Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
His skating speed got slower this year which is something I'd probably stay away from because it shows injuries/age are starting to take a toll on him. @SteveCangialosi123, you've used those skating charts before on this board, can ya post Marner's if you can find it?
This year vs 2 years ago

IMG_1827.jpeg

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I am not saying I want to get Marner, but I think some of you guys are definitely underselling him tbh. He is also a tremendous defensive player.
He doesn't show up in the playoffs. We already have big money tied up in our top 4 forwards. Are we going back to Timo being a PP2 player?

And what do you think we have to give up? They are going to want a top Dman and we are talking about 1 or 2 players for us here.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He doesn't show up in the playoffs. We already have big money tied up in our top 4 forwards. Are we going back to Timo being a PP2 player?

And what do you think we have to give up? They are going to want a top Dman and we are talking about 1 or 2 players for us here.

Like I said, I have never suggested trading for him. I agree he doesn't fit given our current roster makeup.

Marner has 50 points in 57 career playoff games, with a 53% CF% . This "doesn't show up in the playoffs" stuff is so ridiculous to me.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Marner will be an amazing fit on some team and will most likely be a huge reason that team wins a cup. But it isn't Toronto and it isn't Devils. Ironically enough a team like Boston would turn into a powerhouse with him in my opinion.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Will Buffalo or Columbus make offers for him, they have good young players to make a trade and some nhlers too.

I don't think trading him will make Toronto better. They will not find better players. It will be Tkachuk story. Except Marner looks like a player who wants to play for his team. But I will be happy if they will trade him away. Fans don't understand where their problems are coming from, how good their team is playing for their weak roster aside from top 5 players.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
If the Leafs are willing to trade Marner and we get a good deal on it, I take him 10/10 times and figure the rest out later. He's a beast and the cap will continue to increase.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I would take Marner 11 times out of 10. He is bordering on ridiculously under rated right now

He is almost a PPG in the playoffs with a 54% CF in his playoff career. He is tremendous defensively, a top PKer for TOR.

Get him for cheap, obviously would need to work around the cap but if its doable, Im in

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If the Leafs are willing to trade Marner and we get a good deal on it, I take him 10/10 times and figure the rest out later. He's a beast and the cap will continue to increase.

Anyone getting Marner would be getting a good deal trade compensation wise. The cap hit, contract length and NMC pretty much guarantees that.

But that's a lot of money that eats up a lot of current year flexibility

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Marner's picking his next spot if he's getting traded this year, I can see him being intrigued with the Devils tbh but I'd like to sort out the rest of the roster a bit before we get there like the above post said about a goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad