Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Do we have to dig up your old Bratt posts to show you going overboard on your pet hates?

This contract exists and isn’t going anywhere next season. It’s not the end of the world, get over it.

And you just divided his salary by goals, so I’m not interested in your critique of these numbers either.
View attachment 853739View attachment 853740
Where are these 13 goals coming from?

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
He cost us 545k per goal this year

Around the league, there are few examples of $5M+ third line wingers with as much term as Palat. Most of these contracts (Jamie Benn, Cam Atkinson, Rielly Smith) expire at the end of next season. For example, Jamie Benn makes $9.5M this season and is UFA in 2025. It's more common to have third line centers with big contracts (Copp, William Karlsson, Kotkaniemi). But 2/3 of the centers mentioned are playoff bound and post season lineups generally evolve (might also be the reason they made the playoffs in the first place).

Depends on how you want to frame the Palat contract as it relates to our forward group. If you believe he can be a complementary player for our top 6, then it's a great contract. If you think he's just a third line winger, then I can see the contract as a nuisance.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Where are these 13 goals coming from?

“Each card shows a player’s current performance in each category (pro-rated to 82 games), as well as an end-of-season forecast based on projections for the remainder of the season.”

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
“Each card shows a player’s current performance in each category (pro-rated to 82 games), as well as an end-of-season forecast based on projections for the remainder of the season.”
Oh so we are going to make believe that our 33 yr old forward is going to play every game. Gotcha. Zero chance

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Oh so we are going to make believe that our 33 yr old forward is going to play every game. Gotcha. Zero chance
Utterly bizarre as always

Over 30 Forward list and games played:
IMG_5234.jpeg

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

Palat also played 71 gms. Its not like he missed half a season.

Just a terrible attempt to jab back at @Guttersniped and her season metrics graph

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Ya post only the top of the list. Palat belongs way closer to the bottom. Last 4 seasons he has averaged missing aprox 20 games per year. He is actually due to play about 40 this year if you follow the pattern. I don’t care if you think it is the best contract in the world. He can’t produce enough anymore to play third line on most teams

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Do we have to dig up your old Bratt posts to show you going overboard on your pet hates?

This contract exists and isn’t going anywhere next season. It’s not the end of the world, get over it.

And you just divided his salary by goals, so I’m not interested in your critique of these numbers either.
View attachment 853739View attachment 853740
I couldnt see who you were quoting. Logged out of my account..

tumblr_pvd0x4efmp1snteogo5_540.gif

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Ya post only the top of the list.
That top 75 is literally the top 50% of players who are over 30 (153 Players)

Guess who is 76th?
IMG_5238.jpeg

Heres the bottom, so LOL at you.

IMG_5239.jpeg

Palat belongs way closer to the bottom. Last 4 seasons he has averaged missing aprox 20 games per year. He is actually due to play about 40 this year if you follow the pattern.
These are lies and assumptions based on nothing.

I don’t care if you think it is the best contract in the world.
You lie. I never said I liked the contract. This is a move the goalposts attempt by you.

I like the player. Contract is a bit rich. But it didn’t hurt our cap last season, this season. It won’t next season and probably the season after that. Call me in the last year or two. Until then, its over the top hate as I said.

He can’t produce enough anymore to play third line on most teams
This is also a lie and another attempt to move the goalposts from your initial remark of insisting 33 year old forwards can’t play full seasons. Palat is in the top level of D metrics as a forward. Thats his worth. And yes, his point production is good enough for 3rd lines everywhere.

Next.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think Palat played particularly bad this year, he did a lot of good things to help make life easier than other players. I think he's more of a victim of constantly getting shuffled around the lineup in attempts to get other lines going.

At the end of the day he's a 6M player and he needs to have *SOME* level of tangible production. He's overpaid and we all know that, but it's not the end of the world. He's far from the top of the list of problems.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada

Guess who is 76th?
View attachment 853814

View attachment 853815

You lie. I never said I liked the contract. This is a move the goalposts attempt by you.

I like the player. Contract is a bit rich. But it didn’t hurt our cap last season, this season. It won’t next season and probably the season after that. Call me in the last year or two. Until then, its over the top hate as I said.

This is also a lie and another attempt to move the goalposts from your initial remark of insisting 33 year old forwards can’t play full seasons. Palat is in the top level of D metrics as a forward. Thats his worth. And yes, his point production is good enough for 3rd lines everywhere.

Next.
I said ‘our 33 yr old ‘ player. Somehow you thought I was including palat in with the crosbys of the league. You and your metrics. We need goals

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palat needed to score a few more goals. But he had a very good season to me. He wasn’t a guy that played far below expectations, so I don’t really get the need to poo on him. We all know he’s paid a little too much. Get over it. How many cup teams had overpaid bums on their roster, let alone slightly overpaid solid players?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Guess who is 76th?
View attachment 853814

View attachment 853815

Next.
It’s not a lie if you believe it!

George Costanza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad