Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Rempe averages less than 4 minutes a game and played 13 seconds vs us. He plays against 4th lines and he hit a guy on the 4th line.

He also got thrown out so I’m not sure how our players were supposed to have “answered” that.
You do something in the moment. Or retaliation. The devils turned their collective backs and whistled like they didn't see anything.

But if you see the response (or lackthereof) as appropriate or no big deal, no use in even having a conversation about it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i don’t think they quit on ruff. i think they like him and want to win a cup for him. i just don’t think he has the answers and the fact that they keep trying and failing is discouraging
Maybe not; but over the weekend it sure felt like they did finally stop playing for him.

I never thought that before this past weekend.

Firstly, f*** that moron.

On Markstrom, maybe they like the certainty of his contract?

He sucks or falls apart, you can get rid of it.

Sign Saros to a mega contract and he falls apart? Not so easy.
Yeah, I’m not against acquiring Markstrom, to make myself clear.

Let it burn for this year though. Don’t acquire anybody to make this team better. Not even if they’re signed beyond this year.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Rempe averages less than 4 minutes a game and played 13 seconds vs us. He plays against 4th lines and he hit a guy on the 4th line.

He also got thrown out so I’m not sure how our players were supposed to have “answered” that. (Scoring on the PP would have been nice, but alas…)
I mean I’m the biggest critic of Neanderthal hockey you’ll find…but there are ways to answer it physically. These guys are constantly getting their lunch money taken away from them. It’s bad enough they can’t make the opposition pay for it on the scoreboard, but they don’t even attempt to dish back out what they get served.

And it leads to them getting beat up and injured, to add literal injury to insult.

They are the little kids getting punched and having their lunch money stolen every day, and just simply accepting it with no response. Or worse, watching that happen to their friends and just walking away like cowards.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Siegs skated towards Rempe after the hit, he got stiff armed and dropped like a rock. We literally had no one on our team that could stand up to him. Then last night Lazar vs Gudas?? Prob the reason we now have Mcdermid.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Even those two barely do anything from a bullying/physicality standpoint.

We have guys with potential to be pests and be physical in addition to those two. Timo. Haula. Palat.

Don’t you think it’s kind of odd that the leader of the softest team in the league never seems to bring that aspect of the game up? He seems quite content with it as it stands.
What the heck is going to do or say?

"Stand up for yourself you candy asses"

"Fitz give me a little more muscle this is bullshit "

Come-on what could the coach possibly say or do with this roster from a physical/toughness standpoint? It's soft and honestly I think that softness adds to some of defensive troubles...not immensely but it is absolutely another element in the "easy to play against" column from a defense stand point

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Nobody wants goonery, that's not what we're talking about.

Nothing wrong with a strong check, a face wash, a bit of agitation. You see none of that in their game, they play like son-in-laws.

That's fine, but it hasn't worked for them this season. The look like someone kicked their dog.

Get in a face or two, change it up. Do something different.

But I'm telling you, Ruff won't let them. There's no room for it in his galaxy brain system.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I mean I’m the biggest critic of Neanderthal hockey you’ll find…but there are ways to answer it physically. These guys are constantly getting their lunch money taken away from them. It’s bad enough they can’t make the opposition pay for it on the scoreboard, but they don’t even attempt to dish back out what they get served.

And it leads to them getting beat up and injured, to add literal injury to insult.

They are the little kids getting punched and having their lunch money stolen every day, and just simply accepting it with no response. Or worse, watching that happen to their friends and just walking away like cowards.

I was responding to the claims about Rempe.

Injuries aren’t tied to lack of toughness.

I think we need to be more physical and hard to play against. I don’t measure that by how much retaliation happens though.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We have one of the best young cores in the league talent wise. There needs to be some work around the edges, in goal and with the staff. New voice needed.

I don't think this is as dramatic as some are making it out to be. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re right back into it next season. Hopefully they grow from this.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
What the heck is going to do or say?

"Stand up for yourself you candy asses"

"Fitz give me a little more muscle this is bullshit "

Come-on what could the coach possibly say or do with this roster from a physical/toughness standpoint? It's soft and honestly I think that softness adds to some of defensive troubles...not immensely but it is absolutely another element in the "easy to play against" column from a defense stand point
What do you think a coach like Torts or Laviolette would do? They would have called that shit out publicly a long time ago. They’d ride their asses to not be such f***ing pushovers. Come on.

I think it’s pretty clear Lindy, at best, doesn’t give a shit about that aspect of the game. And at worst, possibly encourages them to not engage.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I was responding to the claims about Rempe.

Injuries aren’t tied to lack of toughness.

I think we need to be more physical and hard to play against. I don’t measure that by how much retaliation happens though.
I disagree with the second sentence. This team gets absolutely punished physically…exponentially so because they never respond in kind…the ripple effect is absolutely resulting in additional injuries. Especially when we have a staff that trots possibly injured guys right back out to receive additional unanswered punishment from the opposition.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What do you think a coach like Torts or Laviolette would do? They would have called that shit out publicly a long time ago. They’d ride their asses to not be such f***ing pushovers. Come on.

I think it’s pretty clear Lindy, at best, doesn’t give a shit about that aspect of the game. And at worst, possibly encourages them to not engage.
That's why Torts and Lavi are both with their 7th team. That shit don't last long.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I have very little interest in Markstrom, either go big for Saros (potentially Ullmark in the offseason if the price is reasonable), Or go cheap with someone like Stolarz and just focus on improving the skating group. Paying high value for Markstom’s 35 and 36 year old seasons is both risky short term and doesn’t solve the problem long term.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Siegs skated towards Rempe after the hit, he got stiff armed and dropped like a rock. We literally had no one on our team that could stand up to him. Then last night Lazar vs Gudas?? Prob the reason we now have Mcdermid.
There’s a reason we didn’t have anyone and most teams don’t have a goon. They’re completely useless.

Reactions: Guadana

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
That's why Torts and Lavi are both with their 7th team. That shit don't last long.
I’m not advocating for those guys specifically. But some balance there would be nice.

This coach is a one trick pony and it’s not even that good of a trick considering all the stars need to align for it to actually work.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils could stand to be more physical. They do not need to get into contests of being 'pests' except around the net. Their players cannot stand up to a war of attrition and so the best way to not involve yourself in that is to not start hitting their best players first. Someone like Radko Gudas isn't going to be intimidated into not making that hit on Hughes last night - he fears nobody, rightly so.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I have very little interest in Markstrom, either go big for Saros (potentially Ullmark in the offseason if the price is reasonable), Or go cheap with someone like Stolarz and just focus on improving the skating group. Paying high value for Markstom’s 35 and 36 year old seasons is both risky short term and doesn’t solve the problem long term.
If they had Markstrom for 3 playoff runs (this season included), I would have been in. But with burning this season, I don't think it's worth the premium assets now just to have an older Markstrom for two years.

Saros and Ullmark are both possibilities in the offseason, but again they're UFAs after next year so (a) you have to give either one a big ticket contract and (b) you can just wait out next season and get them for free as UFAs instead of giving up high 1sts and/or top prospects.

At this point, my plan might be to get a cheaper stop gap on a short term/expiring deal for next season (Kahkonen, Broissoit, Allen, Driedger, DeSmith) and then try to grab Ullmark or Saros in UFA for free.

Reactions: Guadana

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Nobody wants goonery, that's not what we're talking about.

Nothing wrong with a strong check, a face wash, a bit of agitation. You see none of that in their game, they play like son-in-laws.

That's fine, but it hasn't worked for them this season. The look like someone kicked their dog.

Get in a face or two, change it up. Do something different.

But I'm telling you, Ruff won't let them. There's no room for it in his galaxy brain system.
This is why Graig Berube should be the guy behind the bench.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
If they had Markstrom for 3 playoff runs (this season included), I would have been in. But with burning this season, I don't think it's worth the premium assets now just to have an older Markstrom for two years.

Saros and Ullmark are both possibilities in the offseason, but again they're UFAs after next year so (a) you have to give either one a big ticket contract and (b) you can just wait out next season and get them for free as UFAs instead of giving up high 1sts and/or top prospects.

At this point, my plan might be to get a cheaper stop gap on a short term/expiring deal for next season (Kahkonen, Broissoit, Allen, Driedger, DeSmith) and then try to grab Ullmark or Saros in UFA for free.
I'm not big on Markstrom because of his age. Crazy how a career journeyman like Alex Lyon can establish himself as a NHL starter but, we can't find shit! VV last year was a mirage that got exposed when it really mattered. Ugh. We'll never have another Marty but, give me someone who can keep it straight and on the rails and not into a river. Christ!

Reactions: Bleedred

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Would be fitting to win the draft lotto the year after bedard
Can only move up like 4 spots now if you win the lottery, so it wouldn't matter anyway. The difference between picking something like 7th overall and 10th overall is negligible.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The idea that Ruff has no interest in physical play is also absurd. He was the coach during the Sabres-Senators brawl 15+ years ago. He played Mason Geertsen for 25 games in 2022. He put Brendan Smith in for Game 2 last year because of physical play. He is way more focused on it than I bet even the board is, but he doesn't have the horses for it.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
We have one of the best young cores in the league talent wise. There needs to be some work around the edges, in goal and with the staff. New voice needed.

I don't think this is as dramatic as some are making it out to be. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re right back into it next season. Hopefully they grow from this.
It all hinges on goaltending. They will be in the exact same spot if they don't address goaltending and get someone who can make a save.

The defense needs to be reworked as well. Siegenthaler, Marino, Bahl, and Smith have all been objectively bad defensemen. You can afford to run out maybe 2 of those 4 regularly.

Reactions: Bleedred

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Siegenthaler for Graves with $750K retained, so salaries basically become a wash. Change of scenery for both. Reunite Graves-Marino & Pitt can run Siegenthaler with one of Letang/Karlsson since Graves has not worked next to either. I’d do it all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad