Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd much rather have Stevens build than Goldberg's. Stevens looks ripped, but very simple. Goldberg looks like a big roid monster. At least back then he did.

I have a friend that's built much more like Stevens in that pic than Goldberg. Dude is 6 foot 2 or 3 and a very lean 215-220 pounds. Like 10% body fat. And when he goes to the doctors they put him as overweight on the BMI because of it lol. He shits every time over that. You would hardly think he weighed that much, unless you went to try to lift him up and would come close to having a hernia in the process. He's actually built a little similar to Jagr.

I'm pretty sure he would also annihilate Goldberg, now or in his prime. He looks like a male model or movie star, but has this tendency to start brawling with people like he Steven Seagal in some of his movies where he fights 5 guys like it's nothing haha.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I'd much rather have Stevens build than Goldberg's. Stevens looks ripped, but very simple. Goldberg looks like a big roid monster. At least back then he did.

I have a friend that's built much more like Stevens in that pic than Goldberg. Dude is 6 foot 2 or 3 and a very lean 215-220 pounds. Like 10% body fat. And when he goes to the doctors they put him as overweight on the BMI because of it lol. He shits every time over that. You would hardly think he weighed that much, unless you went to try to lift him up and would come close to having a hernia in the process. He's actually built a little similar to Jagr.

I'm pretty sure he would also annihilate Goldberg, now or in his prime. He looks like a male model or movie star, but has this tendency to start brawling with people like he Steven Seagal in some of his movies where he fights 5 guys like it's nothing haha.
Goldberg wasn’t some soft wrestling creature he actually played in the nfl for a minute either way stevens prob bodies him but Goldberg had some pedigree behind him

*my early wrestling dissertation lol

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No idea why the Sharks seem so against teams negotiating an extension to drive up price. Not a good look for Grier as a rookie GM
Maybe they know Timo won't sign an extension anyway. Otherwise yeah it makes no sense that they wouldn't want to up the return with a potential extension, unless in their deluded minds they think they can bring Timo back themselves next offseason and that's why they don't want to give up an extension.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goldberg wasn’t some soft wrestling creature he actually played in the nfl for a minute either way stevens prob bodies him but Goldberg had some pedigree behind him

*my early wrestling dissertation lol
I'd like to see a shirtless picture of him in his football days. I figured he's probably closer to Stevens build in his NFL days, which I know wasn't too many years earlier than his wrestling debut.

I've never been a fan of Brock Lesnar's build. I always thought he just weighed just too much and don't much care for the way his waistline looks. It's kind of wide for my ideal build.

And don't mistake this for me saying he's got too much body fat, he definitely doesn't. I just think he has too much size and girth to him.

I hope he doesn't hunt me down for mocking his physique lol.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Maybe they know Timo won't sign an extension anyway. Otherwise yeah it makes no sense that they wouldn't want to up the return with a potential extension, unless in their deluded minds they think they can bring Timo back themselves next offseason and that's why they don't want to give up an extension.
My logical guess would be that if they allow negotiation that team and sj is locked in to a trade and if those negotiations fall through they are left back at square one

Opposed to just dishing him out and saying this is what it is

Reactions: Nubmer6

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My logical guess would be that if they allow negotiation that team and sj is locked in to a trade and if those negotiations fall through they are left back at square one

Opposed to just dishing him out and saying this is what it is
So basically they're being lazy. They've dragged their feet for weeks without doing squat, but now that we're down to brass tacks they're not even bothering to try to facilitate an extension to get a better return.

What would be the price everyone's willing to pay with no extension (bearing in mind we still have him for a year and a half and probably have a decent chance at extending him down the road regardless)? Holtz, a one and a smaller piece maybe? I ain't giving them Zetterlund too if this is just a year plus rental.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I'd like to see a shirtless picture of him in his football days. I figured he's probably closer to Stevens build in his NFL days, which I know wasn't too many years earlier than his wrestling debut.

I've never been a fan of Brock Lesnar's build. I always thought he just weighed just too much and don't much care for the way his waistline looks. It's kind of wide for my ideal build.

And don't mistake this for me saying he's got too much body fat, he definitely doesn't. I just think he has too much size and girth to him.

Genetics is my guess, lesner and Goldberg are just naturally bigger than a guy like stevens

Stevens in boxing terms would be like a light heavyweight

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry if repost, but what a lovely interview with Burns’ wife on the Devils YouTube:

I've seen her before, but I don't think I've ever heard her talk, so I never really imagined her having the French accent or at least not that thick.

I think she's a very pretty woman, but unfortunately reminds me of a little more older and mature and much more classier someone from my not too distant past. Someone that was very ugly on the inside. And unfortunately this nice woman triggered those thoughts.

But you can tell she's a very kind hearted and sweet woman.

Kind of sad that this might be the last time we have her and actually many of these people here, as there's really no more cup celebrations or number retirements from those days. Unless we're gonna do 30 year anniversaries also.

The next night we realistically will have to look forward to honoring someone from those days is probably Lou, which could be as soon as next year, should he no longer be the Islanders GM next year, but they're clearly not gonna have a Lou night while he's an acting GM elsewhere. I think a lot of these folks and probably even many that weren't present for tonight (1995 and 2000 cup winners) would show up for that.

The only other legacy night I can think of possibly having is if there's a Patrik Elias hall of fame night, but we probably won't have one of those either, as I don't think we had a Marty Brodeur hall of fame night, did we?

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
So basically they're being lazy. They've dragged their feet for weeks without doing squat, but now that we're down to brass tacks they're not even bothering to try to facilitate an extension to get a better return.

What would be the price everyone's willing to pay with no extension (bearing in mind we still have him for a year and a half and probably have a decent chance at extending him down the road regardless)? Holtz, a one and a smaller piece maybe? I ain't giving them Zetterlund too if this is just a year plus rental.
Grier trying to out smart the market which I don’t think is smart on his part

Rookie gm whose first round of negotiations aren’t going well

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've seen her before, but I don't think I've ever heard her talk, so I never really imagined her having the French accent or at least not that thick.

I think she's a very pretty woman, but unfortunately reminds me of a little more older and mature and much more classier someone from my not too distant past. Someone that was very ugly on the inside. And unfortunately this nice woman triggered those thoughts.

But you can tell she's a very kind hearted and sweet woman.

Kind of sad that this might be the last time we have her and actually many of these people here, as there's really no more cup celebrations or number retirements from those days. Unless we're gonna do 30 year anniversaries also.

The next night we realistically will have to look forward to honoring someone from those days is probably Lou, which could be as soon as next year, should he no longer be the Islanders GM next year, but they're clearly not gonna have a Lou night while he's an acting GM elsewhere.

The only other legacy night I can think of possibly having is if there's a Patrik Elias hall of fame night, but we probably won't have one of those either, as I don't think we had a Marty Brodeur hall of fame night, did we?
Probably another for the 25th anniversary. But yeah after that there isn't likely any big reunions down the road other than for Lou and maybe one more for the 2000 team since we're almost at the 25th anniversary of 2000. We already had the 25th anniversary of 1995 so I don't see that group coming back anytime soon.

Reactions: Guadana

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Think CAR is all smoke. They know they won't win shit without a #2 C and they're gonna burn their best assets and available cap on another wing? Cheap owner doesn't help, either. Emily Kaplan I think nailed it the other day when she said, "They're monitoring Kane and Meier, but I wouldn't be surprised if their acquisition is an off-the-radar player with term."
Im thinking this as well . Canes checking in periodically , if it works for them , then great. If not , drive the price up on us . Bunch of jerks

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Probably another for the 25th anniversary. But yeah after that there isn't likely any big reunions down the road.
I don't think we had a 25th for the 95 team, but that was also the 20th for the 2000 team, which we did have 3 years ago.

I don't think they'll have 25th anniversaries or even 30th anniversaries, but I could see them doing a 30th anniversary just for the 95 team in 2025, just because it's the first cup and not having a 30th anniversary for the 2000 or 2003 teams.

I do think we could do a Pat Burns night or a Larry Robinson or Jacques Lemaire night or even Jacques Caron.

It's too late now, but we could have had quite a few themed nights for the 40th anniversary season, like a Pat Burns night or something.

I do think they'll definitely have a Lou night and he'll have some kind of a mural up there next to McMullen, who is so far the only person we've put in the ''Ring of honor'' thing and that's been 6 years ago now.

I think Lou is probably the next one they wanna put into that and the next one they plan to put up there, but he's still a working GM for another team and a division rival at that.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

I think that maybe SJ heard or knows Meier wants to come to Nj / extend . Knowimg this , Meier would tell all other teams bidding on him that he won’t extend . So Meier controls his destiny then and lowers the amount of teams interested at all . So instead of facing that scenario , SJ has now changed to no extension talks . It then at least keeps more teams in on bidding on him
I honestly think Meier amd the whole Mexican vacation thing was an indication of him wanting to come here only or at the very least NJ was very high up on a limited list of favourable destinations

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

The first time my Dad met Stevens, now mind you, my Dad is 5'9 -ish and 160lbs tiny.... He goes "he's not that big, he looks more like a farm boy than a professional athlete"

Lol....

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Vegas has the most on crack roster building philosophy I've ever seen

Poor prospect pool and Western conference tax. Not worried about them.

If he’s not coming with an extension, I don’t even care anymore. Not giving up a massive haul without knowing his contract demands.
I agree with this, but I'm pretty sur he'd sign here.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

Vegas has the most on crack roster building philosophy I've ever seen

They just keep taking Ls big game hunting and then go do it again anyway.

I think the worst thing that happened to them was Fleury becoming good again and not retiring after they already signed Lehner to replace him and the Eichel trade was just a mess. You can make the argument Tuch is a more valuable player when you factor in contracts.

Dont see any way they can afford Meier, neither salary cap nor the assets necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad