GDT: Devils vs. Lightning - 7:00PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How often do coaches sit their top guys for scrubs like JJ when they are playing badly?

Yeah that's the problem...it's nice and easy to say well sit guys who aren't playing well but then god forbid one of them gets sat for JJ and the board will get apoplectic. Who else are you sitting them for? Boucher obviously is on the outs with this staff. Blandisi's on the outs in the AHL and has been terrible since his initial surge after being promoted last year.

Camille the Eel

We've been turning the puck over a lot these last two games, against two teams that pressure the puck really well. We haven't handled the pressure and in stretches our puck possession has been very poor.

We need to turn that around.

The guys who handled the pressure tonight well were Zacha, Zajac and Severson. They were our best players. Moore also to an extent was not intimidated.

Faceoffs were terrible tonight - they scored two goals directly off face offs in our end - though I haven't seen the overall stats.

Didn't Zucherov skate around Quincy on that goal before skating around Corey. Thing of beauty if you're Tampa. Thing of abomination if you're Jersey. A fan has to admire it. That guy is really something.

We beat them last week, this was payback. Also they're just getting back on their feet after a horrible road trip and they came ready to play tonight. They had Callahan, Zucherov and Bishop on the ice, all of whom were missing last Saturday night.

And Bishop played a super game while Corey didn't stand on his head. Plus they got some great bounces on the two deflection goals.

Glad for the quick turn around tomorrow.

The next two games against Carolina will tell us a good deal about where we really stand, what our quality really is, three weeks in.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
How often do coaches sit their top guys for scrubs like JJ when they are playing badly?

Probably never, (unless your JMac and you bench Kovalchuk for being late to a meeting), but how do you hold those guys accountable? I guess you can put em on 4th line duty for a game...... and make them work their way out of it.. even as a statement. Take them off PP duty for 1 game. JJ probably will help out PP more than Cam is right now, that's for sure. I wouldn't say the same for Palms of course, but put in JJ for Cams on PP you might have some more zone control on PP.

Ultimately for me, there are three top6 guys eating a lot of minutes and doing **** with them. That's a major issue. Either spread those minutes out to others or ... i dunno. I agree we can't realistically "sit them", even as a coaching option, but if you had to pick one, i'd definitely chose at least 1 (Cam?) of them for this latrine duty.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know as if sitting any of those three is going to get them going. Rico we know is going to run hot/cold. Palmieri just can't hit anything with his shot. Cammalleri is probably the most off, but it's not because he's half assing it. If those guys were just lollygagging out there I'd say let them sit. But as it is I think we just have to hope they play their way out of it.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Cammalleri has to be bench or put on the 4th line. There are others but he is the worst. How bad could it be? Replace him with JJ at least he has speed and did some stuff with the PP

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The most that would happen to any of those guys is maybe you invent a phony baloney injury and put them on IR for two weeks the way they do in baseball with pitchers that have a 7 ERA over an extended period. The only way any of them get 'benched' is if they pull a late-career Langenbrunner.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
We've been turning the puck over a lot these last two games, against two teams that pressure the puck really well. We haven't handled the pressure and in stretches our puck possession has been very poor.

We need to turn that around.

The guys who handled the pressure tonight well were Zacha, Zajac and Severson. They were our best players. Moore also to an extent was not intimidated.

Faceoffs were terrible tonight - they scored two goals directly off face offs in our end - though I haven't seen the overall stats.

Didn't Zucherov skate around Quincy on that goal before skating around Corey. Thing of beauty if you're Tampa. Thing of abomination if you're Jersey. A fan has to admire it. That guy is really something.

We beat them last week, this was payback. Also they're just getting back on their feet after a horrible road trip and they came ready to play tonight. They had Callahan, Zucherov and Bishop on the ice, all of whom were missing last Saturday night.

And Bishop played a super game while Corey didn't stand on his head. Plus they got some great bounces on the two deflection goals.

Glad for the quick turn around tomorrow.

The next two games against Carolina will tell us a good deal about where we really stand, what our quality really is, three weeks in.

Kucherovs goal was amazingly sweet if you have to look at it neutral optics. He had so much speed on Quincey, not much KQ could do really. It did look awful though. I though Quincey wasn't so bad tonight, but that's just me.

Faceoffs had some bad puck luck with the weird pass fwd to Kalinin tip to Hedman, and a few plays. Also I Greene had some weird plays tonight, him and Severson were doubled up on one side at some point.... i forget if it actually led to a goal or not.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah that's the problem...it's nice and easy to say well sit guys who aren't playing well but then god forbid one of them gets sat for JJ and the board will get apoplectic. Who else are you sitting them for? Boucher obviously is on the outs with this staff. Blandisi's on the outs in the AHL and has been terrible since his initial surge after being promoted last year.

im pretty much over blandisi.

his antics dont sit well with me

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Welp, my undefeated road game streak was no match for Florida. Nice arena, weird crowd and food haha. Not the best away game experience I have had.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
NO to Josefson!

Absolutely and utterly **** NO!!!!!!

We NEED to SCORE!

Josefson is not the answer to that, he's our worst forward offensively. There is no reason to put him in, other than a panic move.

If he's in tomorrow over any healthy body, I'm gonna really think Hiney Head is either panicking and shaking in his boots, or that he's hungover from a binge following tonight's loss.

If we need to make a change on forward, put in Boucher. But he changes the lines so much, I wouldn't be surprised if Josefson is injected in. That will be the next thing he does, put in a player like that. And if he's on the 3rd line, hoo boy. Get ready for a one goal scored game against the Typhoid Taco Eddie Lack.

Josefson did score a nice top shelf goal on that sack of **** Eddie Lacks Adequate Goaltending Ability last year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm more angry that the fourth goal wasn't scored with 15 minutes left in the game. Still had to sit in some traffic, despite leaving over 5 minutes before the game ended and 10 or 12 minutes in real time.

Cammalleri had lower ice time than pretty much all of the top 9 forwards tonight, not sure if that was by design because they know he looked like Michael Ryder or if that had nothing to do with it.

He was particularly terrible and ineffective, useless, space junk is the best way to put his game tonight.

He was noticeable last game, mostly for his over-excessive blasting of wide one timers on the PP.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory's softy was the turning point.
Just can't happen.

Was that the second goal? That was certainly the only stoppable one I'd say.

It wasn't a terrible goal, but I'd certainly ding him with that.

Speaking of goaltending, if we can't score some goals on that clod Lack or his bone dust partner, we're in some real trouble. And please no softies from Kinkaid.

There's some joint in Raleigh that gives away free Lacko Tacos, I'm not sure what the stipulation is. I'd imagine it's gotta if the Canes win and Eddie stops 90% of the shots. It's so rare that guy stops 90% of the shots, so the taco joint obviously doesn't lose much money.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He got bailed out by the post then 5 seconds later let's in a deflator that was the turning point tonight.

Team overall was bad of course too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One ****ing goal scored doesn't help either. Cory has bailed this team out time and again since being here. It's about ****ing time the team bails him out once in a while.

Are you talking about the goal that deflected off Kalinin and started knuckling?

Team needs to bail Cory out every once in awhile.

Yeah

Bad goals from Cory happen sometimes

Dead ****ing offense and not being able to score on Bishop seem to happen all or MOST of the time.

Offense is still this teams Achilles heel. By far, it's the biggest weakness of this team. The defense isn't great, but it's the dead offense that's been the reason for every loss, other than the OT loss to the Panthers in which we scored 3 goals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He got bailed out by the post then 5 seconds later let's in a deflator that was the turning point tonight.

Team overall was bad of course too.

Did the puck deflect off Kalinin? I'm not sure.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They got too cute with the puck in the d zone starting in the 2nd.

Cost them too.

In the 1st they banged the puck out witb authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad