Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah, the Brodeur working with the team experiment hasn't gone over well.

Enough of these guys of yesteryear. I appreciate what they did as players, but I think people clamoring for them is just nostalgia.

I wouldn't hate it if he were an assistant, but the people who've called to bring him back over the years usually want him here to teach people how to lay hits and not be so soft lol and to stand up for their teammates lol.

I really don't wanna be one of those organizations that employs a bunch of guys because they were HOF players and won cups here 25-30 years ago.

Wayne Gretzky as a head coach went over horrifically. And he way overstayed his welcome. And Arizona (then Phoenix) weren't even nearly as big of a joke organization at that time as they've become now.

the yotes have always been a joke. day one... all the way up to today.

*also see the columbus blue jackets

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree - the problem is less the player, who would probably be a good fit for a few years. The problem will be acquisition and opportunity costs.

Yeah the cold reality is Siegs probably needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure there is one available that won't be a massive overpay in some fashion.

I'm not in love with running the same top 4 next year with a healthy Dougie, but with so many other roster holes that need filling, we might not have a choice.

Very least we need better depth pieces then Smith if/when someone under performs or gets hurt.

Nice seeing that Hatakka could be a good depth piece for us.

Reactions: NJDfan86

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really doubt sneaking into the playoffs is going to be the difference for Green.

If he gets the job, it probably means Fitz was always going to give it to up.

The only thing that I believe would shift Fitz's mind on Green at this point one way or another is us completely bottoming out or us going on a deep run.

Reactions: Guadana

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I advise there should be a Brunnette appreciation night at the Rock for the gm against the Predators. Roll out the golden golf cart at center ice and there is no way Andrew won’t resist breaking his contract and coming back to us.

IMG_4760.jpeg

*insert cup gif*

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I advise there should be a Brunnette appreciation night at the Rock for the gm against the Predators. Roll out the golden golf cart at center ice and there is no way Andrew won’t resist breaking his contract and coming back to us.

View attachment 842441

*insert cup gif*

*outsert this*

who wouldn't want to be showered

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Small samples yes, but the fact that both guys numbers have jumped dramatically coming from what were clearly bad teams does show they were having their numbers dragged down. Do I think they will perform to this level, no, but I'm pretty confident they play above the numbers they had on their previous teams.

Now I'm sure Fitz will be on the look out, but if Nash isn't trading Saros, and the best trade option is overpaying for Markstrom, who doesn't have great numbers himself the past 2 seasons, I'm rolling Kahk and Allen.

It's not about being hurt by the puck. It's the ability to move fast enough stop pucks that are coming at them significantly faster.
Well playing less games ain’t going to help them

Goalie is a niche position in a niche sport, with dwindling participation numbers. It's not exactly shocking that the quality isn't what it once was.

Parents can barely afford to feed and clothe their kids. Goalie equipment is double the cost of skater equipment.

If I were Canadian/American, I'd probably encourage my kid to play skater... Just saying.
Yeah I do agree with this but still hockey is a super big global sport so any short comings in NA for recruitment should be offset overseas. Is it expensive over there to play as a kid I wonder. I don’t have kids playing the sport but surprised more second hand options aren’t out there

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I'd like to see the numbers, and admittedly I haven't watched as much as late, but I think Luke "hitting a wall" was not really the thing this board has made it out to be.

I thought from early on in the season he was prone to gaffe's, but also capable of end to end rushes, I thought that was still happening during the "wall" period, and still happening now. But now he's getting points, including what I thought looked like a super softie last night.

I'd like to see the numbers, and admittedly I haven't watched as much as late, but I think Luke "hitting a wall" was not really the thing this board has made it out to be.

I thought from early on in the season he was prone to gaffe's, but also capable of end to end rushes, I thought that was still happening during the "wall" period, and still happening now. But now he's getting points, including what I thought looked like a super softie last night.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Timo was starting to heat up under Lindy too to be fair, his issue was likely more health related than the off wing stuff we were debating all year though it also helps he gets to replace Toffoli on the PP and in the top six now
Timo is also the guy that produces with more ice time.

Some of his best years in San Jose he was floating around 19 minutes per game

For whatever reason ruff wanted to keep him in the 16-17 range most nights even in the playoffs last year he was down around the 16-17 min range. Green has been playing him close to 20 minutes per night

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't think it is. Green isn't an upgrade over Ruff. He's not a good coach, he never really has been.
squeaking into the playoffs doesn’t guarantee that green will be our head coach next year. it is pretty ridiculous to say you’d rather not take that risk and miss the playoffs altogether, i don’t understand how a devils fan could say that. we could very well miss the playoffs by a couple of points and green could stay on next year anyway. fitz clearly likes him.

i’m not advocating for green, i just want to get in, implausible as it may be.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ok. Not that I'm getting optimistic or anything, bc we know where that leads...

But this does have the makings of a ridiculous Cinderella comeback story, esp if we have to run the gauntlet of the league's favorite team twice, the Rags, the fishstix and flyuhs in order to do it.

This franchise does have a flair for the dramatic.

I don't see it. They just got caved. I can't imagine we are going to continue to get elite goaltending like that for the rest of the season. I would imagine us going around .500 for the remainder of the season.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i don’t see any way fitz would keep green on without interviewing all the other coaches who are available. even if they squeak into the playoffs it would be managerial malpractice not to do exhaustive of a search as possible.

if fitz then decides green is better than everyone else then well, we may have a problem, but until then there’s no use getting your panties twisted in a knot over pure speculation and conjecture

Reactions: My3Sons and Dialamo

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I don't see it. They just got caved. I can't imagine we are going to continue to get elite goaltending like that for the rest of the season. I would imagine us going around .500 for the remainder of the season.

They got caved for a single period. Yet the offense popped off for a correction in our favor after weeks of bad bounces no goals inability to get puck back in net.

The 3rd period last game was a deliberate shell defense kept everything wide as much as possible. And we counter attacked as needed and buried those chances.

That is something the ruff coached team didn't do as much this season. They rarely adjusted when they did have a lead, they just played same aggressive rush style for most of regular season when leads wee had. I think that is a difference greene is bringing in right now.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Ok. Not that I'm getting optimistic or anything, bc we know where that leads...

But this does have the makings of a ridiculous Cinderella comeback story, esp if we have to run the gauntlet of the league's favorite team twice, the Rags, the fishstix and flyuhs in order to do it.

This franchise does have a flair for the dramatic.
sneak in on the final day of the year get the rempe rangers in round 1 and knock them out

1711630965404.png

• Love
Reactions: Dialamo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad