Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
So circumstances can conspire against Loktionov, though the numbers say he's an "NHL quality player"?

And yet, without factoring in context, you can say that Quenneville/Black/etc. are likely to be middling prospects because their numbers say so?

Good to know.

To me the numbers are pretty simple: three NHL teams gave Loktionov a look. Three NHL teams said bye-bye.

Loktionov was far more impressive in his junior days than JQ and Black. And he produced in the AHL. And he looked decent in his short NHL stint. I think odds are above 50% that neither JQ or Black end up with as many NHL points as Loktionov's 48.

The only the reason the Kings let him go was because they had a log jam of center on their team and Loktionov didn't have a spot. The Canes didn't qualify him because of a serious shoulder injury. If a young prospect who needs to fight for a spot gets hit with injuries or runs into roster log jams, it's difficult to stick. Meanwhile, Josefson has had the benefit of playing on a team with zero young forward talent to take his spot.

I'm not saying Loktionov is the savior or anything, but some of you have very warped impressions of him as a player. Meanwhile, a guy like JJ is generally well-regarded despite being worse. If JJ were a third rounder instead of a first rounder, he'd probably be in Sweden right now.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I was pretty disappointed that Loktionov didn't put up a 60 pt season, though. It seemed everything was in line for it to happena nd *poof*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad