and could now get the 2nd overall pick with lottery luck. If you’re eliminated there’s no point in screwing up your draft position. You’re assuming intent that you can’t assume because there’s a way more reasonable explanation.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad