Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Love Timo, but I think he is the 4th best forward on the team.

I put Hughes Bratt and Hischier ahead of him
That's what I'm thinking. it's a bit hard to say since they occupy different roles but I'd generally take them slightly ahead of Timo if I was starting a team from scratch.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If we want to get “tougher to play against” we need better forecheckers that consistently win board battles. A couple of those guys sprinkled into the lineup will give us a more varied attack if a team is shutting down our rush offense.

Warren Foegele, Jake Debrusk, Anthony Mantha, Stefan Noesen (lol), Dakota Joshua, Michael Amadio

lot of those types available this summer

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yet despite that, this team was still somehow inexplicably in the playoff race until the last 3 weeks of the season.

A lot of those issues are fixable and personnel and health help a ton with others. If we revert to even league average on a lot of those issues, this team should be comfortably in the playoffs.
Going to continue playing the role of wet blanket, but we are watching 2 terrible playoff teams getting whacked in their fIrst round matchup. Being closely behind those teams isn’t much of a positive.

The good thing looking ahead in this regard is those teams are more likely to regress then improve.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Going to continue playing the role of wet blanket, but we are watching 2 terrible playoff teams getting whacked in their fIrst round matchup. Being closely behind those teams isn’t much of a positive.

The good thing looking ahead in this regard is those teams are more likely to regress then improve.
It's not how NJ finished this season, it's how they rebound next season that matters. I think with health, good coaching, and a couple of helpful player ads that Nj can slingshot well ahead of the playoff bubble.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not how NJ finished this season, it's how they rebound next season that matters. I think with health, good coaching, and a couple of helpful player ads that Nj can slingshot well ahead of the playoff bubble.
I certainly think it can happen but I thought it was going to happen this year. I saw it as a lock. And It better happen otherwise we are talking about serious changes amongst core players next offseason.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sharks gassed David Quinn. That's an interesting name.
He sucks. He was shit with the Rangers.

I thought they'd keep him one more year, but I really think the fact that they had the fewest points (I think?) of any team in an 82 game season since the sophomore 00-01 Atlanta Thrashers (pre shootout too) is what really punted him in the skull.

If they had just a few more points, I think he stays on one more year.

And I'm sure some of those ugly blowouts way back in October or November (back to back 10 goal against games) didn't help. I was half thinking he'd be fired then.

He's a 50-something year old college coach that took forever to break into the league. He needs to go back to school, because I'm pretty sure he's not for the NHL.

Is he Travis Green bad? Hard to say. His roster was legendarily bad.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

This team mostly healthy with Toffoli, Hamilton, and Miller is far better than the Islanders or Capitals.

Would they do much damage in the playoffs? Probably not, but they’d put up a much better fight than either one of those two teams.

I think it’s for the best in the grand scheme of things that this happened. Adds some motivation to the group and forces Fitz to make some changes, notably beefing up the team a little bit.

We played probably the softest playoff series in a while against the Rangers. I don’t expect this team to be running through teams, but definitely need a better balance.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A core forward group of Nico Bratt Jack and Timo is soft as butter.

"Sprinkling " players in isn't going to do shit because those soft players will continue to get 60+% of the total ice time.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Warren Foegele, Jake Debrusk, Anthony Mantha, Stefan Noesen (lol), Dakota Joshua, Michael Amadio

lot of those types available this summer

Trenin is another name for that list.

I’d love for us to target a depth guy like Duhaime or even Liam O’Brien. Need some to add some guys with a little fire I think to replace some of what Wood brought.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
A core forward group of Nico Bratt Jack and Timo is soft as butter.

"Sprinkling " players in isn't going to do shit because those soft players will continue to get 60+% of the total ice time.
The biggest worry in that group Jack for me.

Bratt has proven to be shifty enough to do damage against bigger physical players and he doesn’t shy away from battles. Hischier might not be pushing guys around, but he’s not a problem there. Meier can more than handle his own and dish them out.

The main thing really is you need to get Hughes good linemates when the games get tough, like how they played him with Palat/Haula at times. You also need to limit the softer, less physical guys like Toffoli, Holtz, Sharangovich, and situationally Bratt around him so teams can’t just brute force their way to neutralize an entire line.

This issue also blends a bit into the defense, especially when you have guys like Luke, Marino, and Nemec, for now, out there with Hughes.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
I still don't hate the idea of going with the 'pairs' being Hischier-Bratt (this one needs to be a thing IMO regardless) & Meier-Hughes (I still think they could work). As for 3C, I've been a big Nic Roy proponent if Vegas has to shed some $ & would move him. Can they afford to have a guy slotted at 4C making $3 million? Another guy I wonder about, would Seattle move Yanni Gourde? They have Shane Wright as a FT guy next season & it sounds like they may wanna target scoring in FA, so clearing Gourde's money could be valuable to them. Also, another name I have said quite a bit lately is Michael Amadio as a middle six winger, and I see his name right above here again.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Bratt has proven to be shifty enough to do damage against bigger physical players and he doesn’t shy away from battles. Hischier might not be pushing guys around, but he’s not a problem there. Meier can more than handle his own and dish them out.

The main thing really is you need to get Hughes good linemates when the games get tough, like how they played him with Palat/Haula at times. You also need to limit the softer, less physical guys like Toffoli, Holtz, Sharangovich, and situationally Bratt around him so teams can’t just brute force their way to neutralize an entire line.

This issue also blends a bit into the defense, especially when you have guys like Luke, Marino, and Nemec out there with Hughes.
Meier is the only player that can remotely be considered difficult to play against and it doesn't really show up all that consistently. Nico is just not physical at all.

And I love Bratt but when games have gotten a bit intense, he's the first to get the alligator arms and stay far away from the fray.

If anyone thinks adding a 3rd liner or two is going to change any of that I think they're nuts.

I agree about the defense being to soft now too. That definitely compounds the issues as you mentioned.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

This issue also blends a bit into the defense, especially when you have guys like Luke, Marino, and Nemec, for now, out there with Hughes.
Imagine how good Matthew Tkachuk would've looked on Jacks wing.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Meier is the only player that can remotely be considered difficult to play against and it doesn't really show up all that consistently. Nico is just not physical at all.

And I love Bratt but when games have gotten a bit intense, he's the first to get the alligator arms and stay far away from the fray.

If anyone thinks adding a 3rd liner or two is going to change any of that I think their nuts.

I agree about the defense being to soft now too. That definitely compounds the issues as you mentioned.
I don’t think you have to be physical to be difficult to play against. You just have to be able to still be effective when the games get physical. Bratt and Hischier can do that. Hughes struggles unless his teammates can open up space for him.

My thought process is moreso that if you get two more Haula types, let’s say for the sake of this discussion, you add Henrique and Noesen before next year:

Palat - Hischier - Bratt
Haula - Hughes - Meier
Noesen - Henrique - Mercer
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
Holtz - MacDermid

At any given point, you can play Hughes with two of Palat, Haula, Meier, Noesen, or Henrique. Guys that can hold their own and create space for him.

Hughes is skilled enough to create offense regardless of who he is with. Devils need to rely on that a bit until he doesnt get pushed around as much. If he’s playing with two third liners in away games where you can’t control matchups, so be it.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
sure maybe not, but hes like 6'5'' 230 lbs

since I know a certain faction of this board is obsessed with big guys
I don't believe that faction exists. It's a strawman commonly used against someone saying they want tougher guys to play against. You can say someone "competes in every puck battle like it's their last, out hustles everyone, goes to the net every chance they get and is 6'5," and someone would respond, "you think just because he is big it makes him good."

I believe that is where they idea these people might exist come from. From making them up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad