Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The only pushback I’ll give that is god forbid the Rangers win the Cup with Rempe being a cult hero, we’ll be going back to goon fourth liners all over the league before you know it

We won't, because they do not exist. The reason why the Devils are giving 3 years to a 30 year old MacDermid and the Leafs are giving 3 years to a 36 year old Ryan Reeves is because these sorts of players are not playing professional hockey anymore, by and large. Rempe could one day be a decent 4th liner, he skates well enough to play his position maybe, but a guy his size who can skate like him is rare.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
What need? The Rangers were sailing to the President’s Trophy before Rempe ever came up, not like he made the difference on a borderline playoff team
i remember reading the players in the locker room loved him out there doing what he does who knows what that means to on the ice but i rather have a guy like rempe then not. sure you take the bad with the good but i doubt hes going to be out there eating mins in a game 7 game tied not like many 4th liners would be anyway

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Rempe has played 44 minutes total in the playoffs over 7 games. Just because your normal run of the mill sports fan sees a social media post about him that might hype him up shouldn't mean anything IMO.

hey guy i dunno what to tell ya hes seemed to have a bigger positive then negative impact on the team so again to just come out and blanket say there isn't a need for this type of player? thats not totally true. i rather a league without them personally but until that changes there will be a need

Last edited:

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The cap is going up 5 Macdermids next year and possibly another 5 the year after. That's 10 Macdermids, we have one.

Is he as close to as useless as you can get? Yea. But he does one specific thing and does it well. Keep him collecting dust in the back of your tool chest and just bring it out when you need it. Simple as that. The league keeps going in waves of "needing one" to not needing one of these players, the waves get smaller every year, but is not completely died out yet as much as we all want it to. Fitz said, screw it, and locked him up for 3 years so its something he never has to think about again. If the team "needs" that tool, it's there, if not, whatever.
Generally I agree but what IF believing you have that tool keeps you from building a roster that shouldn't need that tool. What if the purchase of a spot welder convinces you to build a house out of tinfoil?

Reactions: TrufleShufle

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Generally I agree but what IF believing you have that tool keeps you from building a roster that shouldn't need that tool. What if the purchase of a spot welder convinces you to build a house out of tinfoil?
It would be terrible. But I would like to think Fitz knows better.

IMO he bought a sledge hammer for the once a year he's gotta knock out some concrete, but knows he needs a few other size hammers to actually fix up the houses. If he thinks a sledge hammer is all he needs, he won't be a contractor very long.

I like this.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is my fear and something I said about the Willman re-signing as well. Guys have a weird habit of continuing to get overplayed when they've already done it once for a certain team. It makes it feel like we might not get the bottom six overhaul we need this offseason.
I honestly think Willman was re-signed for the AHL. He may get a call up, but I don't anticipate him being a regular NHL roster guy.

I do think MacDermid is gonna play, probably more than we want him to. He's not only gonna play the Rangers or Flyers or whatever other 4 or 5 teams have a goon (Leafs with Reaves) right now.

And regarding Rempe, I would be pretty shocked if Rempe is still on the Rangers by..... What's the last year of MacDermid's contract? 26-27? I would be flabbergasted if Rempe is still a Ranger by 26-27. Mark it done, bookmark this. I don't think we're gonna remember Rempe too much by 26-27. Maybe he'll be on the Flyers by then or another team that harbors goons.

That doesn't mean MacDermid is a lock to be a Devil or an NHL Devil by that year either. I'm just saying I don't think Rempe will still be a Ranger by 26-27.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rempe is a guy that falls out of favor by next year.

I remember saying at first that Rempe probably wouldn't play in the playoffs, which he did. I thought maybe because of the Wilson thing.

But he's already been a healthy scratch for half of the Carolina series. It's looking like Rempe Mania has at least lost a little bit of its steam.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It would be terrible. But I would like to think Fitz knows better.

IMO he bought a sledge hammer for the once a year he's gotta knock out some concrete, but knows he needs a few other size hammers to actually fix up the houses. If he thinks a sledge hammer is all he needs, he won't be a contractor very long.

I like this.
i agree this isn't going to change the way fitz builds the roster and honestly if the team is slacking/sleep walking for a stretch of games i can see them bringing him into the lineup and generating some emotion with some hits fights whatever it takes. i really dont think you would see him in an everyday lineup but i dont know

Reactions: TrufleShufle

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
What would be your plan on dealing with Rempe versus bringing back MacDermid?

Guy injures two Devils in 5 minutes of ice time. You don't just not have some sort of plan to try to prevent that from happening again next season. Should the new coach just tell the players to watch out for his elbow and try not to get hit?

Did I say I dislike the contract or player? I also could not give two shits about Rempe.

But, let's be serious for a second. These players are trash and have little impact on the game.

They are cheerleaders. Good on them for getting the sums of money that they do, only in this silly sport.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
6 pages for the MacDermid signing is peak HF Devils offseason mode.

We’re in mid May.

1715965539443.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Smith is gone btw, not sure if I said this before on the forum. But hes not being re-signed
Is this inside info?

I never thought he was gonna be re-signed.

He could have played 25 minutes every game for the last month of the season and I wouldn't have believed he was coming back.

I'm actually 50%, maybe even 60% sure that he's done in the NHL.

He's 35 years old. There's not much of a demand to sign players at all who are 35 and there's even less of a demand for a one dimensional defensive defenseman, who isn't even all that good at playing defense anymore.

There's gonna be other older defensemen also on the market, who are ahead of him in the pecking order based on merit. Giordano and Alec Martinez being two, if they still have interest in playing. There's probably even another couple of aged 35+ defensemen on expiring contracts that I'm forgetting, who will likely field more calls than Smith.

He's not Zdeno Chara, who was still getting signed until he was 45.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He'll get 4th line minutes (probably less than that even) in around 30 games on the season.

Who gives a f*** lol.
But it also compromises any line he's on.

I'm sure a lot of people will be fed up with Lazar and Bastian (many were already fed up with him this year) when they're doing nothing all year because they're playing with him and we don't have a real 4th line.

In the two playoff years we've had in the last however many years, we didn't have a goon on the roster. 16-17 we had Gazdic (who didn't play many games though), in 18-19 we had Kurtis Gabriel and in 21-22 we had Mason Geertsen the entire season on the roster.

I think Kurtis Gabriel only played one game before it was junk time in 18-19.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
what else should we be talking about on a internet msg board?
Don’t get me wrong, people can talk about what they want and we’re a passionate bunch. It’s just funny to me that we’re almost at 10 pages of talking about a player who will most likely play like 35 games a year tops.

At the same time it was a compliment lol, we’re an invested bunch that’s for sure. Not sure many team boards would have discussed it so much already lol.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
But it also compromises any line he's on.

I'm sure a lot of people will be fed up with Lazar and Bastian (many were already fed up with him this year) when they're doing nothing all year because they're playing with him and we don't have a real 4th line.

In the two playoff years we've had in the last however many years, we didn't have a goon on the roster. 16-17 we had Gazdic (who didn't play many games though), in 18-19 we had Kurtis Gabriel and in 21-22 we had Mason Geertsen the entire season on the roster.

I think Kurtis Gabriel only played one game before it was junk time in 18-19.

As long as they don't get scored on (constantly), I don't really care that much.

Less minutes for them, means more minutes for Jack et al.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Playing MacDumbass is like going with 11 forwards. You want to be able to roll 4 lines over the course of a long season. We could put together a pretty good shutdown line with Lazar and Bastian with the right player there (maybe Nosek?). This guy can’t do that. Hopefully he doesn’t play more than 20 games.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
But, let's be serious for a second. These players are trash and have little impact on the game.
Yes, they are trash, but Rempe had quite an impact in two games against us and beyond by injuring Bastian and Siegs. If MacDermid can do the same thing to a couple of Rangers, that alone would be worth the 1,15 million he is getting. Unfortunately he just might be too nice a person for that.

Reactions: My3Sons

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Having your goon face off against their goon isn’t a deterrent and never has been.

A deterrent is being able to score on the PP. It’s been said before but if the Devils pot two goals on the major after the Bastian hit Rempe is probably sent down the next day.

If you want a physical deterrent, it isn’t going after guys like Rempe, but taking out the other team star players in response. But no one is going to do that because they will be ostracized from the league. It also would set off a mutual assured destruction race with the other team.

Such a stupid signing.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Calm down everybody, MacDermid is going to be the first Devil to score on a 5 on 5 major next year, after Rempe takes off Nico's head.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
guys they signed a goon for a measly $1m for 3 seasons after our rival’s goon targeted the heads of two of our players. let’s pump the brakes on this being the demise of our team and see this is the literal bare minimum fitz can do to try and protect his diminutive stars. it’s a whole lot of nothing here.

it’s not going to prevent us from signing anyone we want to sign and it’s not going to steal a spot from clarke or some other tweener that probably won’t be a difference maker for the team anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad