Confirmed with Link: Devils waive Cory Schneider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This crushes me personally. I feel awful for him. Guy has been through the ringer physically and mentally at this point and yet has always come out as the consummate pro and teammate through it all.

He's as good of a guy as there is in this game. Really was hoping it was going to end differently and better for him.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think this pretty much assures a buyout after this year, unless he is LTIR’d.

Maybe he'll develop a magical skin ailment over the summer, if not it will cost the Devils $2M in cap per year for a while.

Pretty sure to get away with cap-circumventing MMM (magical medical maladies) you need to be one of the top-5 most valuable teams, so NJ's screwed.

Reactions: Take Notes

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm a bit surprised they just release this news like this without a statement from Shero.

Something along the lines of him trying to go down there to find his game, etc.

Reactions: nugg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Feel bad for him, but he’s done as an NHL goalie.

I think this pretty much assures a buyout after this year, unless he is LTIR’d.

Would they dare pull a Gomez and just sit out Cory the rest of the way to avoid an injury complicating a buyout? Not as if you can count on Cory staying healthy either.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This crushes me personally. I feel awful for him. Guy has been through the ringer physically and mentally at this point and yet has always come out as the consummate pro and teammate through it all.

He's as good of a guy as there is in this game. Really was hoping it was going to end differently and better for him.
He makes $6 million a year, and he’s stolen $12 mil from NJ over the last two years. You should feel bad for the guy writing the checks, not head case Schneider.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He makes $6 million a year, and he’s stolen $12 mil from NJ over the last two years. You should feel bad for the guy writing the checks, not head case Schneider.
Eh.

I’ve railed more vocally on him than most here, but it’s not like the guy has played like this because he doesn’t care. He’s played like this due to debilitating injury. He just broke down.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Shocking, I know, but I don’t view these guys as robots who get a paycheck based on results and see them as people trying their best to help the team.

Been a fan of Schneider’s since college, was ecstatic when he was traded here. Was virtually the entire Devils team when the roster was in rough shape. Now when the roster got competitive again, his injuries and mental state have made his career take a sharp turn.

He deserves a better ending than this. Fans who view things like you do are embarrassing.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Holy shit. Do feel bad for him, but I am also glad Shero has the cajones to recognize this needed to be happen and to actually do it. How bout them owners who are paying a 6 million dollar goalie to not play with the NHL team (I'm assuming this is happening anyway).

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he earned his contract and his body broke down. it happens and it’s not his fault - by pretty much all accounts he’s a good guy and has taken this decline pretty hard. i think even his harshest critics are would be happy if he succeeded

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011

Schneider is not a head case. This is trolling, right? I always felt he fell into the category with Henrique of guys who really embraced being a Devil.

Reactions: nugg

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I think head case is a little strong, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had severe depression and debilitating anxiety. The latter has already been documented at least once when he was actually good.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Blackwood needs a new contract after this season... but a buyout would result in a 2 million cap hit for four years after this season.

Essentially they would save 4 million in cap space for the final two years that Schneids would have had on his deal... then they would have 2 mil in dead cap space for two years. It's almost a wash considering Mike Cammalleri (!!!!!!) and his 1.667 cap hit come off after next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad