Speculation: Did Torts pull his goalie KNOWING Detroit tied the game and the Flyers were already eliminated?

Did Torts pull his goalie knowing Detroit tied the game?

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He needed to win in regulation regardless. Getting up to the minute updates would only be so that he could change his strategy to choose what other teams he wanted to help.

Altering his strategy seems like it would be shadier than going with the strategy he came in with.

And I still don't care either way. He can do what he wants
After Detroit scored he didn't need anything. And no one asked if you cared. The thread is about did he f***ing know they were out and did it anyway....

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Felt like it was faster than this
it wasnt...I had time to cheer, run to the kitchen in excitement, come back, watch the replay, try to compose myself. Then the game officially went to OT, and then after this, while our game was 100% sure to go to OT (thus 100% eliminating Philly mathematically), Torterella pulled the goalie.

Again, I'm just estimating, but I'd say AT LEAST 2 minutes went by, probably closer to 2:30

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I was watching both games and the Caps goal happened only seconds maybe a minute after the Wings tied the game. I truly don't believe he knew.
If that is the case then fine. I can live with him genuinely not knowing but IF HE KNEW that's unethical as f***...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I feel like the league should have intervened. Sort of like in a poker tournament on the bubble and you play hand for hand. The refs stop the game and face off at center ice formally informing the Flyers they are eliminated and put their goalie back in.

• Haha
Reactions: zappa4ever
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If that is the case then fine. I can live with him genuinely not knowing but IF HE KNEW that's unethical as f***...

I just think its funny that most people out there are saying "Torterella admitted it during the post-game presser that he didnt know".

like we're giving that guy the benefit of the doubt of telling the truth??

at the end of the day, the Wings should have played better hockey earlier in the season to avoid being in that situation, and also, the NHL should have staggered the start time of both games to ensure something dumb like that didnt happen.

we'll never truly know if Torts knew or not, it seems like the majority of people are believing him, but I have my suspicions just based on how he has portrayed himself over the years. Could I see him do something like that on purpose? Absolutely I could. Do I think he knew, honestly I kinda do lol, but I'm clearly in the minority.

but yeah end of the day, the Wings should have played better hockey in the final month and a half, and none of this would matter

Reactions: 14ari13

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I just think its funny that most people out there are saying "Torterella admitted it during the post-game presser that he didnt know".

like we're giving that guy the benefit of the doubt of telling the truth??

at the end of the day, the Wings should have played better hockey earlier in the season to avoid being in that situation, and also, the NHL should have staggered the start time of both games to ensure something dumb like that didnt happen.

we'll never truly know if Torts knew or not, it seems like the majority of people are believing him, but I have my suspicions just based on how he has portrayed himself over the years. Could I see him do something like that on purpose? Absolutely I could. Do I think he knew, honestly I kinda do lol, but I'm clearly in the minority.

but yeah end of the day, the Wings should have played better hockey in the final month and a half, and none of this would matter
100%. We blew it ourselves I'm not saying we aren't the cause of why we didn't get it. But if he knew he is an asshole and given his history I don't give this guy the benefit of the doubt!

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I feel like the league should have intervened. Sort of like in a poker tournament on the bubble and you play hand for hand. The refs stop the game and face off at center ice formally informing the Flyers they are eliminated and put their goalie back in.

That is some of the funniest gd shit I have ever read on HF.

Reactions: JoeGarelli

chum

Feb 27, 2002
question, what would be the motive?

does tort have any beef with red wings, or is he in love with ovechkin?

Reactions: Oddbob

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I get the frustration of missing the playoffs by a hair, but the idea behind this thread is quite a reach.

If I were Torts, and I was informed the Wings had scored to send their game to OT, right at the moment I'm about to pull my goalie.... I still pull my goalie. I'm on the bench, coaching my team in a critical moment, and I'm basically hearing via word-of-mouth that Detroit tied up their game. I'm not at the Bell Centre. I'm not even watching their game. Is there a chance the goal is being reviewed? Is there still time on the clock? Could Montreal still score in regulation to get the lead back? There's no way for him to know these things in the moment. Acting on them, only to find out later the Flyers fate wasn't actually sealed, would be disastrous. No reason to even take that chance.

Tortorella, NTA, no matter what conspiracy scenario we're concocting here.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I get the frustration of missing the playoffs by a hair, but the idea behind this thread is quite a reach.

If I were Torts, and I was informed the Wings had scored to send their game to OT, right at the moment I'm about to pull my goalie.... I still pull my goalie. I'm on the bench, coaching my team in a critical moment, and I'm basically hearing via word-of-mouth that Detroit tied up their game. I'm not at the Bell Centre. I'm not even watching their game. Is there a chance the goal is being reviewed? Is there still time on the clock? Could Montreal still score in regulation to get the lead back? There's no way for him to know these things in the moment. Acting on them, only to find out later the Flyers fate wasn't actually sealed, would be disastrous. No reason to even take that chance.

*Torts has entered the chat*

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
He said he didn't know but pulling your goalie with 3 minutes left is unusual. Most of the time you pull the goalie at 1:30 or so as a last resort. I don't watch enough flyers game to know if that's something he does regularly.
We pulled our goalie with about 3 minutes remaining Monday night.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I was watching both games and the Caps goal happened only seconds maybe a minute after the Wings tied the game. I truly don't believe he knew.
Not picking on you at all here, just using this as an example of how everyone keeps asking the time between when Detroit tied their game and Torts pulled his goalie. That is irrelevant. What people should be asking (the people who care about this, myself not included) is the time between the regulation horn sounding in Montreal and Torts pulling his goalie. As long as there was still time on the clock in the 3rd of the Wings game, there's still a chance the Habs win in regulation, and he'd be an idiot to change his strategy.

Reactions: Realgud

chum

Feb 27, 2002

my thoughts exactly, except I wasn't able to put all these into words.

Reactions: Realgud and jaster

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not picking on you at all here, just using this as an example of how everyone keeps asking the time between when Detroit tied their game and Torts pulled his goalie. That is irrelevant. What people should be asking (the people who care about this, myself not included) is the time between the regulation horn sounding in Montreal and Torts pulling his goalie. As long as there was still time on the clock in the 3rd of the Wings game, there's still a chance the Habs win in regulation, and he'd be an idiot to change his strategy.
That's a fair point. As soon as the game went to OT but for the Wings to lose in 3 seconds from a puck drop at center ice would be a miracle...

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
You can't intervene on an assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad