Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

Canucks interest in Alexis Lafrenière.​

Canucks interest in Alexis Lafrenière.

The Canucks know this player inside out, Lafrenière's old agent is current Canucks assistant GM Emilie Castonguay.

The Canucks have checked in on Lafrenière, he was made a healthy scratch last week by the Rangers.

The Rangers are very ware of the Vancouver interest in Lafrenière.

Lafrenière will not be cheap but the Canucks have the assets like Bo Horvat to pull this off, if the Rangers decide to move him.

Lafrenière is the type of player the new regime in Vancouver is looking for.

Before he was traded to Montreal, the Canucks were also one of the teams after Blackhawks forward Kirby Dach.

Lafreniere and Dach are the type of young players the Canucks are looking for.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol at the idea that the Canucks could get Lafreniere for Horvat.

1. The Rangers can't afford that with the cap this year to begin with.
2. Horvat is a pending UFA after the year.
3. Even if Horvat is coming with an extension, the Rangers can't afford his cap hit going forward.

Regardless of value there, there is zero chance the Rangers would make that swap because they pretty much can't with the salary cap.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lol at the idea that the Canucks could get Lafreniere for Horvat.

1. The Rangers can't afford that with the cap this year to begin with.
2. Horvat is a pending UFA after the year.
3. Even if Horvat is coming with an extension, the Rangers can't afford his cap hit going forward.

Regardless of value there, there is zero chance the Rangers would make that swap because they pretty much can't with the salary cap.

Get a solid rental for what is seeming like a 30-40 pt forward is not that bad.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Horvat is a rental and Laf scored 19 even strength goals last year. To give up a 21 year old former 1st overall who is playing 3rd line mins and no PP time for a rental is idiotic. So WTF are you talking about?

That 1st overall player is getting healthy scratched and practising with the teams 4th line

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs could make an offer but it's more likely a draft day offer. If the Rangers trade Lafreniere from now till deadline, I doubt the Habs are in that mix. Why? Cause I believe the Rangers would prefer to add a roster player that helps them now for the playoffs.

If Lafreneire stays with the Rangers this season (which is likely IMO), I'd offer the Panthers pick straight up (post lottery). It's probably going to be 8-12 range or something close to that. We are not offering a 1st rounder and a "top end player". Forget it. No team is going to offer a 1st and top end player for Lafreneire at this stage... even if they still believe in him.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I mean, we probably shouldn’t be targeting another winger, haha, but I’d still have interest. No idea what gets it done though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks leak everything to try and get GMs talking. As a Ranger fan there is nothing I really want on the Canucks.
Wrong. Rutherford and his group with Allvin leak nothing to the media. They have yet to report a move prior to it being made by this regime. Be it adding the likes of Scott Young and co to The front office or the low budget ufa signings in the front office.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Lafreniere, Trochek, and Goodrow for Horvat, Rathbone, Karlsson, and a 2024 2nd round pick?
A lot of variables would need to be in play, like Horvat re signing, Trochek waiving his NMC, but Rangers add an elite centre entering his prime, a young Karlsson who’s a centre and had a historic SHL season and is doing great in the AHL, Fox’s former linemate and partner in Rathbone who will be an NHL defenseman, and of course a pick.

Canucks take 2 long term contracts off you that’s roughly $8-9M, we get a solid 2nd line centre, and Goodrow.

It allows flexibility for both teams, and if Horvat doesn’t sign with you, that’s $8-9M of valuable cap to readjust your team, sign all of your RFA’s, and perhaps target a team need in FA.

What will suck for the Canucks is the long term contracts, but in a flat cap room, taking contracts back is crucial. And Rangers are going to be in cap hell and will be forced to trade their RFA’s anyway, unless they shake up some of the core.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every team in the NHL should be interested as this is NOT a Yakupov situation.

Nobody knows if it is a Yakupov situation or not. You can't say for sure that it's not. Teams will be interested yes but if the price is a 1st and top end player, the interest goes down to 0%. I believe Lafreniere still has 1st rounder value but no longer top 10 value. Those devaluing him to 2nd round or worse are playing the stupid HF devalue game.

Got to look at it from both sides of the fence:
It just as risky to the Rangers at trading him for less value now where he breaks out with his new team
vs
It being risky to the team who trades a 1st (10-32) range and he continues to disappoint while the Rangers get a 2nd chance at hitting with that 1st rounder dart.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So what you are implying is that the Canucks shouldn't be interested in him? Pretty sure Rangers are fine with that

I like this angle. If fans don't like the player, why spend energy devaluing the player? To get the trade value to lower? That's a stupid HF board game to play and if you have not noticed that, you would be living under a rock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad