Did Carolina win TDL?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
There's no maybe about it.

Yeah, I don't know. My knowledge isn't that great so I wanted to be careful with my statement. I love the way Slavin plays and no other player that I can remember right now breaks up plays like him.

Toews is very similar in many ways, both guys are elite both Slavin is just a bit better on the defense.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, I don't know. My knowledge isn't that great so I wanted to be careful with my statement. I love the way Slavin plays and no other player that I can remember right now breaks up plays like him.

Toews is very similar in many ways, both guys are elite both Slavin is just a bit better on the defense.
Yeah, he's really in a class of his own in terms of shutting down the opposition.

His ability to break up plays and turn the puck up ice is incredible. His stick work and body positioning are just absolutely insane (especially along the boards). His gaps are also crazy good and he's surprisingly quick for such a rangy guy. Couple that with his reach and aforementioned stick work, and it makes him nearly impossible to beat 1-1. He covers so much of the ice.

And he does all this while being asked to carry really poor defensive dmen like Hamilton, DeAngelo, and Burns. He made DeAngelo look so good, people were talking about him as a Norris candidate at one point lol. TDA was a +30 playing next to Slavin that year, and is -53 over the rest of his career.

There's a reason Slavin has never had a minus season, he's +145 over his career. Playing on a good team helps, but they weren't always good. The Hurricanes had a -71 goal differential in his first 3 seasons, and he was still +25 in those 3 years. His impact on games is immense.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I find it really strange how often this gets repeated on hf. I guess people who don’t watch the games just assume because they don’t have big name goalies that must be the canes eventual downfall in the playoffs. Actually listen to any canes fans and you’d see this isn’t the case - it’s always the goalscoring drying up.
Oop...

Canes scored 19 goals in six against NYR. The Rags scored 20. I don't think it was the Canes offense that was the problem there.

• Haha
Reactions: gab6511

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Despite the exit, I still can’t get over how good the Guenzel pick up was and they didn’t trade a first. I know - they traded 10 prospects but still.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
They need a philosophy change. This series was the ultimate testament to that. They are built to be an above average team every night of the regular season but they can't adapt to the 7 game chess matches of the playoffs. They need to become a team that can win playing different games rather than just possession and work hard.

Buyout KK, re sign Guentz, let Pesce and Teravainen walk and if Reinhart makes it to UFA let Skjei walk too and sign him for 9x7. Bring in Nikishin and Morrow, extend Necas and Jarvis long term and Chatfield for 2M then just keep making smart moves to keep the contending window open.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
1715954754090.png

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Well, just like the Leafs, the problem is goaltending and special teams.

The last 6 times the Canes have been eliminated, here are the goalies that eliminated them:

Rask x2
Vasi
Bob
Igor x2

That’s a rough stretch for any team to face, let alone one that’s got goaltending a tier or two below those players.

And I believe the Leafs went 1 for 21 this year against Boston, while Carolina went 2 for 24 against the Rangers?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
They need a philosophy change. This series was the ultimate testament to that. They are built to be an above average team every night of the regular season but they can't adapt to the 7 game chess matches of the playoffs. They need to become a team that can win playing different games rather than just possession and work hard.

Buyout KK, re sign Guentz, let Pesce and Teravainen walk and if Reinhart makes it to UFA let Skjei walk too and sign him for 9x7. Bring in Nikishin and Morrow, extend Necas and Jarvis long term and Chatfield for 2M then just keep making smart moves to keep the contending window open.
They could have easily won that series if Shesterkin didn't stand on his head. Multiple posts hit in OT go in and we're talking about how the Rangers choked away the series to the Canes. I'm not sure why you're making it out like they got blown out.

Just like the 2017 Ottawa team, a lot of people forget they were 1 crossbar away from going to the cup final.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
They could have easily won that series if Shesterkin didn't stand on his head. Multiple posts hit in OT go in and we're talking about how the Rangers choked away the series to the Canes. I'm not sure why you're making it out like they got blown out.

Just like the 2017 Ottawa team, a lot of people forget they were 1 crossbar away from going to the cup final.
They get "goalied" every year. Maybe it's time to look at why that is. When the matchups get close they always revert back to low percentage volume shooting and hope to get lucky bounces. It doesn't work against teams playing at top form. They need to adjust.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
They get "goalied" every year. Maybe it's time to look at why that is. When the matchups get close they always revert back to low percentage volume shooting and hope to get lucky bounces. It doesn't work against teams playing at top form. They need to adjust.
Sometimes really good goalies just have really good performances. You can only adjust so much against a top goaltender. They've had to go up against some of the top goaltenders in the league. It's not like they're getting shut down by nobodies.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Sometimes really good goalies just have really good performances. You can only adjust so much against a top goaltender. They've had to go up against some of the top goaltenders in the league. It's not like they're getting shut down by nobodies.
Yea but it's not like the teams they've been running into have been going on to win the cup either so obviously other teams are figuring out ways to beat these "unbeatable" goalies. Maybe on the surface it looks like bad luck and hot goalies but I don't think they do themselves any favours with their playstyle.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

they have a lot of good players but they lack a true offensive gamebreaker to push through when things aren't working

that's much easier said than done of course, especially when you're already a very good team

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Crowning a TDL winner shortly after the deadline is silly. It’s always going to be the team that made the biggest splash. But in reality, there’s going to be some random dude who was acquired for peanuts that punches way above his weight in the playoffs. Value is what wins the cup, not star power.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
they have a lot of good players but they lack a true offensive gamebreaker to push through when things aren't working

that's much easier said than done of course, especially when you're already a very good team
Svechnikov, Aho, Guentzel, Necas etc up front should be good enough. Andersen let in softies and their special teams were terrible. They were also hurt by not having a true number one stud on D. Burns regressed a little and Orlov looked surprisingly mid for them.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
1. The Canes pickups played very well vs my NYR.

2. They were a post away from a game 7 so people acting like the Canes need some drastic changes are off base. At 9 pm last night (before Kreider) many folks felt the Rangers were dead in the water.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Despite the exit, I still can’t get over how good the Guenzel pick up was and they didn’t trade a first. I know - they traded 10 prospects but still.

How was the Guentzel pick up good if they lost early in the playoffs?

Now if they re-sign him, I agree entirely. But even if they paid a low price for Guentzel, trading what they did only to lose in round 2 seems like a massive failure. Who cares if he had a lot of regular season points for them in 15 or so games? He was brought in to go on a cup run and they didn't go on a cup run.

This is less about Guentzel more than the inherent risk with any rental, though. I have a tough time saying that any team that paid notable assets for a rental did a good job if they don't end up winning a cup because of it.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Svechnikov, Aho, Guentzel, Necas etc up front should be good enough. Andersen let in softies and their special teams were terrible. They were also hurt by not having a true number one stud on D. Burns regressed a little and Orlov looked surprisingly mid for them.
Orlov has been mid for a few years. Carolina acquired an Orlov well past his prime.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I actually think they kinda adjusted better than I thought they would. They did start trying to make more high danger chance plays IMO and scored goals off of it. They broke up the Rangers neutral zone game pretty easily after the first couple of games (why the Rangers couldn't adjust to the strategy Carolina started using I dunno but seemed as simple as stationing a guy at the Rangers blueline and just passing it to him every time)

They just...well, got behind in the series and it's hard to win 3 or 4 in a row. Could blame the goalie though I think people got on Anderson a bit much for the first goal. He was going down and up and trying to track the puck through bodies and then his teammate just passes it right to Panarin and Trocheck gets a stick on the shot. Sure he coulda played it better but that was a tough sequence and shit happens. 2nd Rangers goal was bad but also kinda unlucky...how many times does that happen where the puck just sticks right there? Lots of goalies would have trouble with that exact play. Where I guess I could criticize him is he was maybe just too wobbly covering the post and getting back up and down as Zibanejad went past and then tossed it towards the net. Anderson I guess has trouble with his footwork.
Other two goals he didn't have a chance on.

Canes are a really good team that just hasn't gotten things to go their way. Not totally sure what else they need now. Better depth scoring perhaps as the Aho line was really the only one that was consistently dangerous.

e: Necas is a funny player...he's fast and shifty but it always felt like he didn't make the best shot/pass decisions with the opportunities he created for himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad