Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zubrus doesn't exactly fit in with two parts of fast, attacking and supportive...that's not happening with this administration. He'll be what he should be for his last year, a third-fourth liner and a good locker room guy. The days of him being on the first line are long done.

This isn't what he is, though. He's not an NHL player anymore. He's basically Sestito at this point. If NJ uses him as a 14th forward all year, great, but he really shouldn't play regularly unless there's a bunch of injuries or basically all the young players are terrible.

Now that the Devils are awful and also way below the cap, it doesn't matter, but that Zubrus contract is almost certainly worse than the Rolston contract. Lou missed on every single 35+ contract he ever signed - the Elias one is the only one that will come close to being value neutral.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This isn't what he is, though. He's not an NHL player anymore. He's basically Sestito at this point. If NJ uses him as a 14th forward all year, great, but he really shouldn't play regularly unless there's a bunch of injuries or basically all the young players are terrible.

Now that the Devils are awful and also way below the cap, it doesn't matter, but that Zubrus contract is almost certainly worse than the Rolston contract. Lou missed on every single 35+ contract he ever signed - the Elias one is the only one that will come close to being value neutral.

The difference is that Rolston contract actually hindered us cap-wise.

Zubrus' contract was basically irrelevant to our cap situation.

As bad as Zubrus is, it's not like he's a detriment on the ice. To me, it's better to play him in a fourth line role even if he doesn't produce offense. You know he's reliable defensively and he's a smart player. The kids can play higher minutes with better players against lesser competition.

Again, if this team were competing, then I would say keep Zubrus off the team as his offensive game dried up completely last year. But that's not the case.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
At this point, I would rather have Zubrus off the team so I don't have to see this stupid ass argument 135 times this season tbh.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At this point, I would rather have Zubrus off the team so I don't have to see this stupid ass argument 135 times this season tbh.

I knew I could get some of you to cave! Welcome to the dark side!:sarcasm:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't care about Zubrus for one more year. Go ahead and try to find me one single team that doesn't have a player that the vast majority of fans think is done and needs to be cast off into the sun. It's just one more year. One more year that the team isn't gonna be that good with or without him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't care about Zubrus for one more year. Go ahead and try to find me one single team that doesn't have a player that the vast majority of fans think is done and needs to be cast off into the sun. It's just one more year. One more year that the team isn't gonna be that good with or without him.

While that is true (every team has one team that the majority of fans think is done), I think there's a very good case to be made that Zubrus is the worst forward in the league. Or at least full time, as I've said. Not counting call ups here, or every organization's version of Sestito or Sislo.

Especially now that goons are being phased out, and guys like Olli Jokinen and Brendan Morrow are probably never to be heard from in this league again.

Zubrus now has to be near the bottom.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The difference is that Rolston contract actually hindered us cap-wise.

Zubrus' contract was basically irrelevant to our cap situation.

As bad as Zubrus is, it's not like he's a detriment on the ice. To me, it's better to play him in a fourth line role even if he doesn't produce offense. You know he's reliable defensively and he's a smart player. The kids can play higher minutes with better players against lesser competition.

Again, if this team were competing, then I would say keep Zubrus off the team as his offensive game dried up completely last year. But that's not the case.

If the Devils were any good with this sort of a roster, they'd have to be a cap team, and if they were a cap team, the Zubrus contract would be beyond terrible. I don't think Lou signed Zubrus in 2013 figuring 'Well, we'll miss the playoffs the next two years, so that third year is meaningless'.

Zubrus is a detriment on the ice. He takes tons of penalties and he is a total pylon at this point, totally incapable of doing anything on the forecheck, which used to be one of his strengths. He scored 4 goals last year playing a 3rd line role with several chances on the 1st line. He's a year older. People say he's good at penalty killing but there really isn't evidence of that, either.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I knew I could get some of you to cave! Welcome to the dark side!:sarcasm:

Hahaha for the past year or so I've always been of the opinion that Zubrus is old and sucks. I just think all the discussion about him is unnecessary. If he isn't on the team we don't magically make the playoffs.That's all I have left to say about this :laugh:

That would just leave more time to complain about Zajac.:sarcasm:

I really have no problem with all the Zajac discussion since that is a legitimate problem. He is a key player making big money long term. He's not a freaking 4th liner signed for 1 more year when we are barely above the cap floor as is.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
While that is true (every team has one team that the majority of fans think is done), I think there's a very good case to be made that Zubrus is the worst forward in the league. Or at least full time, as I've said. Not counting call ups here, or every organization's version of Sestito or Sislo.

Especially now that goons are being phased out, and guys like Olli Jokinen and Brendan Morrow are probably never to be heard from in this league again.

Zubrus now has to be near the bottom.

I understand and I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't care anymore. Fraser is gone, so I'm happy. He is your Fraser so I get where you're coming from.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hahaha for the past year or so I've always been of the opinion that Zubrus is old and sucks. I just think all the discussion about him is unnecessary. If he isn't on the team we don't magically make the playoffs.That's all I have left to say about this :laugh:

I really have no problem with all the Zajac discussion since that is a legitimate problem. He is a key player making big money long term. He's not a freaking 4th liner signed for 1 more year when we are barely above the cap floor as is.

If Zubrus IS strictly a 4th liner (barring half the team getting mumps at the same time) I can't complain too much. As long as that also means that Gionta is not in the top 9, or even Tootoo for the most part too.

I'm just a little skeptical of him being dumped on the 4th line, or at least to start the season. DeBoer threw him on the 4th line FINALLY after like 20 games into last season. I just hope it doesn't take Hynes that long to realize that he's finished, hopefully he already has.

While Zajac has been off an on for the past half decade now, I think we should see if he'll bounce back this year. I think there's a good chance that he bounces back, considering he's only 30 years old and this is his first AWFUL season. By bounce back, I don't mean back to 60+ points. But back to 45-50 is certainly reasonable. Now if he's playing with Zubrus or Tootoo, I don't see that happening at all.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

That's a fair point on Zajac. It's just funny how this board works. We go from the same Zubrus argument where the same people make the same points over and over again. Then we have the Zajac debate, where the same people make the same points over and over again. Sometimes I think we just enjoy arguing with each other. It's like therapy or something.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I understand and I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't care anymore. Fraser is gone, so I'm happy. He is your Fraser so I get where you're coming from.

Well no one is quite as bad as Fraser.

Fraser is also not a full time player, or at least not as of last season. Even though some person(s) made the decision to play him almost every night last year.

Zubrus is arguably the worst forward in the league, Fraser is unarguably the worst player in the league. And guess who hasn't gotten a contract yet? See you over in the KHL with Tostitos, you worthless bum.

At least Foligno is gone too, or so I think. I saw pictures from development camp and there was a coach that kind of looked like Foligno from far away. We did officially cut ties with that disgrace of a hockey coach, right?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well no one is quite as bad as Fraser.

Fraser is also not a full time player, or at least not as of last season. Even though some person(s) made the decision to play him almost every night last year.

Zubrus is arguably the worst forward in the league, Fraser is unarguably the worst player in the league. And guess who hasn't gotten a contract yet? See you over in the KHL with Tostitos, you worthless bum.

At least Foligno is gone too, or so I think. I saw pictures from development camp and there was a coach that kind of looked like Foligno from far away. We did officially cut ties with that disgrace of a hockey coach, right?

Fraser the worst player in the league? You're FAR too kind. He is the worst player ever in the history of the sport at any level and does not deserve to set skate on another ice surface for the rest of his life.

Sorry that's like a nervous tick. I have to let that out when someone mentions him...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fraser the worst player in the league? You're FAR too kind. He is the worst player ever in the history of the sport at any level and does not deserve to set skate on another ice surface for the rest of his life.

Sorry that's like a nervous tick. I have to let that out when someone mentions him...

On second thought? I think you're right.

I HATED him during his first stint here, and cringed when we re signed him. Everyone said I was paranoid and that he wouldn't see NHL ice time because it was an AHL only contract. I think I told everybody to watch how fast that changes when we need to pluck someone out of Albany.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
On second thought? I think you're right.

I HATED him during his first stint here, and cringed when we re signed him. Everyone said I was paranoid and that he wouldn't see NHL ice time because it was an AHL only contract. I think I told everybody to watch how fast that changes when we need to pluck someone out of Albany.

I was saying the same thing. I just knew it was going to happen.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
New guess for Larsson's contract since TG makes it sound like they want to go longer term: 5 years, 20 million maybe?

I can't see him signing that deal (I hope he does!). I'm thinking it'll end up being a short term deal 2, 3yrs at the most. How bout 2/$6 or 3/$9mil - disclaimer: I'm really bad at guessing the $$$ so try not to kill me too much. :)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I can't see him signing that deal (I hope he does!). I'm thinking it'll end up being a short term deal 2, 3yrs at the most. How bout 2/$6 or 3/$9mil - disclaimer: I'm really bad at guessing the $$$ so try not to kill me too much. :)

Three years brings him to UFA, so thats pretty much off the table for the Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad