Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Don't worry I will still be grounded if Levi lets in 6 tomorrow and we lose playoff hopes. He's the future and I have full confidence he is going to be a good one.

Next year I would rather see him get starting goalie time in Rochester rather playing backup to UPL or Comrie.
Yeah we should definitely target a goalie to make upl the back up and let levi battle for starter in rochester for a year or two

thomas vanek

Sep 19, 2005
fully agree that we should be targeting Varlamov or Andersen for a 1 or 2 year deal (which they absolutely would sign if the money was right), but lets be real....if Levi somehow gets hot and sneaks this team into the playoffs there is NO WAY they are going to follow that up with a year in Rochester lol.

(also there is NO WAY they go into a must-make-the-playoffs season next year with UPL and Comrie as the tandem)

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
of course e bring in an established starter next year.* But give Levi the chance to earn the net in camp. He would have to prove conclusively that he is the best to be the starter in that scenario. If it is close, nothing wrong with giving the new starter ~50 games and Levi ~32 games. If Levi is not up to that level, send him to Rochester for the year. No harm

*This assuming Levi does not go full Dryden. If Levi were to win the Conn Smythe this year, he is the starter next year without question. The UPL and Comrie can battle for the backup position

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
of course e bring in an established starter next year.* But give Levi the chance to earn the net in camp. He would have to prove conclusively that he is the best to be the starter in that scenario. If it is close, nothing wrong with giving the new starter ~50 games and Levi ~32 games. If Levi is not up to that level, send him to Rochester for the year. No harm

*This assuming Levi does not go full Dryden. If Levi were to win the Conn Smythe this year, he is the starter next year without question. The UPL and Comrie can battle for the backup position
What established NHL starter would want to sign up under that scenario?

None

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh

At this point I’d trust Steve Dangle with Sabres news than I would Friedman. He’s the NHLs version of Tucker Carlson.

I thought that was the case. Signing or trading for a good goalie in the off-season kind of flys in the face of this, so maybe the Sabres do not do that.

It is a little surprising Levi wants this though(if true) as he's been extremely patient at every level until now

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I thought that was the case. Signing or trading for a good goalie in the off-season kind of flys in the face of this, so maybe the Sabres do not do that.

It is a little surprising Levi wants this though(if true) as he's been extremely patient at every level until now

Well he has always talked about he wanted to develop his way based on for what he thought he was ready. Maybe he thinks he's ready.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I get asking if a team believes in the player, but no player gets to dictate the course of the franchise. And I doubt Adams dictates the course of the franchise because of Levi.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Levi is better off playing a starters workload in Roch than being the backup in Buff

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I am uncomfortable with all of this. It feels like we are rushing him for a “magic fix.”

I get where this is coming from, but I am probly more uncomfortable with anyone else we can start. It's a pressure game but, to me it should feel like a rookie Field Goal kicker trying to win the SB as a big underdog.

Meaningful games in to April, a big game that gets us close to playoffs. Just go out there and kick it ya know?

If the Sabres end the season going 3-3-1 the rest of the way and fall short, the missed playoffs have nothing to do with Levi.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am uncomfortable with all of this. It feels like we are rushing him for a “magic fix.”

I feel they did this with Greg O'Renko and Gus to an extent if we go back 10 years. Or Risto/Zadorov on defense in that era too. Levi may be unique, but I'm game to err on the side of caution. If he plays well, great. If he pushes into the starters role quickly? Wonderful. But I'm not attached to that outcome.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
This front office and coach have shown that they are not afraid to play young players and deal with growing pains. If Levi shows he can handle the NHL game over these last two weeks, I wouldn't count out them "rushing" him to the NHL. Not saying it is the right call, but given that they are starting him while they are still mathematically alive is pretty telling to me.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Levi is better off playing a starters workload in Roch than being the backup in Buff

According to who?

The team trending on being the best team to ever play in the NHL, thought differently with their young goalie prospect. Swayman has played all of 14 total games in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad