Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
I’m not a doctor, but I have no doubt in my mind that Jack won’t be ready for preaseason games. He’ll be out until Prague. Play in those games, look rusty and then get shut down for a few more October games. My levels of pessimism with this team and its medical staff are off the charts right now.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m not a doctor, but I have no doubt in my mind that Jack won’t be ready for preaseason games. He’ll be out until Prague. Play in those games, look rusty and then get shut down for a few more October games. My levels of pessimism with this team and its medical staff are off the charts right now.
I would be floored if the recovery time for repairing something he was able to play through took more than a couple months.

Reactions: Mgd31

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I agree with what you said as well. I just don't think any other organization shuts their best player down when they can't injure themself further and you still have a mathematical shot. I even conceded as a fan at the Ranger game last week to shut Jack down. So in my view, a week later isn't far off. I don't think it ever was going to happen, in say, February.

I'm just trying to realistically see both sides here.

I'm partially ranting off some initial steam, but just to me this still seems mega short sighted and generally risky for many reasons to wait so long

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
Unpopular take: I’d shut the core down, and call up Utica. I know it’s super unrealistic, but it’s a lost season, with few games left. Just focus on the off-season and be itching for training camp.
Want to lose a locker room, shut down your best players for the reaminder of the season for no reason when you are eliminated from the playoffs. See how well that goes

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Realistically though everyone was calling the shoulder thing for months even when the team wasn't giving us shit so this isn't exactly the thing to clap back against 'the medical experts' here since it was actually sussed out and assumed correctly.
Fine. I don't think this is a Devils specific issue as much as it is a league issue. They glorify toughness and playing through pain and then wonder why players say they can play through shit they shouldn't or don't shut them down when they should. You think if Crosby had a bum shoulder but could play through it the Pens would be shutting him down while they still had a chance (even if it's been slim and shrinking for weeks like the Devils chances)?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah I mean, you can't actually force an adult to get a shoulder surgery. They have to consent to it.

It's far more like likely that Jack finally just gave in than the team just realized he's hurt and could use a surgery.

Camille the Eel

So you think Nemec should have replaced Luke on the PP1?

Luke could have helped PP2 while Nemec makes PP1 worse?

There’s only one unit that matters, PP1, that’s where a team get most of the production from. That’s why all the best players traditionally go on the PP1. So “helping the PP2” is meaningless, the best guy goes on PP1.

And Luke’s a rookie, not every pass will work, but Nemec would make the same number of screw ups or more with his passes. Nemec would give up significantly more breakaways. And Luke is a better shooter than Nemec.

Just a hard no to Nemec on PP1, particularly now, he’s hit the rookie wall hard while Luke has a second wind.
Luke needs to develop a simple, hard and accurate wrist shot in the off season, so as to get the puck on goal while on the move from the top when on the power play. Watch Fox when he quarterbacks the Rangers power play. You don’t need a canon from there. Rather a fast release and accurate shot when the lane is briefly open.

Jesper Bratt on the other hand has to work on breakaways. I can’t think of another player I’ve seen fail to score on so many breakaways in crucial game situations as he has this season. I think we could have easily have had between 3 to 5 additional wins if he had just cashed in at an average rate in those situations. We must be talking 15 to 25 blown breakaway chances.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Luke needs to develop a simple, hard and accurate wrist shot in the off season, so as to get the puck on goal while on the move from the top when on the power play. Watch Fox when he quarterbacks the Rangers power play. You don’t need a canon from there. Rather a fast release and accurate shot when the lane is briefly open.

Jesper Bratt on the other hand has to work on breakaways. I can’t think of another player I’ve seen fail to score on so many breakaways in crucial game situations as he has this season. I think we could have easily have had between 3 to 5 additional wins if he had just cashed in at an average rate in those situations. We must be talking 15 to 25 blown breakaway chances.

My point wasn’t that Luke was the PP guy 4eva, so yes, he can improve in a lot of areas.

My point was I don’t mind his heavy PP ice time, because I like him more on the PP than Nemec right now, and there are no other choices.

I particularly don’t mind it now because his play has really picked up.

And I’m also prepared for tonight’s game to in someway aggressively not prove my point lol.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Jack *could* loose a little bit of Range of Motion, but it shouldn't impact his play.

He should be fine in terms or re-injury.

He'll be less likely to get hurt as he was after the first time he was injured.... and he'll be just the same as he was 2 years ago.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Hoping for a full recovery for Jack. If anything take more time than you think to make sure it's 100%. As a Sens fan, Josh Norris is the cautionary tale here...

Hopefully not all things are created equal. The surgery should be fine. After that it's knowing your limits and working around them. LIttle things you could do randomly like outstretching your arm.. you now need to be extra careful in case of impact.

So his play could be impacted (because of instinct), but he's smart enough to learn.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Camille the Eel

My point wasn’t that Luke was the PP guy 4eva, so yes, he can improve in a lot of areas.

My point was I don’t mind his heavy PP ice time, because I like him more on the PP than Nemec right now, and there are no other choices.

I particularly don’t mind it now because his play has really picked up.

And I’m also prepared for tonight’s game to in someway aggressively not prove my point lol.
I totally understood your point and agree. I quoted not to contradict but to amplify the discussion, meaning to respond with a comment adding a thought. He has been the best option to run the power play through. He also doesn’t give up the short handed chances that we saw when the slower, less agile Hamilton was up there last year.

Adding still further, I think the best use of Hamilton next year might well be on the left side half boards for his one timer. To capitalize on his shot. In other words maybe have both he and Luke out there on a power play unit. It’s at least worth a thought.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Having Jack play at maaaybe 60% and miss the playoffs by by 6+ points anyway is just the type of asinine decision that makes me question this organization. Now you run up against a tight timeline for *next* season where any number of setbacks are possible? It just boggles the mind.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_5041.jpeg

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
i might agree with you if hughes was healthy enough to...checks notes...take a faceoff. playing him that injured in a season that was in all likelihood lost weeks ago is so far beyond shortsighted and irresponsible it's not even funny. heads need to roll this summer and i'm starting to think fitz doesn't have the grapes to do it.
Fitz is the problem.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Having Jack play at maaaybe 60% and miss the playoffs by by 6+ points anyway is just the type of asinine decision that makes me question this organization. Now you run up against a tight timeline for *next* season where any number of setbacks are possible? It just boggles the mind.

it's one of those things where you can't really hurt it anymore. Off season surgery was always going to happen in my opinion (not a doctor but a shoulder surgery dude).

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad