GDT: Devils vs. Capitals - Retro Night 7:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This is like the 4th game Hynes has kept Severson off the PP.

Which is nuts. For all the kinks in his game he's pretty good on the powerplay and I think the new set-up they have going would work well with him. I don't think he's played much, if at all, on the powerplay since they changed the formation. He's played well lately but there's no way in hell I'm running Merrill on the powerplay over Severson, ever. Yet here we are.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
At least fuss about things we can all fuss about. Like how bad the defense was tonight or the lack of Severson, our defenseman with the most points, on the powerlay! I'll gladly join the fray if we fussed about that :laugh:

Sev's is def a guy who Hynes likes to put the clamps on. At times anyway.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have an older friend (older meaning a senior citizen) who in contrast to me was mostly pro-DeBoer up until his last half season here. Outside of his goalie decisions and some of the shootout lineups and his usage of Larsson.

He just told me that he thinks Hynes might actually be one of the best coaches in the league, as some of his decisions are so suspect, he almost makes it seem like it's a calculated plan to do things like keeping Severson off the PP, questionable decision to start Kinkaid tonight, Parenteau on the 4th line and some of those amazing hits from earlier this year. Like the bizarre Parenteau and Bennett scratches, the reliance on Lovejoy and Moore, Kalinin being used in a semi shutdown role a few times, Lovejoy's 3 on 3 time, etc.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Sev's is def a guy who Hynes likes to put the clamps on. At times anyway.

I get it, young player and all blah blah blah. But he's our best offensive defenseman on the team right now (I think Moore is up there but he's not healthy, even then it's close) and not having him out there is crazy when the powerplay is struggling so mightily I think the peewee team I played on back in the day could kill off a penalty against them.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Aside from the bad bad game, retro night was very well done. Loved the intro video, socks are nice too. Was able to take advantage of those 2 for $20 hat deal with the alternate 'devil skating' logo. Love the '47 brand franchise hats.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils have taken young players off the PP this year and last year when they feel that that player needs to simplify his ES game. Remove the extra responsibility that player has on the power play and let him focus on 5 on 5.

Severson's decision making on the PP - particularly on rushes up ice/zone entry - has been not great recently. He'll be back on the power play at some point.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It just baffles me how the powerplay can struggle so much and Severson just sits and watches it. I'm almost expecting Hynes to look up and down the bench, see him and be like oh **** you're still here!? you do that offense stuff right? well go, do it!

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It just baffles me how the powerplay can struggle so much and Severson just sits and watches it. I'm almost expecting Hynes to look up and down the bench, see him and be like oh **** you're still here!? you do that offense stuff right? well go, do it!

I mean, this is kind of a weird take - I like Severson on the PP too and think he will end up back there eventually, but he has yet to score a power play goal in his career. And I know the Devils have de-emphasized defenseman shooting on the PP, but still.

One of my least favorite Hynes traits is switching up the power play units majorly mid-game. I think PP units have success when everyone knows where everyone is supposed to be and that you don't switch up the units mid-game unless someone is hurt/in the penalty box.

The Devils got at least one good look when Wood made a good pass to Hall but the puck rolled on Hall right as he took the pass. There was also a lot of ugliness.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I mean, this is kind of a weird take - I like Severson on the PP too and think he will end up back there eventually, but he has yet to score a power play goal in his career. And I know the Devils have de-emphasized defenseman shooting on the PP, but still.

One of my least favorite Hynes traits is switching up the power play units majorly mid-game. I think PP units have success when everyone knows where everyone is supposed to be and that you don't switch up the units mid-game unless someone is hurt/in the penalty box.

The Devils got at least one good look when Wood made a good pass to Hall but the puck rolled on Hall right as he took the pass. There was also a lot of ugliness.

Yea, like you said they have put less of an emphasis on defenseman shooting which in theory favours having Severson on there even more. He has pretty good vision and great skating, which on what looks like a more mobile powerplay unit seems like it plays into his strengths exceptionally well. As for his shaky zone entries I think as long as they have Hall and Zacha on separate units those are the two I'd look to be carrying that burden for the most part and they're probably our best two forwards in that regard.

I mean really, Merrill? At the very least Quincey should get the next crack, he has a decent shot. But it should be Severson.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

To be fair, it struggled when he was on it too so let's not act like he's the savior of the power play. Yes, I'd rather him over the defenders we're icing now, but I think Severson's looking better of late. I'd rather build up his confidence back then put him on the PP.

I'm more upset that Zacha isn't put in Cammalleri's or Parenteau's spot on the PP. Zacha has absolutely deserved and played his way into a more prominent role on our PP.

I mean really, Merrill? At the very least Quincey should get the next crack, he has a decent shot. But it should be Severson.

Quincey was already tried there. I thought Merrill looked pretty good on the PP when he was first put on it. Honestly, I'd like them to put Severson on one PP and Merrill on the other.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
To be fair, it struggled when he was on it too so let's not act like he's the savior of the power play. Yes, I'd rather him over the defenders we're icing now, but I think Severson's looking better of late. I'd rather build up his confidence back then put him on the PP, because it was doing poor even before he was taken off.

I'm more upset that Zacha isn't put in Cammalleri's or Parenteau's spot on the PP. Zacha has absolutely deserved and played his way into a more prominent role on our PP.

It sucked when they still were using the old set-up along the half-wall. I don't think he's gotten any time since they've changed it up and Severson's strengths play into the new formation really well in my opinion. I never acted like he was a saviour but he's a much better option than what we've trotted out.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Was the PP really that much better with Severson on it? It could also be the staff adjusting his usage because of the injuries we have on defense.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yea, like you said they have put less of an emphasis on defenseman shooting which in theory favours having Severson on there even more. He has pretty good vision and great skating, which on what looks like a more mobile powerplay unit seems like it plays into his strengths exceptionally well. As for his shaky zone entries I think as long as they have Hall and Zacha on separate units those are the two I'd look to be carrying that burden for the most part and they're probably our best two forwards in that regard.

They don't want the defenseman shooting unless that's what's being given by the defense. This thing is set up to have the forwards being the ones shooting. As such, Merrill and Stollery are mostly distributors - their role is to move the puck quickly to the open man. I don't think the coaches want forwards setting up Kyle Quincey for a big slapshot.

I wonder if handedness plays into it at all too.

We're in agreement that Severson is probably the best PP guy the Devils have, I'm just not opposed to him focusing on 5 on 5 play for the time being.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He is still a better offense talent than Stollery.

Honestly the whole thing needs to be scrapped. It is total garbage and predictable.

True, but without Greene we're already asking him to be our top defenseman. Taking him off the PP to let him focus on his even strength play may not be the worst thing in the world.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well maybe it would be nice to have a PP threat at the blue line

I feel pretty comfortable saying that this is massively overvalued in today's NHL. The Devils are one of the teams fully on board with 4 forward, 1 defenseman power plays and we're seeing more teams move towards that as their default. It'd be nice if someone like Auvitu became that, but I sure hope Shero doesn't intend to pay for such a player.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
missed this one…..went to go play bass in an early elvis tribute band…no show, just a practice but……

too much to read through the whole thread at this hour…..

just wondering how was this totally foreseen loss? was santini ok at least? saw that kink got right filled. :help:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
missed this one…..went to go play bass in an early elvis tribute band…no show, just a practice but……

too much to read through the whole thread at this hour…..

just wondering how was this totally foreseen loss? was santini ok at least? saw that kink got right filled. :help:

They actually played well for the most part. Cory was excellent once they switched. Just special team woes, and some mistakes buried them.

Zacha continues to improve

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Went through the game just to see some interviews and what not. Where did this Arda Ocal guy come from? MSG seems to enjoy hiring some of the most annoying people lately.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
They actually played well for the most part. Cory was excellent once they switched. Just special team woes, and some mistakes buried them.

Zacha continues to improve

right on.

glad to hear that is wasnt a complete **** show. even if the score looks like it.

and ya…….last in the east at the moment

emoji-confused-face.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad